• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fox News

canuck

I think there was a thread relating to Fox News a while back but don't know how to find it. Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone thought Fox News was kind of off the wall with their reporting. There is a Glenn Beck who folks on another forum have him saying that the Saudi national who was questioned as a witness in the Boston Bombing is actually a very dangerous man and seems to be threatening impeachment if there is a cover up. Is this for real, does anyone know. Seems to me that Fox News has a habit of being a bit strange? :confused:

Fox news takes a lot of heat because they're the only major new outlet in the U.S. that doesn't have a liberal spin on the news. They report a lot of stories that other news outlets ignore and love to point out when those other news outlets give preferential treatment to liberal politicians or liberal policies. The White house absolutely hates fox news.

Their down side is that they sometimes read into things that turn out to be nothing.

Yes, it's hard to know what's really happening from the news channels. We find the same with our newspapers. One newspaper we get is The National Post and it's about as far right as you can get without falling over. Our local paper isn't too bad, it mostly gets after the local dignitaries and takes pot shots at the premier. The Toronto paper is more middle of the road. We laugh at some of the articles in the Post as they are so terribly one-sided. I watched CNN during the Boston Bombing and Wolf Blitzer just about jumps right out of the screen, however, most of what he reported turned out to be true. This man, Glenn Beck, is not actually affiliated with Fox News I'm told, so he's off on his own conspiracy thing. He is so deadly serious about something which will be revealed on Monday and feels it will be enough for impeachment proceedings. Ah well, on Monday all will be revealed. :rolleyes:

What's interesting about Fox News is that Liberals don't like it because Fox presents alternative views. Conservatives don't like Fox News because they feel that Fox leans too far to the left with their "fair and balanced" practices.

Something to keep in mind is that news outlets don't exist to report the news, they are businesses in the entertainment business trying to earn market shares.

Something to keep in mind is that news outlets don't exist to report the news, they are businesses in the entertainment business trying to earn market shares.

Ahh, now you've hit on the heart of the thing. And their, as any corporation, heart is money. None are in the philanthropic business. Whoever yells the loudest brings the prize home.
gak.

To me all of the so-called "news" seems more like the same ol' same ol', so I mostly skip it and don't miss the TV I don't have at all. It all works itself out.
All true. Nothing new under the sun, by any means.
You'd think more people would become tired of that nonsense.

To me all of the so-called "news" seems more like the same ol' same ol', so I mostly skip it and don't miss the TV I don't have at all. It all works itself out.
I have a limited tolerance for media coverage of any major traumatic event..there's only so many awful images, and rehashing of awful details I can take before I have to shut them off and go think about something else for awhile.

I have a limited tolerance for media coverage of any major traumatic event..there's only so many awful images, and rehashing of awful details I can take before I have to shut them off and go think about something else for awhile.

Spot on, ABC!

I have a major intolerance for the news in all forms, but despite actively avoiding it, somehow one does become aware of important news which you can then follow as much or as little as one desires instead of having it shoved down your throat

And with this it all went wrong! News is not entertainment, should not be regarded as entertainment, or presented as entertainment, and yet that is what it has become. Integrity in journalism anyone? Anyone?

And with this it all went wrong! News is not entertainment, should not be regarded as entertainment, or presented as entertainment, and yet that is what it has become. Integrity in journalism anyone? Anyone?
I began to notice this trend years ago, when there was a mass shooting at a McDonalds in CA. Made me sick how reporters waived microphones in the faces of grief-stricken people so they could ask them how they felt...when news reporting broadens to that point with any major event, that's when I'm done.

I began to notice this trend years ago, when there was a mass shooting at a McDonalds in CA. Made me sick how reporters waived microphones in the faces of grief-stricken people so they could ask them how they felt...when news reporting broadens to that point with any major event, that's when I'm done.

I was done about 20 years ago and not missed it at all. Important news somehow still reaches me and for the rest I can do without all the negativity and the 'sky is falling' reporting. I'm sure that I could link the increase in belief that a. nature is about to fail us, b. some major world ending disaster is about to befall us and c. the end is just generally nigh with the increase in alarmist news reports all competing to deliver the 'worst' news possible.

FYI the end is not nigh! At least not in my house!

Ooops, :oops: meant to post on the Boston thread. Definitely need more coffee. Apologies all the way around.

NPR and BBC for most of my news coverage and sometimes CNN. NPR might be slower to report but they end up having to issue less corrections.

Aljazeera is a good place to go to see what the US news outlets aren't covering.

Thanks to Sparkchaser I watches Al Jazeera for a short while today, it was interesting to read news with no North American content. Just hope I don't end up with the Mounties at the door! :oops:

Back