• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite Fantasy Novels

callao

kickbox
I've been wanting to read a good fantasy novel for a while now. So can you name me some of you're favorite fantasy novels. Old or new novels, it dosen't matter as long as there good.Thanks.

lets see...

Knight of swords, queen of swords, king of swords - Michael Moorcock(otherwise known as the first trilogy of corum) really great, short and punchy. Stunniingly beautiful, Corum is the last of the Sidhe, tortured by the Mabden he escapes, and is given two mysterious gifts to help him find his love and discover why his race was doomed.

Legend - David Gemmel - Dros delnoch is under seige
Darwath trilogy - Barbara Hambly - The Dark have arrived, can Ingold unravel the mystery before it is too late.

kskyhappy

Anything by Clive Barker will pretty much blow your mind. Weaveworld is my favorite - it's like an imagination orgy. The Great and Secret Show is also fantastic. I love the name of that book!

The Winter of the World Trilogy by Michael Scott Rohan. It's a great set of books! Look it up some time! I recommend this one because A) it's great and B) nobody ever mentions it :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Severian said:
Gene Wolfe - The Book Of The New Sun
E.R. Eddison - The Worm Ouroboros

I guessed the 1st one from your username :) Good selection. Note to other people- it takes time to get used to the language in these 2

I didn't like Book of the New Sun at all. I got it because it was in the Masterworks series, but I can't for the life of me work out why. It seemed to drag on forever. And it wasn't a problem with the language, I just found it incredibly boring. I know there's a lot of people love this book, hence it being a so-called Masterwork, but I honestly don't get it.

Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle or A Tale of the Malazan Book fo the Fallen (Gardens of the Moon is the first book) by Steven Erikson

Ooh, good call. I liked Ash. Odd, but fun. But then with a violent, sword wielding heroine how could I resist its charms?

In my humble opinion, Book of the New Sun is a Masterwork in every sense of the world. Gene Wolfe is an artist and a master of the craft. Read his books people!

Gene Wolfe is excellent. I don't know how old you are but try it again in a few years.

I'm pretty wary of fantasy novels, for the most part it's something I left behind in adolescence.

I just got Time and the Gods by Lord Dunsany. I haven't read it yet but it looks wonderful.

Severian said:
Gene Wolfe is excellent. I don't know how old you are but try it again in a few years.
I'm older than you are and I only read it a couple years ago. :rolleyes:

I guess wisdom and maturity come early to some and to others, never! and like they say there's no accounting for taste.

:cool:

Back