• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Franz Kafka

Shade

Ah, Kafka. One of the few twentieth century writers who can truly be known by surname alone, not least because it spawned an adjective (although, as Martin Amis points out, it has become wildly devalued to the point where a long queue in the post office is described as kafkaesque). Until this week I had only read a few of the stories that were published during his lifetime, like 'Metamorphosis' and this brief bright gem, 'Before the Law.' Reading these flawless pieces you really feel he deserves that adjectival honour.

As is widely known, Kafka left strict instructions to his friend Max Brod to burn all his writings that hadn't been published during his lifetime, including a whole bunch of other stories and the three unfinished and (then) untitled novels, The Trial, The Castle and Amerika (or America, depending on what edition you have). Of course Brod did nothing of the sort, and named the novels and published them. And who, faced with the possibility of rescuing a great writer from obscurity, combined with the blindness of having a gigantic cheque placed over one's eyes, can say they would have done it differently?

But, reading The Trial this week, I wish he hadn't. It turns out, I think, that Kafka was not only a great writer but a really great judge of his own work. The Trial doesn't stand up. As someone who believes Nabokov's dictum that showing unfinished work is akin to handing round specimens of your own sputum - and who has never felt enthused to read his own copies of The Last Tycoon or The Salmon of Doubt - I had my suspicions about The Trial from early on. Completion is a necessary requirement of a work of art. These suspicions redoubled when I read in the appendix to one edition that Brod had not only titled the novel (as there's no actual trial in it, the German Der Prozess seems more fitting), but also ordered the chapters, other than the first and last (which does end the book pretty definitively, but Kafka apparently intended to write much more for the middle of the book). So immediately I should have let go of any hopes that there might be a followable plot. Instead what we get is a series of vignettes, where the put-upon 'hero' Josef K. meets various people and officials and non-officials in an attempt to put paid to the unfair proceedings which have been brought against him by the state.

As a classic, The Trial has all the muddled expectations that come with any well-known book. I supposed, for example, that at the beginning of the novel Josef K. would be arrested for a crime he did not commit, taken into custody and be subjected to a series of escalating processes of demeaning confusing humiliation by the state, full of circular crosstalk and unresolved reflexive arguments. There would perhaps be almost circles of hell for K. to pass through, each more baffling and clinically bureaucratic than the last; until, eventually, separated from society and reason, K. would take his own life. All lovely and symbolic.

Well if you fancy writing that book, go ahead, because Kafka didn't. Instead there are only two scenes of confrontation with authority: the opening scene, where K. is told he is under arrest and - that's it - left to be; and a scene where he appears before a crowded room of magistrates and the public, and nothing much happens. Other than that he is not required to do anything and never is he taken anywhere against his will. The dialogue is filled with non-sequiturs - rather as the chapters themselves do not necessarily follow on from one another - and is rendered semi-impenetrable by Brod's, or the publisher's, or the translator's, slavish adherence to Kafka's 'idiosyncratic' punctuation (hardly any paragraphs; dialogue running without line breaks; commas between speech and action appearing and disappearing randomly). The prose should be clear and lucid, to contrast with the muddied and complex ways of the law and the state (or it should, if the book was actually about those things, which it's not, so it isn't). And speaking of translations, here is the classic opening of The Trial, by Willa and Edwin Muir, who first brought us Kafka in English (and this novel in 1935):

Someone must have been telling lies about Joseph K., for without having done anything wrong he was arrested one fine morning.

Solid and elegant, you might think. Someone must have been telling lies about Joseph K. Great stuff. It has resonance. So why did the translator of my edition (first published in English in 1994) feel the need to say:

Someone must have made a false accusation against Josef K., ...

Made a false accusation? Now how idiomatic is that? The back cover is even worse, where it becomes "laid a false accusation." But perhaps this policy of adopting overdone locutions is appropriate for Kafka's overdone (yet incomplete) novel.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't even reach the end of my edition; put off by the absolutely certain knowledge that nothing of significance - or assistance in understanding - was going to happen, I gave up about two-thirds of the way through. Which enables me to quote Amis again, accurately, when he said "I have never been able to finish one of Kafka's novels. But then neither could Kafka."

Try reading The Castle... Finished or not, I don't think it matters too much. The thing about Kafka is the gradually-increasing horror of the "facelessness of the bureaucratic machine" - an atmosphere, more than a pure narrative. I will never forget the time in the late 80s, when I was reading a lot of modernist literature from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I got hold of The Castle and read it almost in one sitting, with growing excitement and amazement. Then, I went to a party in the evening... I could scarcely speak to anyone! I had The Castle at the forefront of my brain, working acidically like particularly potent imagery. I think Orson Welles' assessment was 100% correct: that read in a certain way, Kafka is actually hugely funny. "He's guilty as hell!!" Welles used to say of Joseph K - and I suspect he was probably right.

It sounds to me that the translations could have a lot to do with it. I didn't notice any greater difference in the prose between the swedish translation of "Die Verwandlung" and "Der Process".

The swedish translation of "Amerika" that I read had however long sentences that I had to read several times to fully grasp the meaning of and even then they still didn't seem proper. As far as I care the prose wasn't very good.

The edition of "Der Process" that I read had all the incomplete parts in it and half of the introduction is about their reasons to put them in a specific order and I felt that they had done their homework.

I enjoyed it very much but the next time I read it I'll probably skip most of the incomplete parts because they did feel incomplete and differed with the rest of the book.

The next Kafka that I had planned to try is "Das Schloss".

The Metamorphosis has damaged my mind with (the sense of) despaire and weakness. At this time I recalled it, that feeling was revived as if I just closed its last page. :(

Since the Metamorposis and Other Stories will be the January 2007 book of the month, I went to order it from the library, and noticed there are several choices for tranlations. I wonder if it matters which one I choose? Friendly advice needed here!

When I read The Trial I never had the impression the novel was incomplete. K is executed in the end, how more conclusive could it be?

I don't have any particular affection for Kafka, to be honest. I like this novel, I consider The Metamorphosis one of the finest literary texts ever written, but I can't stand his other work. His short-stories are dull, they never build up to anything. His prose doesn't keep me interested, he has a banal choice of words, like writing reports or memos in an office. And I have a laugh at poor Kafka trying to imitate Dostoevsky.

Mr. Brod should have followed his friend's advice. The world wouldn't be poorer for it.

Heteronym: as I mentioned above, Kafka wrote the last chapter but intended to write much more for the central sections of The Trial.

Abecedarian: I'd go for the translations by Willa and Edwin Muir, which seem to me to have stood the test of time. I must admit I'm tempted by the new Penguin Modern Classics edition which will be published in the UK just in time for the January 2007 Book of the Month...

awww.penguin.co.uk_static_covers_all_6_2_9780141188126H.jpg

And the others aren't bad looking either.

awww.penguin.co.uk_static_covers_all_6_8_9780141188386H.jpg

awww.penguin.co.uk_static_covers_all_2_0_9780141182902H.jpg

awww.penguin.co.uk_static_covers_all_7_6_9780141186467H.jpg

Does anyone have a listing of the stories included in "Metamorphosis and other stories"? I thought I'd take this opportunity to finally read Kafka untranslated, and I'd just like to know if the German edition I have contains roughly the same stories...

Destroying manuscripts is the way forward. I think we can all agree with that...

I think granting a dead man's last wish is far more important than saving art for our selfish gratification :D Who knows if Kafka ever wanted the people who enjoy reading him to enjoy reading him at all? Obviously he didn't. Sure, some people love his stuff, but does anyone stop to consider poor Franz' thoughts? Well, do you? :mad: I thought so.

Besides, good literature is written all the time... if it weren't, we'd have nothing to burn, and matches would be useless :D

I think granting a dead man's last wish is far more important than saving art for our selfish gratification :D Who knows if Kafka ever wanted the people who enjoy reading him to enjoy reading him at all? Obviously he didn't. Sure, some people love his stuff, but does anyone stop to consider poor Franz' thoughts? Well, do you? :mad: I thought so.

Besides, good literature is written all the time... if it weren't, we'd have nothing to burn, and matches would be useless :D

I understand your sympathy for Kafka's wishes, but I would argue that none of us ever get all that we wish for, nor should we. There are times for each of us when we express desires that are just not in our best interests. That's when it might be right for our loved ones to intervene and override those expressed wishes. Artists are known for being plagued by self-doubts and depression; Kafka was no different. In this case his last wish was wisely over ruled, so that the world might have the benefit of Kafka's insight.

Beer good: To complicate matters, I've seen different collections headed by Metamorphosis. For example I somehow ended up with a Vintage Classics edition and a Penguin Classics edition (both UK) which had Metamorphosis at the start but different stories following. Traditionally, though, I think it refers to the stories that were published during Kafka's lifetime. In the editions illustrated above, then, I would expect The Great Wall of China to feature the stories he didn't publish during his life. But yes, I think there's a strong possibility people could be reading different selections come January...

Beer good: To complicate matters, I've seen different collections headed by Metamorphosis. For example I somehow ended up with a Vintage Classics edition and a Penguin Classics edition (both UK) which had Metamorphosis at the start but different stories following. Traditionally, though, I think it refers to the stories that were published during Kafka's lifetime. In the editions illustrated above, then, I would expect The Great Wall of China to feature the stories he didn't publish during his life. But yes, I think there's a strong possibility people could be reading different selections come January...
Yep, I'd agree that traditionally it should be stories that were published during his lifetime - which include Meditation, The Judgement, The Country Doctor,and A Hunger Artist. January's BOTM is going to be very entertaining, I'm looking forward to it.

Back