• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Frank McCourt: Angela's Ashes

maladjust

this book is by frank mccourt about his impoverished childhood in ireland, and it is one of my favorite books. mccourt has an awesome voice throughout the memoir and it is the type of book you can't pu down until it you finish it.

has anyone else read it? thoughts?

I read it a few years ago and enjoyed the story. He has a few more, which come after this one, but I never read them.

I read this book earlier this year and really loved it. I thought that the lack of speech marks might get in the way of my enjoyment of the book, as usually this annoys me to no end, but McCourt is a great story teller and really pulled it off. There were certain moments where I thought that speech marks would come in handy in order to understand what was going on a bit more, but overall I think that it worked out o.k.

I don't think that I will be reading any of his other books, but I really did like this one. Has anyone read the others, and if so, what were they like?

I didn't even notice there weren't any speech marks.:eek: :) :eek:

It's brilliant...the film was dreadful in comparison to the book.

His second book is 'tis. It's the continuation of his life in New York. Very, very good. Not quite as good as Angela's As, but well worth reading.

and his third book is called teacher man, it is (as you might expect) focused on his years as a teacher. it is also a good book, and if you liked the first two i would say its definitely worth it

I read this a while back and really enjoyed it but i thought the film was good too,and its a bit heartbreaking as well,another one i cryed to! I really must stop this crying over books and films lol :)

I read 'Tis first and thought it was great. Then I read Angela's Ashes after seeing the film and remembering 'Tis, and thought there was a lot of the same material in them both. Obviously, 'Tis is the 'next chapter' in his life, and for readers who hadn't read Angela's Ashes (like me), it was helpful to learn a little of his childhood, but sometimes I found what seemed like huge chunks exactly the same in both books.

For that reason I have been put of reading Teacher Man, though one day I might...

I thought the lack of speech marks was typical for Irish writers. Joyce doesn't use speech marks either (as far as I recall).

I just thought I'd give this a bump. Honestly, if you've not read any of his books, it's time you did.:)

I read both Angela’s Ashes and ‘tis about 4 years ago. I really liked Angela’s Ashes but thought that ‘tis was not quite so good. They are certainly both worth reading but I would advise reading several other things in between.

I have not read Teacher Man yet, but will put it on my list, although goodness knows when I will get around to it.

I read Angela's Ashes about 2-3 years ago and I read 'Tis straight after. Don't remember much of it but it certainly was an eye-opener at the time.

I studied Angela's in Year 12 and I think it is the best book I've ever studied.

I think Frank's brother, Malachy, also wrote a book on their childhood after Angela's came out. Something about a monk in the title? I haven't read this though.

Malachy McCourt has written several books, I think the one you are referring to Peronel is "A Monk Swimming." I have read "Singing my him Song" also biographical, which I enjoyed a lot. If I remember rightly, he had quite a struggle with alcohol.

If Angela's Ashes is a memoir and not a novel, shouldn't why is it being discussed in the Fiction Forum?

That's true, it was a NY Times non-fiction Book of the Year. It would appear this thread is mis-placed. Mods? To the non-fiction!

Balmy Westwind said:
I read both Angela’s Ashes and ‘tis about 4 years ago. I really liked Angela’s Ashes but thought that ‘tis was not quite so good. They are certainly both worth reading but I would advise reading several other things in between.

I have not read Teacher Man yet, but will put it on my list, although goodness knows when I will get around to it.

You have said exactly what I was going to say :) I have Teacher Man on my TBR list but it's a long ways down. Not to say I didn't really love Angela's Ashes and like Tis quite a bit.

I'm reading Angela's Ashes right now. It is another one of those cases where I'm kicking myself for allowing this book to sit so long unread on my shelf. I will definately be reading the sequels and looking for Malachy McCourt's books too.

I read Angela's Ashes quite a few years ago but I remember loving it. The images were so vivid for me. Heartbreaking and quite believable.

this book is by frank mccourt about his impoverished childhood in ireland, and it is one of my favorite books. mccourt has an awesome voice throughout the memoir and it is the type of book you can't pu down until it you finish it.

has anyone else read it? thoughts?

"Spanner in the works" department here - I have to say it's one of my 'gave up on it' books. Nothing against the material, just couldn't stand the style of the prose.

Back