• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

First book you ever read?

Kookamoor said:
One of the very first books I read by myself was Enid Blyton's Magic Faraway Tree. I clearly remember stumbling over the first few pages trying to get through the book I know so well.

The reasons *why* I liked it?? That's a bit more difficult. I'm sure it had something to do with Moonface. I remember being scared by the idea of getting trapped in one of the worlds, and the dishwashing lady was more than a little creepy.

Me too!! I just loved those books, if I remember rightly there were 3 Faraway Tree books. After those I read The Wishing Chair and Mr Gallianos Circus. :)

lilbiteb said:
Me too!! I just loved those books, if I remember rightly there were 3 Faraway Tree books. After those I read The Wishing Chair and Mr Gallianos Circus. :)
Yes, 3 or 4 Faraway Tree books. I still don't know what possessed her to have a boy called Dick and a girl called Fanny (which, in the UK and Australia doesn't mean bottom, but the female equivalent of the boy's name!). I know that culturally these names probably didn't mean these things when they were written, but what are the odds...?

I also read The Magic Wishing Chair after that. To this day, I still imagine the shed in which that chair was kept as being my dad's shed in his backyard!

I think the first books I read would have been the Peter and Jane books. Anyone in the UK remember these?

CDA said:
I think the first books I read would have been the Peter and Jane books. Anyone in the UK remember these?

Are you meaning readers, as in we sat around in circles and took turns reading aloud in school? We had Jimmy and Sue books and an older series with Jerry and Alice. They had such brilliant lines as, "Look Jimmy. Look Sue! See Spot! See Spot run!"
Gazooks! With pap like that, its a wonder any of us learned to read, let alone grew to love it!

abecedarian said:
Are you meaning readers, as in we sat around in circles and took turns reading aloud in school? We had Jimmy and Sue books and an older series with Jerry and Alice. They had such brilliant lines as, "Look Jimmy. Look Sue! See Spot! See Spot run!"
Gazooks! With pap like that, its a wonder any of us learned to read, let alone grew to love it!

Sounds like the same thing with different names!

I expect it would have been some sort of Janet and John book when I was about three... (Same kind of thing as above.)

abecedarian said:
The artwork looks so similar to the Jimmy and Sue books we used in first grade.

So not only do you nick our chocolate bars and re-name them, you do the same with our books! ;):)

CDA said:
So not only do you nick our chocolate bars and re-name them, you do the same with our books! ;):)

But these books were so worthy of imitation;) We'll have to keep working on the chocolate:eek:

The first book that completely enthralled me, was the original Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I was 9 or 10. I could not put the book down for a whole weekend. It was then I thought, "There might be something in this reading thing after all".

Wow, i don't know how you can remember what your first book was, mine had to be one of those books your forced to read and do a book report on in the 6th grade. I couldn't tell you what that would've been.

Certainly, we are forced to read a lot of books in school. But that's why I asked which is the first you read and enjoyed.

The first book I read ever was Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Suess. But the first /novel/ that I read and enjoyed would have to be Five go to Treasure Island by Enid Blyton. I completely immersed myself in reading after that :)

the first i guess "serious" novel (that is not goosebumps or scholastic faire book) would be The Children of Sanchez by Oscar Lewis when i was in 5th grade. The book was filled with sex and all this other stuff that a typical 10 year old might not read but i liked it.:cool:

I'm not sure but probably one of Astrid Lindgren's books. I loved those. But my mother used to read to me all the time before i learned to read myself, so i might mix up those she read to me and those i read myself.

I have no idea what the first book I ever read was. I'm guessing it was Midnight Moon by Clyde Watson. As an adult I own two copies and know it almost by heart.

My first chapter book was one of the Ramona Quimby series by Beverly Cleary. I don't know which one it was as my parents bought a few on a suggestion from a bookstore clerk. They didn't get them in order (as they aren't as retentive about that stuff as I am).

My first adult novel was Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey. I think I was about eleven and I ate the whole series up. Then I read it again. These days it doesn't hold much excitement for me, but it served its purpose back then.

Back