• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

From the land of jets and coffee...

RobertM

'The land of jets and coffee' refers to Seattle, Washington since it's the home of Boeing and Starbucks...and good old Bill Gates. If you drive across the floating bridge between Seattle and Bellevue, you can actually see his house on the shoreline.

It's probably better if you refer to my profile to see what I do, because I don't want to start out with shameless promotion, etc. Let's just say I like science-fiction and leave it at that. :)

When I'm not working, I like to go up into the wilderness and use a laptop to edit books, or take pictures, fish, hike, and relax. Washington State is a unique place because you can enjoy the urban comforts of Seattle, and within an hours' drive you can be in a place that has swallowed hunters, hikers, and planes with equal derision, and usually without a trace...the Cascade Mountains. There are thousands of miles of Forest Service roads and trails in Washington, and I have traveled so many of them that I no longer need a map to find my way around. This means I either no longer need a map...or I'm getting old. Probably both.

I noticed this was a U.K.-based site and that is fine with me. I often work with Geoff Nelder, who is from Chester.

Hi and welcome from the other aircraft capitol..Wichita KS! (Well sorta, we're still in the same county). I know lots of Boeing folks(ex Boeing now)who spent plenty of time in Seattle. I hear it's really beautiful up there. Have a great day!

Uh...well....I've been to the mother ship before(i.e.-Starbucks):D

Welcome to the board!.:)

Hi. My late grandad used to live in a town at the foot of Mt. St. Helens. Tiny little place. See ya round here.:cool:

Hi. My late grandad used to live in a town at the foot of Mt. St. Helens. Tiny little place. See ya round here.:cool:

:eek: His name wasn't Harry Truman, by any chance was it? When St. Helens blew in the early 80's this old guy by that name refused to budge, saying he'd take his chances. All sorts of people tried to talk him into evacuating, as they knew for months it was going to go sometime soon. He never budged, and was buried under all that muck. :(

Welcome! I love Seattle and the rainy weather would be the perfect romantic setting for me to write. It would also probably make me depressed... but it sure is beautiful up there. I bet those mountains are great.

Bren said:

"Hi. My late grandad used to live in a town at the foot of Mt. St. Helens. Tiny little place. See ya round here."

Bren may have been referring to the town of Cougar, which still exists and is a major food/gas stop on the way to the St. Helens National Monument.

Speaking of St. Helens, I remember the day it blew up. I was clear up in Everett, at least a hundred and twenty miles away, and a fine layer of ash still reached us.
I'll tell you this much: If Rainier goes, I'm moving out of Washington. I couldn't stand looking up and seeing a big hole where it used to be. Hopefully, it will remain intact.

Back