• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

For the Bored, & loopy...

Anything exciting? Not too much. I have finals next week and I'm going to a play today. Oh, and I lost power for 3 days after an ice storm that destroyed the willow tree in my backyard and the bradford pear in the front. But I'm not complaining too much; some people still don't have power and it's been two weeks yesterday.

Murder Can Be Habit Forming. It's very funny, a comedy about a convent of nuns that, during a horrible ice storm (irony there) gets invaded by a group of people travelling on a bus towards Canada. Some include a heavy metal singer who gets called a devil by an elderly nun, an actress, a policeman in the homicide division, a reporter, a professor and his student.

Anyway, there has been the notorious Mary Murderer, who has killed 10 women with the first name Mary in 7 months. Oddly, everybody on the bus except the policeman, driver, heavy metal rocker, and professor is either named or is in a sense Mary. All the nuns have taken up the name Mary in deference to sacred mother's name.

The Story

An ex-nun, Mary Appalonia, is scared during a black-out by a person in a black ski mask, looking through the reporter's briefcase. Afterwards, the student, Mary Evans is abducted through a secret passage behind the bookcase while the reporter is in the room. He tries to investigate, as he did not see, and then is apprehended himself. The actress, who plays Mary in Mary, Mary Quite Contrary, A TV show, sees and screams. Inside the passageway, the reporter is found dead. He had been Mary in the Just Ask Mary column of the New York Times. Mary Evans is found passed out.

The Mary Murderer is one of the people on the bus. But suddenly, the handyman for the nuns finds a man in a black ski mask outside. It's Mary Evans' boyfriend, who she'd had a fight with. He had come to apologize. He is grilled by the policeman in the kitchen but found as nothing. Later that night, Miss Evans calls the policeman into the front room. She recalls a letter dated 7 months back from a Mary that complained of an outrageous husband who she feared who was a cop. The policeman snaps, as he is the murderer, and tries to strangle Miss Evans. He's stopped by a suit of armor, in which, an undercover officer acting as another Mary, Mary Adams in fact, had hidden. She knocks him out with a broad sword and explains the rest.

In the end, Miss Evans is asked by her boyfriend to be married.

Most of the comedy in this revolves around simple puns and misuse of words through most of the Marys, especially the elderly nun, who exclaims that "I can quit! I didn't know we could quit!" and believes that decaf coffee is made of baby cows.

oi you troublemaker. Actually, we did talk - via PM so there:p

The ice storm sounds bad, hope things get sorted out for you soon.

Thanks for proving me wrong. That was nice. :p

The storm has passed, and most of the damage is cleared, except the occasional pile of branches (there's still one in front of my house the size of a landfill!)

Thanks for proving me wrong. That was nice. :p
No need for thanks, that's what I'm here for.

The storm has passed, and most of the damage is cleared, except the occasional pile of branches (there's still one in front of my house the size of a landfill!)

Glad the storm is over. Size of a landfill? Damn, sounds like the storm caused a lot of damage. Glad you're safe though.

Back