• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

fairy tale fans

scullyx101

i've been really into reading re-told fairy tales lately and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. i've been reading a lot by donna jo napoli and am really loving her work. i've also looked into mercedes lacky and gregory maguire but haven't actually read any of their stuff yet - so if anyone could tell me about them that would be great. the problem is that when i look for these re-told fairy tales i just find a lot of kids books, i dont mind YA though, it's just that i'm 19 years old and would like to read books where the words aren't the size of my hand and there's a little bit of substance, which is why i like napoli so much. technicly she's a kids writer, but in the books i've read she's dealt with some mature subject matter. so, if anyone has any suggestions as to what i might enjoy, it would be much appreciated. thanks

oh, and i also found a book called "The empress' new lingerie", Fairy tales with an erotic twist!! very entertaining ;) by the way

I understand that Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
by Gregory Maguire is pretty good.

Mercedes Lackey is awesome. She’s one of my favorite authors. She’s written several fairy tales: The Black Swan, Firebird, The Fairy Godmother, The Eagle and the Nightingales, The Fire Rose, Gates of Sleep, Phoenix and Ashes, and The Serpent's Shadow.

I would also recommend these books:
Deerskin, Rose Daughter, Spindle's End, and Beauty by Robin McKinley
Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
Briar Rose by Jane Yolen

This website lists many other fairy tale books: http://www.skyehidesigns.com/index/titles.html

Briar Rose is excellent. Our senior students read it and like it, so perhaps that may be ok for you.

Look for Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling's collections of retold fairy tales.
I've read The Faery Reel and highly recommend it as a great place to start. It also has information about each of the story writers, and offers lists of similar works(I love lists!). Do a search at Amazon for the other titles in the series. I also read Snow White, Blood Red-but prefered The Faery Reel.

If you want something light and funny to add into this list, look into Politically correct fairy tales. I forget who it was that wrote these, but they were really funny.

Duff

I love reading fairy tale books.My favourite is little red riding hood and snow white.
These means so much to me because i used to read them when i was a kid.
These type of books actully say somethink to you even though there not real..:rolleyes:

Juliet Marillier's Sevenwaters Trilogy
- Daughter of the Forest
- Son of the Shadows
- Child of the Prophecy

The last two books discuss the aftermath of the retelling of the six swans fairy tale.

The only other book I can think of offhand is The Black Swan by Mercedes Lackey.

francesca is my absolute favotire author, her fairy tale book is called the rose and the beast and it's fantastic, thanks to everyone for the suggestions i've added them to my list and hopefully will be able to get my hands on them soon. :)

scullyx101 said:
i've been really into reading re-told fairy tales lately and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
YES YES YES YES!!!
It's called Beanstalk, by Jack Rackham published by DAW books.
LOVE IT!!!

I have a series of fairy tales somewhere that are color-coded. Like, there's The Pink Book of Fairy Tales and the Yellow Book of Fairy Tales and such. I know there were more volumes in more colors, but I only own those two. They were pretty good. I used to read three stories before I went to sleep every night.

Back