• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Freezing screen-why?

I got hung up three times (all at the posting point) this morning on IE, so I switched to Firefox and haven't had any problems since then. I think it's the way my cookie crushers and pop-up killers are interacting with IE and this site.

1. I am running Outlook Express, but have only sent two PM's, and with no trouble.
2. I am running only with AVG anti virus protection. No cookie, pop-up, pop-under, ad or any other filters.
3. My problem more and more looks like what Sitaram and I discovered in our case, namely that replying and including a quote was a risky busines if the accompanying text grew too long. Short quotes and short text seem to work OK here. (So far, and fingers always crossed). Sometimes the system takes a while to respond but, thank Heaven, it does. With longer quote/posts it does not come back at all.
4. And once the system came back after a long time with "Error on page" and my text completely gone but the quote still there, and seemingly ready for new text, as I recall.
5. And that's the summary from here.

Peder

For those who prefer Internet Explorer, I suppose a re-install of IE would be a worthwhile experiment, or applying updates, if updates exist. You may download netscape first, to make certain you have some kind of browser working, before you play games with IE.

Sometimes, I suppose, it can be the various and sundry settings of IE with regard to security, cookies, permissions, trusted sites, activex, and lord knows what else.

Sitaram said:
Sometimes, I suppose, it can be the various and sundry settings of IE with regard to security, cookies, permissions, trusted sites, activex, and lord knows what else.
It could well be, as I am using IE and have no problems :)

Ice said:
It could well be, as I am using IE and have no problems :)

Ice,
Please excuse the question, but you mean you are having no prblems doing what we are trying to do, namely responding with Quote button to a post with a longish included text of our own? As I am now doing with you, except that this is a short included text.

Peder

I don't know, this is a recent thing. It just happened to me in the last few days, previously I had no problems using IE (not Outlook Express, I got mixed up-hadn't had enough coffee when I posted that one). I think I'll stick to using Firefox for a while.

P.S. the other site I had trouble with was a vBulletin board, and they recently had a lot of problems and had to start their site up from scratch again.

Peder said:
Ice,
Please excuse the question, but you mean you are having no prblems doing what we are trying to do, namely responding with Quote button to a post with a longish included text of our own? As I am now doing with you, except that this is a short included text.

Peder
Hi Peder,

I am having no problems at all with the site - whether it be reply with quotes, quick reply, post reply etc :)

Having given my summary earlier, unfortunately I now have to add that I just hung a PM with a short included Quote (~5 lines) and a longish response (~40 lines). :(

I guess the moral for me is to keep it short, which runs against my nature, but is something I can accept as a personal challenge :D

Drat :mad:
Peder

Ice said:
Hi Peder,

I am having no problems at all with the site - whether it be reply with quotes, quick reply, post reply etc :)

Ice,
Thanks for the reply. I have no problems either when I keep my responses short, as you just did. But I bet I could hang this reply by extending my text here to maybe 40 lines or so.

So I'll keep my replies short,
As I just now did,
Peder

Well, just found out from a relative-it's a virus. Turns out that it's one of those trojan-horse thingies. I can get to everywehre on TBF, but to post on a thread under the "general discussion" area, I have to wait for it on "new posts" :mad: :(

SFG,
Did your relative say which one?
So one could track down remedial measures on the Web.
Peder

Peder said:
Ice,
Thanks for the reply. I have no problems either when I keep my responses short, as you just did. But I bet I could hang this reply by extending my text here to maybe 40 lines or so.

So I'll keep my replies short,
As I just now did,
Peder
I'll be back after a little test :)

Well I ran a little test - I managed to hit the post limit without it hanging on me - it took slightly longer to return to the page when I got to 8000+ characters but it still posted fine. So it does not appear that length of post is a problem. It may be the time it takes you to compose a long reply?

Ice said:
It may be the time it takes you to compose a long reply?

Well, Ice,
There's an interesting thought! Yes the thinking does take me a while in composing a long reply, and I may be running afoul of some dormancy limit. I don't cut and paste. Any idea, offhand, what time limits might be?
Peder

Ice,
So, for myself, I now conclude that I may be overflowing some internal buffer associated with my own system, or with my modem (PC card); or that my connectivity (either end) is dropping out during the time it takes me to compose a message.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Guess I can check the connectivity timing issue with a small reply and just letting it sit there a while before attempting to post.
And I guess I can try to duplicate the awesome results of your humongous test posts, or perhaps even reply to one, down in the test area. When I am back in the mood for hanging up, or thirsty for knowledge, I'll try those things :D

For the moment short is OK.

Many thanks for your efforts and thoughts,
Sincerely
Peder

Peder said:
And I guess I can try to duplicate the awesome results of your humongous test posts, or perhaps even reply to one, down in the test area. When I am back in the mood for hanging up, or thirsty for knowledge, I'll try those things :D
:D

I hope you get the issues resolved :)

Ice,

Try the following experiment....

Create a small post. Save it. Then, lengthen it in stages, using Edit/Update.

With each chunk of text that you add, include a pair of bbcode quote tags somewhere in the addition, quoting a line or two. See how large you can get it without a problem, e.g. file, edit, add another paragraph containing a quoted line or two, file, etc. etc. etc.

Ice said:
:D

I hope you get the issues resolved :)
Well, Ice,
Down in the test area you'll see some things that I didn't think would work, but they did , thanks to your input. So they are food for thought, and a step toward resolving my issues.
Many thanks again,
Peder

Sitaram said:
Ice,

Try the following experiment....

Create a small post. Save it. Then, lengthen it in stages, using Edit/Update.

With each chunk of text that you add, include a pair of bbcode quote tags somewhere in the addition, quoting a line or two. See how large you can get it without a problem, e.g. file, edit, add another paragraph containing a quoted line or two, file, etc. etc. etc.

How was that test? I included a quote, Bold, Italic, Underline and a link in every new section. I still managed to get to the post limit without it freezing :)

Back