• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

For the Bored, & loopy...

I remember The Firebrand and Witch Hill(?) by Marion Zimmer Bradley from my younger days. She was very readable, The Firebrand in particular made quite an impression on me - The Trojan war told from the point of view of Cassandra.

The only fantasy I've read lately was The Earthsea Quartet, which I enjoyed (it was a recommendation by Direstraits, I'll have to give his favourite author Guy something a go ). I have read quite a bit of fantasy when I was younger.

Aww, Lauren is pretty too though.

you know, now i am getting sleepy!

let me know about fantasy and any books you think i should read in that genre!

good luck on the shopping and the "love!"

Thank you, get some rest, I'll speak to you soon.
He is into old books and antiques so I'll get something along those lines. I'll let you know when I know:rolleyes: .

Goodnight!

I've got to jump into this thread, as late as it is. I second Gem's comments about your bubbliness, Lady Cordelia... you're so upbeat, it's hard to imagine you're feeling anything other than cheer!

I'm sorry to hear of your condition, and I'm not sure if my wife's gonna want to take the epidural when the time comes. Actually, we've heard lots of things from using epidurals before, and she as yet she hasn't decided if she will want it unless it's incredibly difficult for her. Anxious, anxious.

ds

gem said:
I remember The Firebrand and Witch Hill(?) by Marion Zimmer Bradley from my younger days. She was very readable, The Firebrand in particular made quite an impression on me - The Trojan war told from the point of view of Cassandra.

The only fantasy I've read lately was The Earthsea Quartet, which I enjoyed (it was a recommendation by Direstraits, I'll have to give his favourite author Guy something a go ). I have read quite a bit of fantasy when I was younger.

Aww, Lauren is pretty too though.

I agree Lauren is beautiful - it is actually Lauren Grace.

As for Firebrand, that is in my Avalon pile - it is part of the series and I believe the first. I think Catch Trap may be, too, I need to figure out what the characters are. Basically, each story has the same characters reincarnated throughout history and each are historical fiction of some sort, although Fall of Atlantis is more mythological I suppose, but they use that to tie into the move to Britain. There there is Ancestors of Avalon, Priestess of Avalon (time of Constantine told from the point of view of Helen - aka St. Helen), Mists of Avalon (Authorian tale from a woman's point of view), and then Lady of Avalon. I think that is it.

You keep saying you read fantasy when you were younger - you are already young! Am I just reading kid tales? :) lol

I just picked up a book from Guy just for D.S. I haven't started it yet. I have to finish this series first.

I would definitely recommend to only do it if it is medically necessary. A girl on a pain management site just posted the other day with a similar story to mine - undiagnosed pain syndrome seven years after birth of daughter and botched epidural.

Well, I do have a to kind of say that if you do want to do an epidural (your wife i mean), just be sure you research doctors and find out who is great and get recommendations, so you know when the time comes you can request him/her. Also, so that you can maybe get the names of anesthesiologists who aren't so great. This happened with the birth of AJ and although I have this condition, I am glad it was done, as it would have been medically necessary in the end anyways, if I hadn't been able to push so quickly, because I had complete abruption of the placenta and AJ could have died. We didn't know it was abrupted. They suspected right before he was delivered, because I was gushing blood. We both could have died. I only pushed for five minutes, but she was already preparing to convert to Cesarean because of the loss of blood and her suspicions, but I was able to get him out fast (lots of practice with delivering all three girls, even twins, the old fashioned way). So, I would rather have a healthy AJ and a bad back than possibly no AJ. The doctor said in 17 years of practice, she had never delivered a completely abrupted baby that didn't at least have to be revived. AJ came out a bit pale, but screaming and very, very alert!

And thanks very much for the compliments. I try to stay out of the pit of despair (as Anne of Green Gables would say ;) lol)

Good luck to you and your wife. I will pray just for a healthy delivery for mom and baby.

And anyone is welcome on this thread. As she said, it is for the bored and loopy and I think many fit that description here! ;)

I have a friend named Fanny.

One of the main characters in a comic book series The Invisibles is called Lord Fanny (a brazillian transexual witch).

And fanny is *not* a lady's butt. :)

LC... which GGK are you reading? GGK is one of the prime fantasy writers as far as I'm concerned, he will definitely satisfy you if you're into quality fantasy. I think it's a crime he's not mentioned in the same breath as JRR Tolkien, George RR Martin and Ursula Le Guin. A CRIME!

ds

I'd always heard of the Avalon series, hadn't known that the Firebrand was a part of it. I'll have to look up the others now,it sounds very readable. No I don't think Fantasy is just for kids, I love a well written, imaginative fantasy book even now.

DS - This Guy something or the other :D - you've mentioned him before as well, which of his books should I read first, is there a stand alone one or are they all trilogies or quartets and so on.

oh, i was teasing about it being for kids! i know you didn't mean it that way. i was more teasing you about saying you read it when you were young, because you are so young! ;)

i am going to read firebrand after i finish priestess of avalon. they keep mentioning catch trap with the other books, so i assume it goes, too, but haven't looked into it yet.

i know you asked DS, but i just picked up one of guy's books and i am not really sure that it is a part of any series. i hope not anyways, otherwise i will feel compelled (compulsively) to complete the set!

goes to show i have never read martin or ever heard of le guin. i am just a baby at fantasy. i picked up a book, but haven't started it. i'll look up the name later. i have to finish my current series. it is an obsessive/compulsive thing of mine! ;)

so, what is a fanny?

oh, and don't forget about Fannie Flagg - famous writer of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe!

nevermind about the question! gem told me. i had a suspicion of what it was and was right! i remember sitting in church when i was young reading the writers of many of the hymns and seeing Fanny Crosby and thinking it so funny someone was named that! lol

like the word gay i presume. who knows how things get misused and it sticks more than the original term.

My mom's maiden name was Gay, and she really would get irate over the the term "gay"..and then there's my cousins who still carry the name..my cousin Rick would meet people and say, "My name's Rick, and when I get to know you better I'll tell you my last name!" As you might imagine, doing a google search for genealogy information on that family name can be an eye opener!

oh, do you fly?

i am still a fly baby, but lately haven't been able to clean so was lucky enough to get a maid that flies really fast! ;) i am training the kids to fly!

Hiya, Gem, ladyC and Abeced... Haven't seen you for a while. My fault. :(

Anyways, flying sounds fun. Can I get lessons too?

Well well well...look who it is, and where have you been? No excuses about school and real life.
How have you been Vesper? Done anything exciting?

Back