• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite fiction and nonfiction sports books

Wait Till Next Year: A Memoir by Doris Kearns Goodwin. She is an excellent historian and this was a great book about the Yankees and 'dem bums who were such lovable losers in innocent 1950s America.

I also loved It Aint Cheating If You Don't Get Caught by Dan Gutman. This book has a ton of great stories. From Whitey Ford's spitter, to how the Washington Senator officials would place the balls in the freezer the night before the game. The Yanks would come to town and "thunk!" a pop fly 300 feet into the air rather than a home run. It was also a common tactic for a team's grounds crew to be given the order to leave the grass long if a team that hit a lot of line drives came to town. Other teams would hide balls randomly out in the outfield in the grass. George Brett is famous for having too much pine tar on his bat, and Greg Nettles hollowed out his bat and had a ton of rubber bouncy balls packed in to increase his bat speed. Unfortunately, his bat broke and a hundred balls went down the first base line.

Comeback by Dave Dravecky is also a good read. This poor guy broke his arm pitching and then made a miracle come back until his arm broke again. It had to be amputated. Cancer if I'm not mistaken.

Six Shooters by Dean Spiros - Story about the Sutter Brothers from Alberta Canada. Six brothers who all played in the NHL at the same time. There was a seventh brother who decided not to play, who was supposedly the best player of them all.

I read Best & Edwards by George Burn earlier this year. It was a great read - and, for a sports book, surprisingly literary.

best sports book of all time IMO ball four - jim bouton

I have heard this as well. I had a few people suggest Ball Four to me recently after listening to me bitch about Faithful, which is NOT one of the best sports books ever!

Favorite non-fiction is probably 'Have a Nice Day' by Mick Foley. Just an amazing autobiography by a really interesting, smart and funny guy.

Favorite non-fiction is probably 'Have a Nice Day' by Mick Foley. Just an amazing autobiography by a really interesting, smart and funny guy.

Have you read his other book Foley is Good? I am trying to decide if I should pick it up?

Yeah, I'd get it. It's not near as good as the first but it's still really worth picking up if you enjoyed the previous. I heard mixed reviews abuot the 3rd one he wrote, that just came out, and haven't picked it up yet.

The Game by Ken Dryden is an excellent book. He's a former goalie for the Montreal Canadiens who looks at his coach and teammates of the era, the politics of Quebec, and a rare insiders view as to what goes on in a dressing room. Excellent and highly recommended.

Back