• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite book to recommend

I don't really recommend books, just authors. Even then it's only if I know the person has similar reading tastes.

A great one for just about anyone is a gem called Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living. It is updated every few years to contain the most up to date information possible for every aspect of living in the country and working towards self-sufficiency. Even if the reader would never imagine themselves canning or growing their own food, the book is great. There's also a wealth of information on how to survive without power..something that can happen at any time. Besides, Carla Emery is a terrific writer and the book is just fun to read!

She even includes a chapter on emergency childbirth..as in the baby's coming and there's no doctor...how not to panic!

That's a very pragmatic choice abecedarian! I wish I had read a book like that and had a book like that. There's a waterproof tearproof survival guide book of some sort available that I keep meaning to pick up. I'll worry about it after the rapture. My choice would be Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat. Man is absurd and this book brilliantly displays that.

I don't like to recommend books because unless you know the person very well, it is difficult to guess whether (s)he'll like it or not . I passed on some books I had enjoyed to colleagues who hated them. I myself have been given " great " books which I had to push myself to finish. It is embarrassing to have to tell the person who gave it to you that you didn't like it at all. However, I have been rather successful with novels by Arto Paasilinna, who is one of my favourite writers. Several people discovered this author they had never heard of before, thanks to me, and are now looking out for his novels.

I recommend both books and authors if people ask me, but too many to have a single "one size fits all" favorite to recommend. It tends to be friends looking forward for something to read on holiday, in which case I'll recommend something short or lighter - like Alistair McCall Smith.

I have one Aunt who is always looking for something to get her boys off the PS2 so I've been suggesting Jonathon Stroud and Philip Pullman.

That's a very pragmatic choice abecedarian! I wish I had read a book like that and had a book like that. There's a waterproof tearproof survival guide book of some sort available that I keep meaning to pick up. I'll worry about it after the rapture. My choice would be Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat. Man is absurd and this book brilliantly displays that.

I really like this book Ions. It is one of the most useful books ever and it is fun to read even if you think you'll never ever ever want to raise goats for fun and food..or need to know how to tell hemlock from other wild plants you'd want to eat:p

Oh and keep talking about Never Cry Wolf..I hear it calling my name from the basement..

The book I recommend most often is probably Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. It's a brilliant book - easy to read with an intriguing plot. It's a book that most would enjoy, I believe, especially as the future it paints for the Earth is very possible indeed.

I like to reccomend the Ballad series by Sharyn McCrumb, specially The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter, She Walks These Hills, and the Rosewood Casket, and Blood Lure by Nevada Barr..

For fantasy fans I like to suggest The Mirror of Her Dreams and A Man Rides Through by Stephen R.Donaldson, The Amber series by Roger Zelazny.

Back