• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

First Post--Hello

readandteach

Hi. I'd love to join a book club but really am too afraid to. What if I don't like going?... Anyway, I like to share thoughts after reading and it is hard to FORCE the people around me to read the books I want them to read. :D And so, this looks like a great place to be. Plus, I'm going through a separation and really need some interaction with people--not real ones though--:D Kidding. kind of.

I just finished a quick read: THE PACT by Jodi Picoult. It was very good.

Before that I read THE KITE RUNNER by Khaled Hosseini. Excellent.

And before that a bunch of junk that I didn't like and isn't worth mentioning.

Oh, how particular are you guys about grammar and spelling? I'll try but...
And yes, I'm a teacher but I teach LITTLE kids so go easy on me. I'm not perfect.

Thanks for having me. I'm looking forward to reading and interacting (and learning to use those spoiler thingys so you don't get mad at me.)

r.a.t.

readandteach said:
Before that I read THE KITE RUNNER by Khaled Hosseini. Excellent.

And before that a bunch of junk that I didn't like and isn't worth mentioning.

Are you sure The Kite Runner wasn't part of that junk? :confused:

Anyway, drop by the Kite Runner thread, please, to expand beyond "excellent". :)

Book Clubs

CDA said:
Stop going! :)

Hello and welcome. :)

Yeah, easy for you to say. You wouldn't have to answer the phone when they call. :) (And what if they are all wackos? Or sex offenders? SEE??? I have read TOO many books that start this way...)

:D r.a.t. (also a little chicken)

readandteach said:
I'd love to join a book club but really am too afraid to. What if I don't like going?
You could try looking for book clubs that meet informally in public places—bookstores or libraries or bars.
Welcome!

Welcome to TBF from a fellow teacher!. What grades do you teach? 7th, 9th, and 12th here-social studies, geography, and American government.

readandteach said:
Yeah, easy for you to say. You wouldn't have to answer the phone when they call. :) (And what if they are all wackos? Or sex offenders? SEE??? I have read TOO many books that start this way...)

Well of course they're all going to be weirdos - they're into books after all..;):)

Welcome to the forum! :)

Oh, how particular are you guys about grammar and spelling? I'll try but...
And yes, I'm a teacher but I teach LITTLE kids so go easy on me. I'm not perfect.

Aha, now we know you're a teacher we're going to expect perfection. Plus, every one of your posts will be graded. ;)

Hi, Welcome! What subjects do you teach? Or are we talking pre-school here? If so, we'll excuse your grammar and I'll nominate you for sainthood (having spent my morning with a bunch of toddlers... .:shudder:.).

Hey rat and welcome to TBF!! I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself on here - maybe you'll get enough confidence about talking about books to go to a local bookclub meeting? I think they sound like fun, but I wouldn't want one in my home... too much opportunity for weirdos. You could always start one yourself, though. Or start a bookring, where you pass a book to a friend of yours and then they pass the book to their friend, and you meet over coffee to discuss it.

SFG75 said:
Welcome to TBF from a fellow teacher!. What grades do you teach? 7th, 9th, and 12th here-social studies, geography, and American government.
I teach first grade, before they get bigger than me. You are brave (or crazy) and I do know because I have a 15 year old creature in my house...

readandteach said:
I teach first grade, before they get bigger than me.

Yeah, I have a few who could bait bears with a switch, but they are farm kids and still fear their 5'4 mommas.;)

You are brave (or crazy) and I do know because I have a 15 year old creature in my house...

I love the junior high kids, wouldn't trade them in for the world. The seniors?, well....that's a whole 'nuther story.:cool:

1st grade?...wow!. I was a para in a kindergarten room. You probaly still get hugs and asked for help. I get swore at and flipped off.:rolleyes:

SFG75 said:
You probaly still get hugs and asked for help. I get swore at and flipped off.:rolleyes:
Lots of hugs! Thursday at 2pm I may have opted for being flipped off. I had one to get sick all over the room and himself and another to urinate all over herself all within ten minutes. It was chaos! Oh and we JUST got back from the bathrooms.

THANKS for all the welcoming words! I think this is going to be fun!

Welcome to TBF.
readandteach said:
what if they are all wackos? Or sex offenders?
Some good news.. once you get used to the wackos and sex offenders on this forum then dealing with them in person will be easy.
SEE??? I have read TOO many books that start this way...)
Better to be prepared..

readandteach said:

Nothing to worry about. 50% of the members are overseas, the other half has no clue where you live unless you tell them. Personally, I don't fear that stuff at all as I live in a small town and if someone new came to town, I would find out about them first before they could find me.:D

Occlith said:
Welcome to TBF. Some good news.. once you get used to the wackos and sex offenders on this forum then dealing with them in person will be easy.

You do have to get to the wise acres on this place.:rolleyes: :D

Back