• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Force yourself

piedro said:
i started with Tom Clancy when i was a kid and found the technical stuff too much to grasp.i read "The Hunt for Red october" first and had to really force myself to finish it. at the end of it i must say i admired the author
"The Fourth Protocol" by Fredrick Forsythe was one more book like that and it has ended up as one of my favourites

I agree about the over-abundance of technical info. Still, I quite enjoy Clancy's books. Vince Flynn is another such author, but he puts a bit less emphasis on technical info and a bit more on character development. Definitely a faster pace than Clancy, but Clancy still remains my favorite.

SillyWabbit said:
Are you telling me your name is Iain Banks?????!!!!!!!
No, it's just Iain with the two i's that's the same.

But I could be Iain Banks if I wanted to, I just don't want to. I like my surname very much, and there is no way I am changing my middle name from 'danger' just to appease him. :p

On Dead Air.

I'm almost ashamed to say it, after this thread, but I'm immensely enjoying it. I just can't seem to figure out where it's all going, yet.

On The Wasp Factory.

If you're looking for the literary equivalent of a slap in the face, read it, read it, read it! And if you're not ... still read it!

Cheers, Martin :D

On fiction, i hardly ever have to force myself to read a book, generally because i spend time building up the anticipation with books i want to read, so that when i get to them theres no hesitation diving right in.

The books i have to force myself to read are the non-fiction ones, they dont have the same kind of narrative flow as novels, and even if i know i'll really enjoy them, i have to force myself to get started reading them, or else i put them off for another easy novel!!

Phil

Martin said:
On Dead Air.

I'm almost ashamed to say it, after this thread, but I'm immensely enjoying it. I just can't seem to figure out where it's all going, yet.

On The Wasp Factory.

If you're looking for the literary equivalent of a slap in the face, read it, read it, read it! And if you're not ... still read it!

YES! Nothing I like better than a good slap in the face!!!! I am looking forward to reading it :)

Martin, have you read "The Bridge" By Iain Banks? If not then I can recommend it to you! And you will be REALLY confused! :) Great writing by Banks as always. One of the things that I like about him is that he is always experimenting.

Regards
Sillywabbit

phil_t said:
On fiction, i hardly ever have to force myself to read a book, generally because i spend time building up the anticipation with books i want to read, so that when i get to them theres no hesitation diving right in.

The books i have to force myself to read are the non-fiction ones, they dont have the same kind of narrative flow as novels, and even if i know i'll really enjoy them, i have to force myself to get started reading them, or else i put them off for another easy novel!!

Phil
yes non fiction reads are quite dragging
i read some book about the bermuda triangle and had to struggle to complete it.and in the end there was still nothing clear what the problem is there!!

Martin, have you read "The Bridge" By Iain Banks? If not then I can recommend it to you! And you will be REALLY confused! Great writing by Banks as always. One of the things that I like about him is that he is always experimenting.
Nope, I haven't, yet. Dead Air and The Wasp Factory are the only Banks-novels I've read sofar. But I am definitely going to be reading more by him, because by now I'm actually loving Dead Air!! Utterly fantastic book.

So, Wabbit recommends The Bridge and Igkuk recommends Complicity, right? Cool!

Martin said:
So, Wabbit recommends The Bridge and Igkuk recommends Complicity, right? Cool!

I quite enjoyed Whit as well. Though I must say I thought a Stone of Stone was a pile of pants.

If I didn't enjoy book, I force myself to read it to finish off. It was really frustrating! :(

I was on a sci-fi kick for a while and bought a bunch of Asimov books. I managed to read about a third of them before I lost interest and now they sit there, neglected. I just try not to feel guilty about not reading them. I'm not going to force myself to read them now. Maybe someday I'll feel like picking them up again. But it was a good lesson learned. In the future, I'll just buy one or two books at a time.

Lately, I've been visiting the library. If I check out a book and never read it, which I've done, then I don't feel as guilty about it.

The Silmarillion. Every time I read the Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings, I pick up the Silmarillion again. Then put it right back down, take two excedrin and go to bed. :p

I have to agree about the Counte of Monte Cristo. I truly treasure that book.

Litany said:
I quite enjoyed Whit as well. Though I must say I thought a Stone of Stone was a pile of pants.

You mean Song of Stone, right? :)

I agree with you. I think it's his worst book. It was just dull. Although it has really wonderful prose in it :) But, yeah, I can't recommend that one.

Regards
SillyWabbit

Wolf said:
The Silmarillion. Every time I read the Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings, I pick up the Silmarillion again. Then put it right back down, take two excedrin and go to bed. :p

I have to agree about the Counte of Monte Cristo. I truly treasure that book.

I know what you mean, Wolf.

I picked The Silmarillion up (again) last night, and had to put it back down again. :mad:

The only thing I have managed to read through is "of the rings of power and the third age". It is very frustrating, especially when you read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings at least once a year. :mad: :confused: :mad:

Why is that? :confused: :confused:

What is excedrin? Is it any good? Maybe I can get that over here in Denmark. ;)

Hobitten

Excedrin is a combination of acetometaphine (tylenol), aspirin, and caffeine. So you could take 1 aspirin, 1 acetometaphine (I admit, I have no idea how to spell this and I am too lazy to look it up) with coffee and get the same effect.

Ashlea said:
Excedrin is a combination of acetometaphine (tylenol), aspirin, and caffeine. So you could take 1 aspirin, 1 acetometaphine (I admit, I have no idea how to spell this and I am too lazy to look it up) with coffee and get the same effect.

Thanks, Ashlea - but I think I'll stick to panadol. ;) Same thing, I think. :)

hobitten said:
Thanks, Ashlea - but I think I'll stick to panadol. ;) Same thing, I think. :)

Actually, I think Excedrin's better. I tried it when I lived in the US and it was wonderful stuff. I'd ask for someone to send me some, only it probably counts as drug smuggling. Dunno if it's just stronger than what we're allowed in the UK, but by jinkies it was good.

Litany said:
Actually, I think Excedrin's better. I tried it when I lived in the US and it was wonderful stuff. I'd ask for someone to send me some, only it probably counts as drug smuggling. Dunno if it's just stronger than what we're allowed in the UK, but by jinkies it was good.

Good for what?

Hobitten

I looked, and Panadol is the same as our Tylenol. So if you combined that with aspirin and caffeine, you'll be there.

Back