• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Freezing screen-why?

Amazing! Perhaps your purity of heart gives you an advantage.

When I tried to make a little post like this, a few minutes ago, not only did the task lock, but I could not kill the task with task monitor, and I had to reboot the entire machine (which is rare). And we are talking about a new Dell with obscene amounts of memory and processor speed, and a DSL connection.

I took no longer than 5 minutes with the PM I had trouble posting-I don't think it has anything to do with time taken to compose a message. Isn't there an error message when your PM is too long-I haven't seen that for a while, either.

Peder, can you try using Mozilla Firefox instead of IE and see if that helps?

Ms Shelf,
This may sound dumb, but I don't think my ISP supports Firefox. Plus I am not so adept that I think I can handle two mailers (or browsers?) on my system. :(
Peder

I don't think you're dumb-almost everything I know about computers I've learned the hard way, trial and error, with a lot of cursing and tears. :D You can try downloading Firefox and see if your ISP will support it. If it doesn't, too bad-at least you'll know for sure.

Nobody should attempt to delete and reinstall anything unless they're confident they know what they're doing, and have the phone number of someone who does know what they're doing, if they run into problems. Nobody should disable antivirus protection just to be able to post on a forum.

I guess we won't know for sure what the problem is till IE admits they have a bug; forums find out they have a bug; or someone finds a bug on their computer. I've run everything and haven't found any problems on my machine, which leads me to think it's either IE or a vBulletin problem.

Installing additional browsers is a piece of cake. The new browser just becomes an icon on your desktop. If it asks you at some point whether you want to make it your system default browser, then just say no.

Say no to browsers, no to drugs, and remember: no baloon, no party.

Ms Shelf,
I have posted regularly on two other forums, and still post regularly on the one of them (neither of them vBulletin), without any problems of the intermittent sort I have been having here. I'm not sure that helps with the logic of where the problem is when I am here, but I have to say I have been surprised that my posts have hung.
However, I believe I will accommodate myself to the situation and life will go on without major aggravation. I certainly won't be reporting every similar hangup, now that some parameters for the problem seem to have been established, as long as I am able to post reasonably well.
In my case, that probably amounts only to removing QUOTE tags where I think the post might be a long one.

Type B, not type A, :)
Peder

Miss Shelf said:
Isn't there an error message when your PM is too long-I haven't seen that for a while, either.
Yes - feel free to correct me if I am wrong but I think the limit for PM's is 2,000 characters and for posts it is 10,000 characters :)

That's it-when my screen froze during a longish PM, I never got the alert that I exceed the allowable amount of characters. I thought I might have gone over the limit but I didn't get the alert-just a frozen screen.

I'm going to upgrade to the new vBulletin 3.0.9 later today.

It looks like they've found a bug in 3.0.8 which causes IE to freeze on occasions.

Darren,
I add to the general Hosannas YAY! :D :D :D
And many thanks to whoever found the bug! :D
Peder :)

Back