• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fascinating scientific stuff

Plus, what on earth was up with Gillian Anderson's hair in that episode... that had an 'ancient evil' vibe all of its own...

I am drawing a blank. The only episode like that I can remember is the one with the trees and the bugs.

That episode was also a bad hair day for Ms. Anderson.

I don't what's worse though, that I know such trivia or that I actually know the names of both of those episodes ;-) this is what happens when you watch the entire box-set through on DVD...

They made it!

Russians drill into previously untouched Lake Vostok below Antarctica

Russian scientists have drilled into the vast, dark and never-before-touched Lake Vostok 2.2 miles below the surface of Antarctica, according to a source quoted Monday by Ria Novosti, a state-run Russian news agency.

“Yesterday, our scientists stopped drilling at the depth of 3,768 meters and reached the surface of the subglacial lake,” the source was quoted as saying. The news agency described the source as saying the team had “finally managed to pierce” the ice sheet into Vostok.

It’s funny, Will, because I really, really love art like that. I found a bunch of it somewhere or other, and saved it to the computer.

It’s kind of a mix of fantasy meets comic book meets horror; I would love to know where to find more stuff like that.

The few I downloaded were just unreal.

I just Google image searched for the big one; there's so much really cool art out there online from commercial through to fan stuff.

ok, I'm going to break the Ice :whistling:
Dolphins Learn to Speak in Whale song !
Five dolphins at a dolphinarium in France have been found doing more tricks than just flipping balls when they have been observed talking in whale song.
Ethologist Martine Hausberger of the University of Rennes and her colleagues had hung underwater microphones in the tank because little is known about what dolphins sound like at night. One night, they suddenly heard 25 whale-like sounds the dolphins had never made before. ----- Peter Tyack, a biologist at the University of St. Andrews in the United Kingdom who studies animal vocalization, says that the idea that dolphins might delay their rehearsals for hours is intriguing.
Dolphins Mimic Whale Song During Sleep, French Scientists Say : Hello Sparkchaser & Beer good ! :p

Have you seen Finding Nemo ?? I remembered a scene of this movie, when Dory talks also in whale dialect ... Maybe these dolphins watched the same movie ;)

Perhaps. ;)

Seriously though, I wonder if the dolphins are just mimicking stuff they heard before captivity or they "know" they are practicing whalesong.

Yeah.

You can teach a dog to shake hands, but that doesn't mean it knows what it's doing.

Still, interesting.

Back