• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fish

Miss Shelf

In the interest of starting a new discussion, here's something that might not have been discussed in a while, if at all.

Do you like fish (as a food)? Do you eat it on a regular basis?

I could live without it. I'm sure on the coasts where it's fresher, it tastes better. I've yet to find a type of frozen fish that tastes good.

Miss Shelf said:
In the interest of starting a new discussion, here's something that might not have been discussed in a while, if at all.

Do you like fish (as a food)? Do you eat it on a regular basis?

I could live without it. I'm sure on the coasts where it's fresher, it tastes better. I've yet to find a type of frozen fish that tastes good.

Seafood in general, or just fish?

I remember catfish in South Carolina as a kid being awesome.
Real, honest to goodness tuna is wonderful.
Flounder stuffed with crab meat, or broiled in butter and lemon.....yummy....
Trout, Sea Bass.....ummmm....yep....all good....

Lobster, crabs, shrimp......delicious....

Baked or poached fresh salmon, not over done, is exquisite. I prefer it to steak and have it whenever I can. In State of Washington especially. :)
Peder

seafood in general, I guess. I like shrimp, don't often have the opportunity to eat other seafood, but I'd like to. I like salmon. But I don't like the bones, I have a fear of choking.

I read an article about mercury levels in fish, does that concern anyone, possibly keeping them from eating fish?

I love fish and seafood. I've heard about the mercury, but I think it's only a problem if you eat big quantities of fish. It won't affect you for eating fish two or three times a week and you can always have freshwater fish, which is not affected by the mercury pollution.

Peder said:
Baked or poached fresh salmon, not over done, is exquisite. I prefer it to steak and have it whenever I can. In State of Washington especially. :)
Peder

Since I moved up here I can't get enough of the salmon :) I love fresh fish and seafood, eat it whenever I can. Being from Mobile, AL we grew up eating lots of fresh seafood.

Miss Shelf said:
is canned clam chowder any good? are there really clams in it? I've wanted to try it.

I love love love New England Clam Chowder...that's the white kind...the thickerer the better...there is a pretty good canned kind, but I'll have to check the next time I'm at the store which kind it is I like. I can't remember if it's Cambell's Chunky......but that seems right at the moment.

Motokid said:
I love love love New England Clam Chowder...that's the white kind...the thickerer the better...there is a pretty good canned kind, but I'll have to check the next time I'm at the store which kind it is I like. I can't remember if it's Cambell's Chunky......but that seems right at the moment.

Cambell's chunky is the kind I get, it's good I add a bit of seasoning and a tad more butter.

mmm. I'm gonna wait tll it's nippy out, it seems like a good thing to eat on a cold day. I'm visualizing it with oyster crackers.

I know what you mean about frozen fish...I wonder if I've ever had fresh fish. Not very often anyway. I think the fish at the market is mostly frozen and shipped. Even so, I still like seafood.

geneviv said:
I know what you mean about frozen fish...I wonder if I've ever had fresh fish. Not very often anyway. I think the fish at the market is mostly frozen and shipped. Even so, I still like seafood.

Having lived in Charleston, SC for ten years, and near the Chesapeak Bay for just as long, I must say that I love me some sea food!

The thing in Charleston was Shrimp and grits! Pretty damn good, with some kind of brown gravy! mmmmm-um!

The shrimp boats would pull into Shem Creek in the evenings, and you could buy it by the pound right off of the boat, or get your own license and catch your own! In the evenings during Shrimp Season, you would see the john boats lining the Cooper and Ashley rivers near the harbor, casting nets and setting bait balls. Next morning, you can buy them cheap, right out of the friggin water!

NOTHING like fresh shrimp!

Unless it's Atlantic Coast oysters! Raw or steamed, they are awesome!

Fish? fish is good. Fresh tuna (nothing like what you get from a can. More like steak than fish) is friggin' awesome, as is Mahi-Mahi, Wahoo, and fresh shark. I don't think I have had a fresh fish that I didn't like.

Catfish? OMG! Garlic-beer battered, deep fried, with grits and eggs for breakfast! Throw a biscuit on the plate! Good, God, make ya bite yo grandmama!

damn, I'm hungry.

Mrs. Paul's makes frozen cod and haddock fillets that are pretty good (compared to other brands I've choked down). But they're kind of expensive, and they're two to a box and they rattle around in a box that's too large for them.

I've had fresh fish in Florida and lobster in Boston. Yummy. I can't stand eating food that still looks like its original "packaging" though, if you put a whole cooked lobster in front of me I'd lose my appetite really quick. Maybe because I had to dissect crawfish in high school biology.

i love fish- but not shellfish. nothing better than a fresh filet of salmon on the BBQ. i like fish sticks also- breaded and baked. YUM. and fish n chips- the battered stuff with tartar sauce. OMG- YUM

We eat fish 4 or 5 times a week. I like almost every kind.

For sushi, my favorites are yellowtail, tuna, eel, toro (fatty tuna). I love soft shell crabs, too. They're great Japanese-style.

For cooking at home, my favorites are red snapper, mackeral, cod/scrod, tile fish, orange roughy. I'm not such a big fan of farmed fish, it doesn't have great flavor. That includes farmed salmon and tilapia and some catfish. And the one fish I really don't go for is monkfish, which looks like brains.

But I make every kind of fish besides that, mostly sauteed, meuniere, grilled, bouliabasse or bourride, poached, or fish curry, shrimp cocktail, stuffed clams, clam spaghetti. And I LOVE smoked fish of any kind. We got into a mostly fish diet when I had the most perfect, fresh Korean fish store one block away in NYC. Hard to get out of the habit, but I can't get the same variety here in the boonies. Best meal when grumpy: sole florentine. Sometimes for company I weave strips of salmon and a white flat fish like flounder together so it makes a checkerboard filet, which I serve gently poached with a leek and white wine sauce under it.

Working at a fish 'n chip shop, I eat quite a lot of fish. Mostly Hoki and Sole. My favourite would have to be the blue cod that I catch when I go up to the Malborough Sounds. Nothing beats fresh fish, especially when it's cooked by my Grandma :D

I also like fresh, marinated mussles and fresh paua. MmmMMmm

Back