• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fascinating scientific stuff

Well, I was checking out the websites of the CNRS & the Aix-Marseille University , I found this reference :
- Orthographic processing in baboons (papio papio) .
In fact, there is a document online ( and free ) called graingeretal.pdf ... Also, I found some old articles in the Journal of Experimental Psychology from University of Provence about this matter ...

Apparently, penguins - you know, those cute little tuxedo-clad birds - are necrophiliac rapist murderers. No, it's not the new EL James book, but important knowledge that's been kept from us for 100 years:
'Sexual depravity' of penguins that Antarctic scientist dared not reveal | World news | The Observer

Levick then used this material as the basis for a separate short paper, Sexual Habits of the Adélie Penguin, which was privately circulated among a handful of experts.
I bet it was.

An interesting article for posing a question . Do animals have moral codes ??
I thought that applying moral and ethical parameters to animals behaviour has been an human mistake . The most of free Animals act and react by instinct, not by moral ... The meaning of Sexual Depravity is so cruel for this kind of non-rational animals . ---I have to admit that I feel bad when for example, I'm watching a Common chimpanzee beat up their female kind during its mating habit but i don't judge this behaviour .... I Guess I'm Just a sensitive person ...

INSECTS can use PLANTS as Green PHONES !​

First evidence of voicemail in nature- The scientists discovered that soil-dwelling and aboveground insects are able to communicate with each other using the plant as a telephone. Insects eating plant roots change the chemical composition of the leaves, causing the plant to release volatile signals into the air. This can convince aboveground insects to select another food plant in order to avoid competition and to escape ... The New study shows that insects leave a specific legacy that remains in the soil after they have fed on a plant. And future plants growing on that same spot can pick up these signals from the soil and pass them on to other insects. Those messages are really specific: the new plant can tell whether the former one was suffering from leaf-eating caterpillars or from root-eating insects . --- How long are these voicemail messages kept in the soil?

Insects receive soil messages from the past

BRACHIOSAUR in top form !​
British scientists have discovered that dinosaurs were a lot lighter than we used to think . The team of biologists used 14 large-framed modern mammals including the bison, camel, elephant, giraffe, horse, elk, polar bear and rhinoceros to devise a new method of estimating body mass using only the skeleton - It's a mathematical technique that effectively wraps a skin as tightly as it can around the bones - a method that was "completely objective" and did not require artistic interpretation ( ... ) The study revealed that the weight of modern-day animals was 21 per cent more than the so-called "wrapping volume" - which equation was then applied to the dinosaur bones . -They estimated that the specimen of Brachiosaur, long believed to have weighed as much as 80 tons, actually weighed closer to 23 tons .
I hope, they use this equation for other skeletons such as : Tyrannosaurus, Diplodocus, Titanosaurus, Triceraptors ....
New Technique Shaves Tons Off Dinosaur Weight
Dinosaurs were lighter than previously thought

I was intrigued regarding the Equation applied to the dinosaur bones ... I was checking out my books and other links and I found this interesting experiment ...
I am sure that Beer good will do it tomorrow ! ;)
Dinosaur Mass

That is fascinating, thanks for posting! I can't help wonder how closely you can compare mammals and reptiles though, but since there aren't any large warm-blooded reptiles to measure today I suppose this is a pretty good guesstimate.

Cosmic Variance | Discover Magazine

CERN is going to share with us what the most recent LHC data are saying about the Higgs (and whatever else might have popped up, I guess) in a seminar on July 4th at CERN itself, just before the ICHEP conference in Melbourne. Excerpt from the press release:

If and when a new particle is discovered, ATLAS and CMS will need time to ascertain whether it is the long sought Higgs boson, the last missing ingredient of the Standard Model of particle physics, or whether it is a more exotic form of the boson that could open the door to new physics.

“It’s a bit like spotting a familiar face from afar,” said CERN Director General Rolf Heuer, “sometimes you need closer inspection to find out whether it’s really your best friend, or actually your best friend’s twin.”

Suggestive.

I can't help wonder how closely you can compare mammals and reptiles though, but since there aren't any large warm-blooded reptiles to measure today I suppose this is a pretty good guesstimate.
Well, there are several reasons for this explanation ... Actually, everything is related to the famous controversy between endothermic/ectothermic .
Broadly speaking :
* I remember that once, I talked about the Isotopic Geochemistry related to Alaskan dinosaurs ... I found this english article Warm-Blooded Cretaceous Dinosaurs - CNRS Web site - CNRS of Eric Buffetaut ( I have his books )
* The study of bone tissue & Bone histology of Dinosaurs reflects the effects of a fast growing like mammals ... However, an ectotherm reptil has a slow growing .
--- I know other reasons, but it's difficult to explain it in depth ....

Back