• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Film Scores

Heteronym

Scores, the music from movies, constitutes something like 80% of what I listen to every day. I can't stand lyrics myself, I figure they're second-rate poems, and in the end what I really want is pure sound. So film scores are the closest to my ideal of music. I love peaceful, meditative sounds, so I listen to the harmonious melodies composers create for some movies.

Ennio Morricone, Michael Nyman, Vangelis and John Barry, for instance, have produced beautiful scores like Il Desert dei Tartari, The Piano, Chariots of Fire, Gattaca, Out of Africa.

There are other great ones like Hans Zimmer, Maurice Jarre, Jerry Goldsmith, Georges Delerue, Angelo Badalamenti, Thomas Newman. Most people who watch movies probably don't even notice their music, but for me, when I'm in the dark cinema, there's nothing better than seeing a great film sequence playing to a beautiful sound.

Frankly I don't know many people who share or even appreciate this passion, but for me it's a huge pleasure.

I've got a few soundtrack albums, but honestly I don't listen to them a lot. What I really like are the Forrest Gump and Kill Bill soundtracks.

Asian movies usually have beautiful music, like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Of course it features Yo-Yo Ma, so what's not to like!
A huge favorite of mine is Joe Hisaishi, especially Kikujiro. He's done some other scores for Takeshi Kitano, as well as some for Miyazaki, like Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

Elliot Goldenthal's scores for Alien 3 and Interview with the Vampire are fantastic. I like the dark, gothic sounds he brought to both films. His work on the Batman movies wasn't too bad, although Elfman's Batman scores were much better works.

I also like the scores for the first two Crow films. Very pretty and eerie. The compilation soundtracks are quite good too, although that's for another thread :).

Back