• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

eXistenZ

Cindy

I watched eXistenZ yesterday. I think it's great!
The story is great. and jude law is the best!!! i love his blue eyes! ;)
anyone has watched it before?
how do u think about it? and the ending?
do u think they have return to the real wolrd? i think there's kind of deep at that part but i just cannot tell what it's. it's like..um...people are too addicted to their dream and that they cannot distinguish between their dreams and the reality. is it gd or bad? it's really hard to tell.
anyway, jude law is so COOL!!!

I saw it a long time ago, and remembered a couple of distinct things:
1. A console that plugs into a person's body would take too much of my free time, and wouldn't allow me to read any books.
2. It's was a strange movie. The premise made me think about the possibility of actually being in a game without plugging out. What about simple sustenance?
3. The ending was good. Took me by surprise.
4. I still don't like Jude Law.

ds

Cindy said:
I watched eXistenZ yesterday. I think it's great!

I have it on DVD. It's one of Cronenberg's better films - alongside Naked Lunch, Crash, and Spider.

do u think they have return to the real wolrd?

Yes, I think they have.

anyway, jude law is so COOL!!!

Two mentions of Jude Law - are you sure you've not been blinded from the actual film. Maybe you should go watch Gattaca and The Talented Mr. Ripley.

I will try to get the vcds, i mean Gattaca and The talented Mr. Ripley, later.
i think these 2 will be as great as eXistenZ, b'coz i love Jude law so much!
I think he's really charming, especially his eyes and he acts really well.

I loved eXistenZ! First time I saw it I was amazed by the intense, visceral feel and look the movie had, and when I watch it today the entire atmosphere surrounding the film astounds me.

Cheers

SillyWabbit said:
REALLY? I have heard SO much about how BAD this movie is!
That's the general concensus of people who need a straight storyline and every scene spelt out for them.

I thought it was poor - bad acting (particularly from Jude Law, who I am not a fan of); clunky storyline. Nothing of real interest.

And before I get pounded about how I must be one of *those* people who "need a straight storyline and every scene spelt out for them", I certainly am not. I just didn't enjoy this film.

magemanda said:
And before I get pounded about how I must be one of *those* people who "need a straight storyline and every scene spelt out for them", I certainly am not. I just didn't enjoy this film.
don't mind stewart, he's just lacking in some of the social niceties.

I saw it years ago at the cinema and remember thinking it was odd but very good, and very much something different for the time it was released.

I really can't remember much else, except that I enjoyed it. My, this is a fascinating post! :D

In the commentary I think Cronenberg at least more or less states that the world in the end is the real one. There are some hints in the beginning of the movie that they're in a virtual world and that they're aware of that. The scenes in which the car is in movement was shot by the old fashioned method by having a projection screen behind the car to give it a surreal look and at the gas station Allegra is trying out the physics of the world by kicking up dust and throwing a small rock at the gas pump.

If you liked eXistenZ then I recommend Videdrome which has a similar theme. It also happens to be one of my favourite movies.

I've read some about it and although Criterion editions are freaking expensive and I already own a copy of the movie Videdrome, if I ever buy a criterion movie it'll be Videodrome.

Back