• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

First book you ever read?

Violanthe

What is the first novel you ever read that you truly enjoyed? How old were you when you read it? Why did you enjoy it so much?

Violanthe said:
What is the first novel you ever read that you truly enjoyed? How old were you when you read it? Why did you enjoy it so much?

Blimey! I'll have to think about that one! What a question!!

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.
When I was about eight or nine. I enjoyed it for all the reasons a young child would. Checking in cupboards etc.

Caddie Woodlawn when I was 8 or 9. It took me over a month (in summer) to do. It was such a fun book and I was so proud of myself for actually reading something THAT long. I was rather upset when it was finally over.

I still remember parts of the book I thought were funny.

I have no clue.... how am I supposed to remember that?

*wracks brain*

Impossible.

I remember my mum reading The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe for me when I was 6 or 7. But my own reading.... I really have no idea at all.

One of the very first books I read by myself was Enid Blyton's Magic Faraway Tree. I clearly remember stumbling over the first few pages trying to get through the book I know so well.

The reasons *why* I liked it?? That's a bit more difficult. I'm sure it had something to do with Moonface. I remember being scared by the idea of getting trapped in one of the worlds, and the dishwashing lady was more than a little creepy.

The Boxcar Children series were the first real chapter books I read. In fact, The Case of the Purple Pool was the first chapter book I read cover to cover in one sitting. I was so proud... :eek:

Wow, i don't know how you can remember what your first book was, mine had to be one of those books your forced to read and do a book report on in the 6th grade. I couldn't tell you what that would've been.

Spineshank said:
Wow, i don't know how you can remember what your first book was, mine had to be one of those books your forced to read and do a book report on in the 6th grade. I couldn't tell you what that would've been.
Waa? You didn't pick up a book until you were 11 years old? Surely the school system would have required you to read something before then? :confused:

Probably some book with some talking animals.

If that does not count, it is most probably E.B. White's Charlotte's Web as well.

Novel? That's a hard one.

I think the first "book" I read on my own was a short one called Freckle Juice but I wouldn't consider it a novel so much as a short story.(looks like it's 48 pages). It's the first real memory I have of reading on my own. :) Not sure how old I was.

Why I enjoyed it? It was easy enough for me to understand, despite my young age, and I remember it making me laugh.

i can't remember the first one but the earliest i can remember is treasure island by robert louis stevenson (a gift from my mother) when i was 10, unless i read heidi and hans brinker first. either of these three i guess. i liked the story of hans because his world was so different from mine... winter, canals, ice, ice skating. we don't have that because i live in a tropical country, so it was all very interesting.

Zenn said:
Probably some book with some talking animals.

If that does not count, it is most probably E.B. White's Charlotte's Web as well.

Now that I think of it, Charlotte's Web does contain talking animals anyhow!:eek:

The earliest book I remember reading by myself was Dick Wittington and his cat, but I don't think that qualifies as a novel. :) I was 7.

That's a really difficult question to answer. I've been reading since I was three, so its kind of hard to remember specifics from way back then. I remember reading my oldest sister's books at around the age of four, and she's 8 years older than me. So the first novel I read was probably a Bobsey Twins Mystery.

Some of the earliest books I remember reading by myself are:
Dan Frontier(part of a series, I think)

The Little House books..I reread them numerous times between ages
eight and 12 (my favorites were Banks of Plum Creek and The Long Winter)

The Mists of Dawn..can't remember the author, but it was the first sci-fi I ever read, and I still love time travel stories.

Indian Captive-Lois Lenski..I loved this one and reread it at least 6 times
and I read most of the other Lenski novels too.

I read every Childhood of Famous Americans title I could find

The Book of Indians-Holling C. Holling..best 25 cents I ever spent!

Sonia Bleeker's series on native americans-I read them all

Back