• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Forum group dynamics

barryboek

Maybe a synopsis of my experiences in a Dutch readers forum might be of interest here . First I must state I had no experience with forums (fora?)other then to jump in and ask a question . So no introducing myself , no participating , just pragmatically using the know how of a forum .Had no idea about administrators or moderators , said hello , told them what I wanted to know and thanked for a reply . Worked for many years problemfree !
So when I had trouble ordering books by my favorite internetdealer , I had a luminous idea , find a readers forum and ask if they had similar problems . But being a bit bored I looked around and saw the thread : what books would you buy in the blind (meaning what authors are a must to own) Started right of the bat and suggested they should better split the question according to genre (stated I am uninterested in romance novels and vice versa )Well this started a quickly escalating conflict , ending in my banishment .
What surprised me the most , looking back , was the fact that a virtual group like a forum operates very much like a real group , quite similar groupdynamics . Feeling attacked by an outsider , ganging up to neutralize the problem , bit like a lynchmob .Saw comparable dynamics here (looked at a few very long threads about selfpromoting writers introducing themselves)
the difference here being the level of discussion , some were very sulpherous but still there was an impressive exchange of arguments . This was completely absent in the dutch group, could ask what I wanted , tell what I wanted , they just kept whining my tone was unpleasant , I did not fit in with the cosy nature ....., I should take the sensibilities of romance book lovers into account ....... So once I tipped them of to the pleasure it gives me to rip a detested book to shreds (Dan Brown) it was all over bar the shouting .
Reactions : you can not decide what is quality , it must be high quality because its a commercial succes , realise the toes and shins of Dan Brown lovers are severely damaged ,why dont you give it to a needy reader , this is against the cosy nature of this forum , what he said .....it is the tone that makes the music (in french about ten times), you are very arrogant and insulting , you are looking down on us , I hardly understand what you are talking about ,neither do I.... .
I probably signed my own death sentence when I said this forum is about as pleasant and interested in discussion as a fundamentalist islamic koran group . Not very nice but still no strong language . In the end I said I was sorry I underestimated the virtuosity of the literary giant Dan Brown , and that it was probably better for my english development and the tone of their cosy forum if I looked elsewhere for my info .
Then I had another luminous idea , I could start my own thread and still get the info without all this waste of time , they are rid of me and I can ask a question . Well I still did not grasp the workings of a forum , all the hurting toes and raw shins followed , whining ever harder totally ignoring my question . Must agree I got a bit annoyed then and said I was surprised about the unanimous way they stroked each others overheated purpley little heads and that I had never encountered such a nasty group of conformist humorless nonthinkers . When they started discussing if I might get a second chance ( I was called theTroll by then) I forced the issue . Asked if I allready was nominated to be forcefully removed . Said I would be disappointed , because I thought it would be much harder to be as funny in english as I had been in dutch . Would miss all the laughter . End of story , banned .:confused:

You should learn to put spaces between paragraphs. It makes reading your posts less painful.

yeah and start using pronoun.
It's like reading post from C-3PO or reading a annonce in a magazine.
You don't have to pay for the number of words you use here.

This said i write like a pig myself but it's not a figure of style.

I can't believe I actually managed to read it in its entirety.

And your tone really is unpleasant, all you seem to do here is whine about how you got banned over at whatever forum you were part of before.

Also, use some white lines, please, I don't want to go blind just because I've read some old fart's ramblings.

You should learn to put spaces between paragraphs. It makes reading your posts less painful.

I agree , even my typing skill is dubious . Found reading it myself pretty embarrassing ! Can we not agree to put one enormous space between the first and the last letter of these ramblings , to ease the pain and call it a day .

Always preferred reading to writing .:blush:

Ok, Now that I have uncrossed my eyes from trying to read the post, I can only say that I'm still confused by the content of the original thread.

I'll tell you what I did get from it.....

You were banned because you have a hatred for Dan Brown. You and Stewart will get along famously.

As for sore toes and shins, not to worry, you have the right to state your opinions here and there will be dissent, but that's alright. Not everyone is going to agree here. That's the beauty of this place.

Carry on and drop the woes about being banned in another forum. We really don't care.

Just my personal and honest opinion! thankyouverymuchandhaveaniceday

Feeling attacked by an outsider , ganging up to neutralize the problem , bit like a lynchmob .Saw comparable dynamics here (looked at a few very long threads about selfpromoting writers introducing themselves)

I don't believe that it would be in the same category as to what you experinced with your former group. It is against our rules for people to shamelessly self-promote. Those who do so, engage in that act intentionally as before joining, you have to have read the forum rules. If a person does not care to abide by the rules, they should not expect quarter from the regulars.

the difference here being the level of discussion , some were very sulpherous but still there was an impressive exchange of arguments .

That has been a hallmark trait of this forum. We have great members who will tell you the truth pointedly, but not go for the jugular personally.

Perfect example why tabbing over 5 spaces before starting a new paragraph is taught.
And a blank line.

But, I didn't find it to be unfriendly at all. Rather it was just ranting and raving. I guess that's what forums are for... sometimes.

Back