• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fascinating scientific stuff

DNA’s Power to Predict Illness Is Limited !
While sequencing the entire DNA of individuals is proving fantastically useful in understanding diseases and finding new treatments, it is not a method that will, for the most part, predict a person’s medical future. - Dr. Bert Vogelstein of Johns Hopkins, who, with his colleague, analyzed the power of sequencing all of a person’s DNA to determine an individual’s risk of disease, involved data from 53,666 identical twins in registries from the United States, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Norway .
(( It's curious, only twins from Scandinavia ...:confused: Why Beer good ?? ))​
---- The registries included data on 24 diseases, telling how often one twin, both or neither got a disease. (...) The new study concludes, it is not going to be possible to say that, for example, Type 2 diabetes will occur with absolute certainty unless a person keeps a normal weight...
DNA POWER !!

Not, I was referring to countries in Blue bold - The United States was not in bold !! ;)
ok, now I am waiting your answer :lol:

Not, I was clarifying your doubt in my text box :whistling:
ok then, why twins from Scandinavia ?? :lol:

Beer good at the end, I found an interesting answer about the Twins from Scandinavia ;) - ( Although maybe, there are other reasons )
A Scandinavian twins study tries to determine if the likelihood of developing certain kinds of cancers is more closely linked to environmental exposures than genetics. The results of this large-scale study revealed that environmental factors are linked to twice as many cancers as genetic factors...

Genetics and the Environment - A Scandinavian twin study

Resistant Bacteria found in Ancient Cave could hold key to new Antibiotics !!

Researchers from McMaster University and the University of Akron have found an antibiotic-resistant bacteria that could be good news for fighting superbugs . The bacteria are not dangerous to humans and are not capable of causing human disease, the scientists said ... (( Cool, then I will give this kind of bacterias like a pet on Christmas Day ! :whistling: :rolleyes:)) ( ... ) They have never been exposed to human sources of antibiotics, but researchers found that almost all of the bacteria were resistant to at least one antibiotic; some were found to be resistant to as many as 14 antibiotics—in total, resistance was found to almost every antibiotic currently used in medicine today... --- The use of antibiotics in agriculture has made it difficult for scientists to study the resistance question in bacteria living in our environment, as it is hard to find a location that has not been affected by the use of antibiotics in some way. So, the Lechuguilla Cave environment, discovered in 1986 and since having its access limited, has been the perfect environment, scientists said, to study the pre-existing reservoir of antibiotic resistance in nature .

Lechuguilla Cave Bacteria

- Hello , is there anybody in there ?? :whistling:
HUMAN INTELLIGENCE : Does It Depend on a Genetic Error ??
Scientists may have just found a "Missing link" in the form of a partial duplicate gene (( SRGAP2 )) that may be responsible for human brain development - the most distinguishing characteristic of our species. The genetic variation occurred in man’s ape-like ancestor about two or three million years ago . . Actually, an error that created a duplicate gene long ago may be responsible for features of the human brain that distinguish us from our closest Primate kin . ( ... ) This discovery means that changes in the SRGAP2 gene would have changed brain development- both immediately and dramatically- For example, changes in behavior would be noticeable immediately, with the primates able to communication ...
EU Science News : Scripps Research Institute Scientists

Solar Eclipse

I didn't have any special equipment to record this so I have a couple "pinhole camera" style pics to share.

The eclipse as seen on my wall through mini-blinds

aimg818.imageshack.us_img818_310_eclipse2012may20minibli.jpg

and through the leaves of a small tree.

aimg577.imageshack.us_img577_2984_eclipse2012may20tree.jpg

BABOONS Can Learn Reading Skills !
Scientists have trained baboons to distinguish English words from similar-looking nonsense words by recognizing common arrangements of letters. Baboons and other monkeys are good pattern finders and what they are doing may be what we first do in recognizing words . In 300,000 tests, the six baboons distinguished between real and fake words . The researchers showed the baboons English words consisting of four capital letters, such as "DONE" or "LAND." They also showed "nonwords" that looked similar to words, such as "DRAN" or "LONS." ( ... ) " While we use language to solve problems in our heads, such as deciphering words (( yes, I have a keen interest in dictionaries :whistling: )), it seems that baboons use a "remarkably sophisticated" method to attack problems without language " --- The study shows that reading's early steps are far more instinctive than scientists first thought and it also indicates that non-human primates may be smarter than we give them credit for.

Monkey see, monkey read - YouTube

Monkey See, Monkey Do. Monkey Read? - ScienceNOW

A Mirage called TULIP !​
A weird tulip-shaped creature discovered fossilized in 500-million-year-old rocks had a feeding system like no other known animal... The creature, named " Siphusauctum gregarium " is so strange in appearance – it does not resemble any other species, alive or extinct – that it took scientists nearly thirty years to figure out how to exactly describe its appearance and hypothesize how it lived . Researchers at the Royal Ontario Museum speculate that the tulip-like animal was soft-bodied and lived on the ocean floors 500 million years ago, during the Cambrian period .
Bizarre tulip-shaped creature is related to nothing else on Earth

I saw something about that on the news, yeah. Fascinating. Do you know if anyone's written it up somewhere?

Back