• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Fyodor Dostoevsky: Crime And Punishment

I am planning on reading Crime and Punishment. Which translator is the best? I've heard someone say that Pevear and Volokhonsky are very good. I have seen a lot of Crime and Punishment that were translated by Constance Garnett. Can anyone compare the two? I'm looking to buy the book in a couple of days. Thanks.

It's interesting that you mention Bulgakov because I thought that he is not that popular in Russia. I thought he'd be more popular overseas since he mocks the Stalinist Era. I have read some stories by Pushkin too, and really like them, his poetry just seems so natural and beautifull. However, the language is a barrier, since I don't know russian that well, and reading poetry translated skews Pushkin's poetry in my opinion. As far as the Constance Garnett translations, those are the only ones I have read of in Crime and Punishment, however I have just switched translators in the middle of "The Possessed" and have found that Garnett's translations are more boring and long-winded than other translators.

I went with the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation. I skimmed it a little and it flows better for me. I have Garnett's translation of Notes from the Underground and ecks is right she seems to tranlate it in a boring, longwinded style. Now I just have to finish up 1984 so I can start on Crime and Punishment.

ecks said:
It's interesting that you mention Bulgakov because I thought that he is not that popular in Russia. I thought he'd be more popular overseas since he mocks the Stalinist Era.
Just so we love this author. He discribes our real existence, At that time when Stalin was secretary of ruling party. Did you read Master&Margarita?

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky

I need to make a book poster for school and I chose to do it on Crime and Punishment, but I need some help. I need to have a quote, from the book, on the poster that gives people an idea of what Crime and Punishment is about. And the quote shouldn't be too long (maybe at most 8 words if possible). Does anyone have a quote that they would like to offer?

What do you mean we, Rustam, do you mean you and your friends or the whole russian generation in general? I have Master and Margarita on my shelf as well as Heart of a Dog on my shelf, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'm too busy reading Captain Michalis by Nikos Kasandsakis, a Greek author, have you ever heard of it?

ecks said:
What do you mean we, Rustam, do you mean you and your friends or the whole russian generation in general? I have Master and Margarita on my shelf as well as Heart of a Dog on my shelf, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'm too busy reading Captain Michalis by Nikos Kasandsakis, a Greek author, have you ever heard of it?
I meant almost all our nation, of course that part of it which didn't suffer of his repressions. Who can see real things ... Who can analize. As for other part, they read this book as a fiction, that's all. We read M&M in school program, so i think children can't understand book.

Nikos Kasandsakis no i didn't read this author. What about he wright?

Captain Michalis is about the Turkish rule in Crete, and about two close friends, one a christian Crete, other a muslin Turk, who grew up together, but now after many years become bitter enemies. I haven't heard of it anywhere in America, and was wondering if it was popular in Russia. Here's an essay on it: http://www.historical-museum.gr/kazantzakis/darrel.html

Mine is by a felow called Andrew R. MacAndrew, but I'm only reading it because it's the only translation our library has next to Constance Garnett. I think they have the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation in B&N, you can try that. Tell me how it goes.

ecks said:
Mine is by a felow called Andrew R. MacAndrew, but I'm only reading it because it's the only translation our library has next to Constance Garnett. I think they have the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation in B&N, you can try that. Tell me how it goes.

I picked up a Pevear and Volokhonsky translation at B&N. They give it the title "Demons" and say that it was eroneously translated as "The Possessed". I've seen it titled as "Devils", "Demons" and "The Possessed". I can't wait to read this, maybe even moreso than "Crime and Punishment". Any thoughts on what I should read first? I'm thinking C&P but just curious as to what everyone else thinks.

Daniel, if you're still around and still haven't made your decision I suggest you start with Crime and Punishment. ;)

I'd also recommend the Pevear and Volokhonsky translations over Garnett. I've only compared their translations of Crime and Punishment and Anna Karenina but in those I found the Pevear and Volokhonsky translations much easier reads.

Yes this is just a veiled bump for a great book. :D

Fyodor Dostoyevsky: Crime & Punishment

Decided to give this one a re-read for the third time. I keep coming back to it due to the lively characters and the politics of the period. I don't think it's better than TBK, but it's a good one at any rate.

I have just completed the first chapter of Crime and Punishment, and already Fyodor has acquired my loyalty. He is too good in describing the thoughts of his characters. And, though, more than once, I found those thoughts to be repulsive, particularly Raskolnikoff's dream, where a hapless mare is killed by drunk people left me disgusted, and yet as I read on, I found that the dream described Raskolnikoff's conscience so very well. He is on the verge of murdering an old woman, and though he tries hard to convince himself that the act is justified, in his heart, he knows that he is no different from the murderers of innocent mare. I have an inkling that more than the crime, his guilt is going to be his downfall. The book is quite engrossing and intense so far.

Dostoyevsky is genius. Brothers Karamazov is his best... have you read The Possessed (Demons)? It says the Possessed on my copy but it is very old and the new version is called Demons. That was my first Dostoyevsky novel and i couldn't stop after that. Crime And Punishment does have a different appeal though, can't quite put my finger on it

Fyodor Dostoyevski: Crime and Punishment

I've just recently finished Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoevsky: it's a quality read, but not an easy read. Thought provoking and did have me lying awake thinking about how cruel life can be in some parts of the world. The development of the charters is suburb. It's a gritty yarn of good ol' detective work.

Back