• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Forum Etiquette PMs

Another method that springs to mind is the registration on Adventure Game Studio. It asks you to complete a forum usage questionairre (see link) before letting you join up and, if you fail, it makes you do it again. :D

Motokid said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with a "welcome" pm except that I think the majority of new members won't read it, just like the majority don't read the Membership Agreement.

Perhaps, perhaps not. But it does allow mods to point newbies in the direction of the introduction PM if they've made an initial post that's not got much positive responce.

Motokid said:
And, it would require that the Forum has some very active moderators to do the job, or it would require a very sterile, "form letter" type pm which might actually do more harm than good.
That depends on how it was worded.

Motokid said:
It's probably a much better idea to just let the members that are active at the time of a newb's first few posts handle the welcomes, and try to politely point the newb in a forum friendly direction.
Yes, that would be best, but members that are active at that time aren't always proving to be adept at politely pointing things out are they.

Motokid said:
Lead by example. Post as you would like others to post.
Oh, I think there's enough patronizing spam without people copying me...

K-S

Stewart said:
Another method that springs to mind is the registration on Adventure Game Studio. It asks you to complete a forum usage questionairre (see link) before letting you join up and, if you fail, it makes you do it again. :D

That's so elitist:rolleyes: Excuse me while I go humilate myself...:p

Kenny Shovel said:
(o)(o) <- I tried to think of an emoticon for 'toes' but this was as close as I could get.

K-S (in da house)

Kenny,
You are just great!
ROTFAL L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L !
Peder

abecedarian said:
That's so elitist:rolleyes: Excuse me while I go humilate myself...:p
ABC,
And you too are great!
ROTFAL L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L!
Peder

I'm not sure this discussion needs to be as general as it is.
But didn't it all begin because some members took issue with, I don't know what to call it, but lets say the "extremely informal" use of language in maybe only one forum.
And the issue is whether such language use is to be regarded as an acceptable part of posting here. If it is viewed as acceptable by the management, then the membership could be made aware of that as the stated policy of TBF and prevailed upon to "be nice," I would think. For members to be trying to influence things at cross-purposes to the policy of the management seems to be worse than futile, and more like self destructive if members decide to haul out.
Just a thought, by no means a suggestion.
Peder

As a member, I am really turned off by the fact that we are at all discussing this. Why can't you guys just let things be the way that they are instead of carrying on a very stupid discussion, imo. First of all, you are wasting space on the server and secondly, who really cares how the mods run things? It's their board, not yours.

Do you have anything better to discuss? :confused: I thought this board was about books and not about how the mods run this particular board.... *scratches head* If you have a problem, why don't you just pm the admin? You are just turning people off from the nature of the board instead.

Personally, if you just let the mods do their jobs and not get all riled up about a small little issue like a deleted post and not make a post so that others don't get riled up, you won't be blowing out of proportion the orginal issue with others who really could care less about your issue, ie myself. You should just PM an admin and I am sure they would be more than happy to answer your question as to why and not creating a firestorm in the end. Just my opinion.

I think the simple answer is that when people leave in anger, people we know, then something is broken, and that is not a "don't care" situation to some of the rest of us.
Peder

Peder said:
I think the simple answer is that when people leave in anger, people we know, then something is broken, and that is not a "don't care" situation to some of the rest of us.
Peder

That's understanable and I understand where you are coming from. :)

jaynebosco said:
First of all, you are wasting space on the server and secondly, who really cares how the mods run things? It's their board, not yours.

First of all, it's only your opinion that we are wasting space - amazingly this waste is on topic in the Suggestions/Feedback area. Why would we feel the need to discuss books here?

And secondly, it most certainly is not the mods' board.

You should just PM an admin and I am sure they would be more than happy to answer your question as to why and not creating a firestorm in the end.

I think they prefer the smoke and mirrors approach to answering questions.

I'm going to add a few cents here, because as most of you know I get rather upset/annoyed when I see shirty comments being made to new posters. I can understand where the posts come from in some instances, but it's still about courtesy in the end. ions set up a great thread for students to be referred to, and I'd prefer a polite direction to this or the membership agreement, rather than being abrasive.

But I also agree that preventing some of the problems would be a good move. We *do* already have a good link to the FAQ, which is next to the registration link on the home page. But I don't think a short PM would hurt. At the end of the registration process, it could link straight to the PM page and have a message that says 'Please read before posting'. As to what should be in that post, well that's ultimately up to the mods. But some ideas would be:

- Ensuring that all new members are aware that self promotion is not appropriate, and not allowed under the MA, but can be placed in the signature,
- A note about use of language, because people generally seem to prefer that text message speak isn't used. Something like, "Please note that we have many forum members from around the world and from many different backgrounds. While there are no rules regarding the language that is to be used, it is generally preferred that text message speak is not used."
- Another link to the FAQ, and a link to the advice for students thread.

I don't think this suggestion would hurt, so why not give it a trial run?

jaynebosco said:
Why can't you guys just let things be the way that they are instead of carrying on a very stupid discussion, imo. First of all, you are wasting space on the server and secondly, who really cares how the mods run things? It's their board, not yours.
Because obviously some members aren't happy (and evidently these members do care how the mods run the place, as should everyone). Unhappy members will soon find somewhere else to go.

Why are you participating in a "very stupid discussion" in your opinion?

Besides which, this thread wasn't a complaint about how the mods do their job, but a suggestion. As Stewart says, it's in the appropriate forum. And God forbid, the thread even contains legible posts.

Do you have anything better to discuss? :confused: I thought this board was about books and not about how the mods run this particular board.... *scratches head* If you have a problem, why don't you just pm the admin? You are just turning people off from the nature of the board instead.
Well that's funny, because looking at your recent posts, I see only a small fraction of them are about books, the majority being complaints about those who dare to speak up and say something isn't working for them. Yet, other posters on this thread have a recent history of on-topic posts.

Personally, if you just let the mods do their jobs and not get all riled up about a small little issue like a deleted post and not make a post so that others don't get riled up, you won't be blowing out of proportion the orginal issue with others who really could care less about your issue, ie myself.
Posts being deleted is not a "small little issue". It's obviously a huge issue since a lot of members are extremely offended by it. And rightly so. What's the point of spending a lot of time constructing a post or a review, only for it to be deleted in part or in its entirety? This thread isn't even about deleted posts though.

As for not making posts that provoke others, your post is a fine example of that.

Motokid said:
let the members that are active at the time of a newb's first few posts...politely point the newb in a forum friendly direction.
Key Word: friendly. Unfortunately some members, including long standing members who should know better, are seemingly incapable of such a task.

I do like Kookamoor's suggestion.

Perhaps make the MA a link in the sidebar and expand it to include forum etiquette. While some may ignore or not read the MA, that is not justification for not following it.

jaynebosco said:
As a member, I am really turned off by the fact that we are at all discussing this
I somewhat agree, but this issue should be addressed. It is recurring and causes hurt feelings and misunderstandings all around.

Since everyone seems to agree that this forum needs more openness there should also be forum accountability by every member viewable by all members.

A Hall of Shame idea was discussed; has it's time come?

2.8 Book & Reader operates a "three-strikes" policy.

With the 3 strike method, display each strike and the offence that earned it.

Since deleting posts causes such angst, perhaps offending posts can be edited, with a message within the post by the mod stating the reason for the edit or if need be, post this as a reminder –

3.7 Book & Reader reserves the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason without prior notice.

Back