• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Freezing screen-why?

SFG75

A lot of times, if I click on the general discussion header, the page that I'm on freezes and I have to do one of those "end application" right-click thingies and start over again. Virus problem perhaps? :confused: :confused: :confused:

SFG75 said:
A lot of times, if I click on the general discussion header, the page that I'm on freezes and I have to do one of those "end application" right-click thingies and start over again. Virus problem perhaps? :confused: :confused: :confused:

it must be something to do with your computer. I've never had that problem. Perhaps your computer is bogged down with a virus or spyware.

SFG75 said:
SFG
Which header do you mean?
I'm a glutton for punishment and willing to try it, if you tell me where it is, what the words are on it. As you might guess I haven't found any headers yet that hang when I click on them, but on the other hand I'm not sure it sounds like avirus to me either. I have hung enough times, but not in the manner you describe. So I'm willing to give it a try. :eek:

Peder

My screen just froze when I tried to submit a PM and I had to end the task and start up a new internet connection. It's hung a few times for PMs but this is the first time it stubbornly refused to proceed. So it isn't in SFG's imagination.

GAH!! It did it again! I even copied my PM composition so I could paste it to an email if necessary and after it froze I tried to paste to an email and nothing happened!!

Would this be a gremlin in the forum or in my computer? I'm going to run all my antivirus, ad-aware and SpyBot and see if that helps.

Miss Shelf said:
Would this be a gremlin in the forum or in my computer? I'm going to run all my antivirus, ad-aware and SpyBot and see if that helps.
Your computer. Don't forget to update each of the above programs before scanning. I would also suggest running each in Safe Mode and terminating the "explorer.exe" process before running--that will keep most trojan horses from regenerating while you are trying to remove them.

Thanks for the comments-I will definitely get this baby in to get looked at. I've also had a problem where I'll click on "preview" before a post and then the whole page shuts down. You can imagine what I say next, let's just say it's very fluent French. :D Thanks again.

well, I cleared my cache, ran antivirus, etc. and wrote a short test PM and clicked Submit and held my breath and crossed my fingers and toes, and it took a few seconds...and worked!! :)

GAAHHHH! It did it again! Fortunately I composed my PM on Notepad and sent it as email. Somebody tell me it's definitely not a bug in this forum, please!

Hmm. It seems that short PMs go through OK, it's just the wordy ones that are hanging. Besides, SFG's problem was different from mine and I don't have a problem posting in threads, so I'm thinking it might be a bug in the forum.

Miss Shelf said:
Besides, SFG's problem was different from mine and I don't have a problem posting in threads, so I'm thinking it might be a bug in the forum.
Yeah, I'm beginning to think that there may be also, what with the posting problems that SFG, Peder /and/ Sitaram are having, as well as your PM problem. Seems like all of this has been cropping up since the since was down for maintenance. All I know is that I have been having no troubles at all with the forum. Hmmm :confused:

Just for the record,
The demon of the "hung reply with quote" struck again in a reply I attempted to Lindaj07 up in Introductions. This time it was only evidenced as very very slow reaction time -- a minute or so before the link to TBF was made after I pressed Preview Post. And then another couple minutes while things sat there frozen with the blue completion bar at the left edge. (I run Win98SE, still.) But finally a response came back "Error on page" and I was returned to the edit page where my response had been and it was completely gone. At that point the computer was smiling at me as if everything was normal and good to go.

So I posted my reply in a separate post, where I then removed the QUOTE tags manually and set the quote in italics. Same length reply, no problem!

So for me it is definitely the use of the Quote feature that is giving rise to the problems and this is the first time I have received any indication at all from the system for what it thought the problem was.

So some of us are just plain lucky, while others are just plain envious. :D

Peder

Just curious, but for those having problems posting, what type of Internet connections do you use? High-speed? Dial-up?

I have the same problems at work and at home, one is Earthlink DSL and the other is Verizon DSL.

I stopped having problems for now, since I never use bbcodes quote tags.

I have broadband, and last night I had worse problems with screen hang on another website. I thought about it and switched from Outlook Express to Firefox and it worked fine. How many of you who are having problems, are using OE?

Delete all cookies

It is worwhile to go into Internet Options and delete all cookies, and then log in again to TBF, simply to rule out a problem with cookies. It is worthwhile to download other browsers, such as netscape or opera, to rule out a browser problem.

Another tactic is to test by joining and posting to another vBulliten (gelsoft) board. If you can post there with no problems, then, you have proven to yourself that the problem may possibly not be with your machine or internet provider, but somehow a problem with this forums server, or the vbulliten software, and its configuration.

Just my humble suggestions. No intentions of inciting riot, fomenting discord, or overthrowing the government. (<=== that is my attempt at humor...)

Back