• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

First book you ever read?

I can't remember the first book but I do remember the first book I ever loved, Jane Emily, a lovely little ghost story. I read it in elementary school and subsequently stole the book because I loved it so much. I kept it for years, in fact I still believe it's at my mother's house somewhere all tattered and torn. I wonder if it's still being published.:rolleyes:

AquaBlue said:
My very first book! :D

aimages_jp.amazon.com_images_P_0064431789.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Awww Aqua that is my most favourite children's book. I still have a very battered copy of it, which all my children know by heart, because I've read it to them so many times.

denny said:
As far as compulsory books go, I started off with the Janet & John series (I think they're Peter and Jane now!).

I was very young when I read my first book (from choice). I've no idea what it was called, but I do remember it was about a pig! That was really very much the start of a life-long passion for me.

One of my favorites was 'Heidi - Johanna Spyri', which left me for a longing to go to Switzerland for years.

Apart from that, there were a couple of series of books that I remember reading.

One was a group of 5 kids (not The Famous Five!); I remember the youngest one was called Pip, and they were amateur sleuths who chased 'clues' and always caught the baddie before the local police.

The other was about a group of kids who were interested in bird-watching, specifically rare sea birds, but they got into all sorts of adventures while they were out scrambling around caves etc.

Many were the nights when I fell asleep with a book and a torch hidden under the bedcovers! (I had to do that, because my older brother used to still be out playing when I went to bed, and if he saw my bedroom light on, he used to 'tell'!).

Denny,we may be twins. :D I had Janet and John at school, they were SO boring. Feel in love with Heidi and wanted to emigrate to Switzerland. Did read The Famous Five, liked them much better than The Secret Seven. Not sure what your other two books are there. And I too read late into the night with a torch. I think I might try some of your favourite books and see if our tastes have diverged over the years. :cool:

Poppy, how funny. I just had a quick look at your favorite books on your profile. I too loved Gone witht the Wind (although I didn't think Scarlet was nearly as good), and read the James Herriot books absolutely years ago!

The first book I read that wasn't school related was The Stand by Stephen King. It's what kicked me off.

The first book I can remember reading was The Black Stallion by Walter Farley.

Hello, fellow booklovers. :)

The first book I remember reading was "A Cow's Diary" by Beppe Wolgers. It's a children's book about a cow who, after eating a bunch of weird mushrooms, becomes a rockstar and then travels into outer space.

Aaaaaah, the 70s.

As for the first "proper" novel... I'm guessing it must have been one of the "Biggles" books by WE Johns. I was hooked on those for years.

I have the memory of a pidgeon, and my childhood is kind of a blur for me (although a happy one :)), so I'm sure there were many great books, but the one I still remember is Traveller in Time by Alison Uttley. It was about a girl, Penelope, who went to live with her uncle and aunt in their 14th century farmhouse and while there, she traveled in time and got caught up in the schemes to rescue Mary, queen of Scots. I loved, and still love, that book!

denny said:
Poppy, how funny. I just had a quick look at your favorite books on your profile. I too loved Gone witht the Wind (although I didn't think Scarlet was nearly as good), and read the James Herriot books absolutely years ago!

Agree with you on the Scarlett denny, another author writing follow-up books never seems to work does it?

beer good said:
The first book I remember reading was "A Cow's Diary" by Beppe Wolgers. It's a children's book about a cow who, after eating a bunch of weird mushrooms, becomes a rockstar and then travels into outer space.

Aaaaaah, the 70s.

Lol beer good. How relevant to the 70's. You know what they say - If you remember the 70's, you weren't there man. :D

pink shadow said:
I have the memory of a pidgeon, and my childhood is kind of a blur for me (although a happy one ), so I'm sure there were many great books, but the one I still remember is Traveller in Time by Alison Uttley. It was about a girl, Penelope, who went to live with her uncle and aunt in their 14th century farmhouse and while there, she traveled in time and got caught up in the schemes to rescue Mary, queen of Scots. I loved, and still love, that book!

Thank you so much for mentioning this book pink shadow. I read it too and absolutely loved it, but had completely forgotten it's name and author. I'd love to read it again and see if it had the same impact on me now. Must have only been about 12 or 13 when I read it.

I think the first novel I read was the Ramona Quimby books; think it was Ramona the Pest and I was in grade 2 at the time.

The first memory I have of reading a book is waiting outside the main office on the first day of first grade, because I went to the wrong classroom and they had to find out which class I was in...the book was James and the Giant Peach. And I remember not understanding every 5th word or so, but some wise person had told me to just skip those words and they'd define themselves eventually...which of course is true.

Donna

Back