• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fav Poets

yep bukowski is my favourite, i also like some works by elliot and dare i mention Ted Hughes - yes i dare.

Also i have a friend who is a manchester poet, he has a new book out which is marvellous *shameless plug warning* his book is called something like "the book of matthew" i'm not fond of the title - too religious and misleading, the poems are really good though, oh and his name is Matthew Whelton. His poetry reading are fun, he insists on reading from memory rather than a book so i always get worried during his dramatic pauses that he's forgotten the next line. lol he hasn't yet (atleast not in front of me)

L Sissay can kiss my arse especially that rubbish on the side of hardy's well in Rusholme (hopefully it's been painted off now)

ksky

watercrystal said:
The other day, I was always thinking about a poem, which seemed written by Robert Burns. It was about he was leaving somewhere to somewhere, thus in the poem, he described the river, the montain,etc., i just could not get the title of it. so frustrating, because i really liked it.
I don't know many Burns' poems, but there is one I know about leaving: "My heart's in the Highlands". Don't know if this is the one you mean, but is also beautiful. :)

Has anyone read any Pablo Neruda? I'm not one for sappy love poems, but I must say I can't get enough Neruda. The poems are translated from spanish, and its got quite a different flair if you're used to strictly english poetry. Quite a bit....how can I say...."fleshier". I recomend "Tonight I can Write the Saddest Lines...." "In My Sky at Twilight..." and really anything else he wrote.

Also Robert Browning. I particularly like his "Porphyria's Lover" which MAY be my favorite poem of all time. Its a GREAT one for discussion. I get goosebumps just thinking of it. I also highly reccomend his wife, Elizabeth Barret Browning. There's quite a story about their lives too, that's worth looking into.

I better stop now or I'll be going all day :p

Oh! Haha! I almost forgot to say (shields herself from the blows) I can't stand Walt Whitman. I find him too self-centered. Hate me if you must :)

Rosie said:
Oh! Haha! I almost forgot to say (shields herself from the blows) I can't stand Walt Whitman. I find him too self-centered. Hate me if you must :)

I second that. There's an occasional one that's OK, but for the most part he's awful.

Rosie said:
Has anyone read any Pablo Neruda? I'm not one for sappy love poems, but I must say I can't get enough Neruda. The poems are translated from spanish, and its got quite a different flair if you're used to strictly english poetry. Quite a bit....how can I say...."fleshier". I recomend "Tonight I can Write the Saddest Lines...." "In My Sky at Twilight..." and really anything else he wrote.

Also Robert Browning. I particularly like his "Porphyria's Lover" which MAY be my favorite poem of all time. Its a GREAT one for discussion. I get goosebumps just thinking of it. I also highly reccomend his wife, Elizabeth Barret Browning. There's quite a story about their lives too, that's worth looking into.

I better stop now or I'll be going all day :p

Yes, Pablo is wonderful! Buying some of his poetry is on my list of things to do before I die :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Idun said:
I don't know many Burns' poems, but there is one I know about leaving: "My heart's in the Highlands". Don't know if this is the one you mean, but is also beautiful. :)

Yes! yes,yes,yes! Idun, that is the one!!!! *a kiss * :) (just read this forum again, didn't know you have given me the answere! thank you! Idun.)

Cheers,
watercrystal

I somehow missed this thread!

Li Young Lee
William Stafford
Afred Tennyson
Dylan Thomas
Robert Frost
Shakespeare
William Blake
Edgar Allan Poe
Louise Gluck
Rumi

A stanza from Rumi:
Love rests on no foundation.
It is an endless ocean, with no beginning or end.
Imagine, a suspended ocean, riding on a cushion of ancient secrets.
All souls have drowned in it, and now dwell there.
One drop of that ocean is hope, and the rest is fear.​

I could go on and on....

W.B. Yeats, W.E. Henley (purely for Invictus), John Milton, William Blake, Robert Frost, Lewis Carroll, Alfred, Lord Tennyson and John Keats, to name but a few.

Up until fairly recently I abhorred poetry (primarily due to repeated exposure to the dire anthologies selected for school study, and the analysing-to-death associated with it), but having found a few superb selections I have developed quite a taste, if a refined and sometimes peculiar one, for it.

Robert William Service is my favourite poet. He's the poet for the person who hates poetry.
John

Amateur Poet

You see that sheaf of slender books
Upon the topmost shelf,
At which no browser ever looks,
Because they're by . . . myself;
They're neatly bound in navy blue,
But no one ever heeds;
Their print is clear and candid too,
Yet no one ever reads.

Poor wistful books! How much they cost
To me in time and gold!
I count them now as labour lost,
For none I ever sold;
No copy could I give away,
For all my friends would shrink,
And look at me as if to say:
"What waste of printer's ink!"

And as I gaze at them on high,
Although my eyes are sad,
I cannot help but breathe a sigh
To think what joy I had -
What ecstasy as I would seek
To make my rhyme come right,
And find at last the phrase unique
Flash fulgent in my sight.

Maybe that rapture was my gain
Far more than cheap success;
So I'll forget my striving vain,
And blot out bitterness.
Oh records of my radiant youth,
No broken heart I'll rue,
For all my best of love and truth
Is there, alive in you.

--- Robert Service, Rhymes of a Roughneck 1950

Cin said:
A stanza from Rumi:
Love rests on no foundation.
It is an endless ocean, with no beginning or end.
Imagine, a suspended ocean, riding on a cushion of ancient secrets.
All souls have drowned in it, and now dwell there.
One drop of that ocean is hope, and the rest is fear.​
My colleague from university loves this poet. He once read his poetry on classes and I was really impressed and surprised I had never before heard of him. If I remember correctly, Rumi is from some Asian country, I think India, isn't he?

Idun said:
My colleague from university loves this poet. He once read his poetry on classes and I was really impressed and surprised I had never before heard of him. If I remember correctly, Rumi is from some Asian country, I think India, isn't he?

A friend of mine introduced me to Rumi, otherwise I might never have picked him up off the shelf!

Rumi was born in 1207 in what is now known as Afghanistan. Often called "The Great Persian Poet." A lot of his work clearly bears the stamp of his culture, but much of it transcends any time or place. It is nice to hear of others enjoying his work too.

Charles Bukowski is my favorite poet, but other favorites of mine include Naomi Shihab Nye, e.e. cummings, Sylvia Plath, and Seamus Heaney.

Back