• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

favorite bookmark

Janet H

I have a an old bookmark that I love. It's leather and not really thin enough to be a good book mark but it's a tactical tease and so I keep it.

What do you use to keep your place?
bookmark.jpg

I don't have a particular one right now, though I wish I did.:sad: The kids picked up a few PBS bookmarks that had stickers on them. Now that is a cool idea! I was a bit envious.;)

I have an old Garfield (the cat) bookmark that I bought in the mid 80's. I also have one my son made for me when he was little. It is just a piece of brown cardboard with an orange construction paper leaf glued to it with Mom scrawled on it in crayon. Which do you think is my fav? ;)

I honestly tried using 'real' bookmarks; really, I tried. They just disappear and I get angry because I spent money on them. I have much better luck with the freebies from magazines..you know, each issue has at least four perfectly sized, perforated bookmarks, just for me. I also like notecards, in case I find a word or phrase I want to remember later. Of course, there's no guarantee I'll have a pen handy, but I've lately started stashing a pencil in my poneytail or bun, just for such an occassion. Sometimes I remember to take it out before I go to town. Sometimes not. I get funny looks at the grocery store. You'd think they'd be used to me by now; I often forget to take off the lanyard holding my scissors...I hope they don't think I'm dangerous or something...

PS. Orphaned playing cards make wonderful bookmarks.. as do used greeting cards..

In the last couple of months I've been using this tassled bookmark that has beads on its string a lot. The bookmark has Sesshoumaru from the anime Inuyasha on it. I'm a Sesshy fan, what can I say? ;) Bookmark, keychain, playing card, stuffed toy... do you need more proof?

I picked up an interesting bookmark the other day. My kids had been looking at family photos from the basket under my bed, and one didn't make it back(only one?!?). Don't ask me why I even kept this one, there's no one's face in the shot..it's from the summer of 1976, when my mom and I drove to Florida to visit relatatives. I think I had a new camera that year, and I as rather snap-happy. The label on the back says, "Dardenelle Lake, Ark. What you can see is fuzzy green hills, a blurry blotch of blue, and my mom's hand on the wheel and the ugly dash of the '76 Granada. I bet no one else has one just like it:lol:

Your bookmark looks full of character, Janet.

ABC - I totally agree - there just seems to be ready-made bookmarks everywhere (though I can't say I have an abundance of loose playing cards! ;)), whilst the bought ones become lost. I only use a bookmark if someone notices I don't have one, and gives one to me. By that, I mean family - usually my mum, who's given me at least three in the last two weeks. They get left in books that begin as a pile on my bedside table, before ending up in a bigger pile on the floor, and then finally end up back in the bookcase. So, my mum's Big Ben bookmark is around 80 pages into The Book Thief.

I use random bits of card or even paper, found in my bag: train tickets are popular.

But there are some really pretty ones, for sure...

I used to have a couple favourite bookmarks but my dog ate them. She also likes to nibble on any book I'm in the middle of reading, so now I just use anything on hand to keep my place... hair elastic, utilities bill, shopping list, etc... If book and bookmark survive unscathed I consider myself lucky.

I almost always use a feather. I find blue jay feathers some times or a crow feather that seems to work for bigger books.

I have a lot of gray wolf book marks. Then I have my favorite bookmarks with sayings or quotes. One thing I found that happens is the tassels tend to unravel all to quickly. So I usually just cut them off. I have about 8 totally bookmarks to choose from.

I've never been attached to bookmarks and usually they went lost after a while. Since I've got a green bookworm I am crazy about it. My cat loves it as well and sometimes steals it out of the book if there's an ending looking out of the pages. I have days were I'm searching the whole house for my green bookworm just to find it between the cats toys, under the sofa or well hidden under her paws. :D

aimg516.imageshack.us_img516_4489_40422505ll6.jpg

i have a sesamie st bookmark with ernie and big bird it was given to me 20years ago when i was in primary school

I've never been attached to bookmarks and usually they went lost after a while. Since I've got a green bookworm I am crazy about it. My cat loves it as well and sometimes steals it out of the book if there's an ending looking out of the pages. I have days were I'm searching the whole house for my green bookworm just to find it between the cats toys, under the sofa or well hidden under her paws. :D

aimg516.imageshack.us_img516_4489_40422505ll6.jpg

Too cute!!

I worked with a girl whose boyfriend was in a band (small indy band in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia). Both my coworker and her boyfriend are big readers.

For their latest album release, they made book marks with a lyric from one of the tracks saying "Midnight creeps, like a strangler vine/Of soft black cloth and silver wire".

Mine is autographed ;)

BTW, the boyfriend's website is index

Back