• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Favorite new authors

Violanthe

Who are your favorite new authors - by which I mean authors who have only just started publishing in the last five to ten (at the most) years? What fresh faces would you recommend to readers stuck in an author rut? Who has the most potential? On the other hand, what new authors have you found disappointing?

Well, I haven't read as much as I used to recently because I quit smoking (yay me!) and found that my cigarette time was when I used to read. Argh. So that's been hard. But from what I have read recently from new authors:

I would definitely highly recommend Jenna Maclaine (historical paranormal romance/vampire) and Kim Harrison (urban fantasy/witch/vampire). I read the debut by Michelle Rowan (light, chick-lit-type vampires) recently which didn't really do anyhting for me but I can see potential there. A lot of other people liked it. I'm reading Minda Webber right now and I'm getting the same kind of vibe off it. So far it's hard to get into but maybe I'm just in a funk. My friend who loaned it to me really liked it. Anne Kelleher (fantasy) was really good. I don't know how new she is- I don't find many books by her- but she has a great imagination.

Gosh I'm sure there are lots more. Let me think about it some more.
M.

I would definitely highly recommend Jenna Maclaine (historical paranormal romance/vampire) and Kim Harrison (urban fantasy/witch/vampire). I read the debut by Michelle Rowan (light, chick-lit-type vampires)

Have you read any Laurell K Hamilton?

Have you read any Laurell K Hamilton?
Oh yes! All of them... many, many times. I like her books in the beginning of the series, not so much the last couple books. Funny how in the beginning I was complaining because it was all action and no sex and now I'm complaining because it's all sex and no action! LOL! I'm hoping she'll find her way back to a happy medium.

Well done for quitting smoking!!
Oh thanks! It's been six months now and I'm not so sure that you actually live longer if you quit smoking... I think maybe it just feels longer. My Dad wasn't kidding when he said quitting only bothered him for the first... oh... ten years or so. I really enjoy not worrying about whether or not I have enough cigarettes and I really enjoy not having the cough anymore and not being stinky but man do I miss my times during the day when I'd just take a time out and sit down with my book and a smoke and read a chapter.... But I didn't go through all this just to start back so I'm safe. I think if I make it to 70 though I'm going to take up smoking again. and possibly drinking and smoking pot. Yep, and I'm going to live on chocolate and cheescake too until my body craps out on me! :D :D I got a funny e-mail the other day that said something about feeling sorry for all the health nuts and how "they're going to feel really stupid one day, laying in the hospital, dying of nothing..." :D

Oh yes! All of them... many, many times. I like her books in the beginning of the series, not so much the last couple books. Funny how in the beginning I was complaining because it was all action and no sex and now I'm complaining because it's all sex and no action! LOL! I'm hoping she'll find her way back to a happy medium.

I recently read one of her books for the first time. I never thought I'd complain about a book having too much sex, but hers definitely did.

The only person I can think of is J. K. Rowling; I just finished the first Harry Potter book yesterday.

DanielTC said:
I just finished the first Harry Potter book yesterday.

I used to be like you. It's all downhill from here. You may not know it yet, but she has you wrapped around her little literary finger. Read on, anonymous internet friend; enjoy the series.

Downhill? Do you mean that because you found them so addicting (i.e. snowball factor) or because none of the rest are as good as the first?

Violanthe said:
I never thought I'd complain about a book having too much sex..

I was like that with Michel Houllebecque's Atomised. While it was understandable, to a point, it became tedious.

Let's see...

Jonathan Lethem, though I've only read "The Fortress Of Solitude" but it's an amazing novel and I plan to read everything he's published. (Hmm, I see now that he debuted in '94, but what the hell.)

There have been a couple of debuts over the last few years that I enjoyed a lot if not enough to call them masterpieces, but which could go either way in the future - Shteyngart, Safran Foer, Martel... but I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled.

Also, I recently read Helen Oyeyemi's "The Icarus Girl". Considering she was still a teenager when she wrote it, it's tremendous. Give her a couple of novels to hone her craft and she might be a great writer.

One very hyped writer who disappointed me was DBC Pierre and "Vernon God Little". "Catcher In The Rye", MTV Stylee, now with extra "****"s. Not awful, but... Pulitzer prize?!?

It was clear to me as I read LK Hamilton that the sex was "the point" of the book, and the other stuff was just filler and set-up for the next sex scene.

Privatjokr said:
I used to be like you. It's all downhill from here. You may not know it yet, but she has you wrapped around her little literary finger. Read on, anonymous internet friend; enjoy the series.

What do you mean by downhill? :p

But anyway, I am obsessed. I am currently reading The Order of The Phoenix.

Violanthe said:
It was clear to me as I read LK Hamilton that the sex was "the point" of the book, and the other stuff was just filler and set-up for the next sex scene.

The first books in the series aren't like that. They're very heavy on the action. There isn't even any sex at all in them until.... oh I think it was about 3/4 of the way through book 6. You might try some of the earlier books... they're very addictive. Her last two, Cerulean Sins and Incubus Dreams, were pretty much all sex though. *sigh*

I am currently reading the debut novel by PD Martin. Martin is a female author from Australia. Her first novel is a serial killer thriller. So far I'm very happy with the talent shown, and look forward to seeing anymore released...

Back