• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Every Family Has One...

Irene Wilde

Which one are you?

Every family (broad sweeping generalization there) has that "problem" child, even if it's a 62-year-old Uncle Ernie. The one everyone knows about and is embarassed by. The chronic liar, the one that picks a fight at the family picnic, the alcoholic, the wife beater -- they take many forms.

Also, every family (painting with the same wide brush here), has a member who believes everything they are told, who believes Uncle Ernie is really in the CIA, or had no choice but to call Cousin Hortencia that very foul name in front of the children, had the flu, or Aunt Sally really is that accident prone.

Today, I'm feeling like the family idiot who bought all the excuses and outrageous stories that never made sense.

Does there come a point when you "write off" Uncle Ernie? Or do you keep sweeping him under the rug and wishing he'd go away?

Sorry, Irene, i'm neither one, If you take the close family, i'm the black sheep, the one who runs off, doesn't care what people think, picks fight for entertaining, is rude and everything else you want imagine.
But if you take the larger family, i'm the one who says what everybody thinks, and critisize UNCLE ERNIE, i'm the one who tells the truth... :D
which one are you?

Apparently, I'm the one who thought, until yesterday, Uncle Ernie really was in the CIA. Only it wasn't Uncle Ernie, and it wasn't the CIA -- it was someone much closer and the lie much more significant.

I can sympathise on feeling like the family fool. I discovered 2 years ago, that after 20 years of believing I had no cousins, I actually had one living 5 minutes up the road from me, who's my age. His girlfriend went to school with my brother. I also had another aunt and uncle that my parents had neglected to mention. My brother (indeed, pretty much all my family) knew all about it, but never thought it worth mentioning... :rolleyes:

Six months later, the other side of the family decided to reveal their secrets. I was shocked, to say the least. Now I keep expecting someone to announce something else. I'm convinced I'm adopted (although our blood groups match and I look like both my mum and dad and siblings) or have a long lost twin knocking around somewhere.

I can't say we have an drunken Uncle Ernie character, but I do have an uncle who's hiding out in Australia (I think). He makes contact about once a year to accuse the family of random crimes and then disappears again. I do hope he seeks help soon.

We do have one of each in my family, but I'm neither. Not any more at least. It's just a matter of being fooled enough times before you start doubting everything.

We do have the guy in the family who likes the sweet smell of prison. He always want to go back. Perhaps because of all the new friends he get there and all the great ideas they have for getting back there as fast as possible.

:D you all have very interesting families! The only secret that i couldn't figure out yet, is why i am 5 years younger than my sister. so my family is rather boring.

The one everyone knows about and is embarassed by. The chronic liar, the one that picks a fight at the family picnic, the alcoholic, the wife beater -- they take many forms.
That's my brother - luckily, he isn't married yet.

Cheers

Embarras the shit out of the rest of the family - I commend him for staying true to himself, but there's nothing wrong with keeping your shirt on at weddings.

Cheers

Martin said:
Embarras the shit out of the rest of the family - I commend him for staying true to himself, but there's nothing wrong with keeping your shirt on at weddings.
Cheers

true, but what would you talk about at family meetings, if he kept his clothes on?

honeydevil said:
:D you all have very interesting families! The only secret that i couldn't figure out yet, is why i am 5 years younger than my sister. so my family is rather boring.

Yeh yeh, you wait. All families have secrets. I used to say my family was so normal it was dull, then BOOM! Everything kicked off.

That's very true - every family has secrets. I thought my family was odd until I got myself a girlfriend.

Sheesh!

Cheers

Martin said:
Point well made - his tattoos do make for lovely conversation.

Cheers

see, that's what i'm talking about. If you don't have somebody in the family who is different, then somebody will find somebody who's underwear is pink with hearts, or if you can't find anything odd, somebody will make something up

I'm from a tightly knit conservative family. My brother was the blacksheep, and I am the loner that doesn't quite fit in. Everyone else in the family talks multiple times a day, but I just don't have that much to say, mainly because I have completely different interests for whatever reasons.

I think i fit that bill also - I'm the only one that reads, the only one with an avid love for films, the only one ... etc, etc, etc.

Cheers

Martin, do you feel like it leads to a certain tension? My family gets frustrated with me, but I just keep hoping that one day they will get it: I'm just a little different. They think I hate them, and nothing could be farther from the truth. I think it ties into that whole xenophobic tendency of people: I don't understand this person, so something must be wrong with them.

To some extent it has, yes. I'm the only one in my immediate family that has (or will have) a college degree, and they tend to think that I think I'm smarter than them.

This has led to the occasional fight.

Cheers

Back