• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

General Chat Divided - Yay or Nay

Should General Chat be subdivided?

• Total voters
Lies - Because even in spam, separate discussions can be found, and it's difficult to have several discussions (however spammy) in one thread.

EDIT - Novella, fair enough, good points made. This is what the poll is for, to see if we really want it or not.

Cheers

i agree and i know i am a bad offender, but what about circumstances like the thumper thread. it has sort of died a slow death, everything that could be said has been and so now ronny and i are just sort of chitchatting(which just happened organically i might add). so i guess the idea would be that one of us would say, oh hey let's move this to moto mayhem, or the water cooler? in the event that someone still had something to say?

Hey, I'm an offender, too - it ain't a bad thing.

And yes, you could do that - start a thread in the other forum and babble away about whatever it is you want to know.

Cheers

Absolutely not! General chat is perfectly fine as it is.

You can never please everybody. Three will always be somebody that does not like what there is. Make the whole forum non-spamey? There are members will hate that. Make the forum totally spammy? Again, there are people that won't like it. Make it a balance ( as in the way it is ) you will get people that aren't happy.

There will always be a small minority of highly vocal dissenters be it with life or with forum.

Martin said:
Lies - Because even in spam, separate discussions can be found, and it's difficult to have several discussions (however spammy) in one thread.
It works great. I've seen it done on other fora, even on bigger ones.
jenngorham said:
so i guess the idea would be that one of us would say, oh hey let's move this to moto mayhem, or the water cooler? in the event that someone still had something to say?
That's the idea, yes. You'd also be free to just start a conversation there and talk to whoever else is online.

Most so-called spamming on TBF is not malicious or ill-intentioned at all, but rises naturally out of something in the thread. A new poster will jump in and someone will say, "do you really like hockey" or "how's life Down Under" and it goes from there. That's sort of nice and hard to police, but I think if you find yourself six or seven posts in on that, it might be time to make another thread to chat with that person.

Other times someone who is bored will jump into a serious discussion and say "did you just see that penguin." I think that's really inconsiderate. It's like a kid who insists on interrupting his mother when she's talking just because he needs the attention. When it's carried on for ten posts or so, it's alienating and rude. Sure, I could jump into that. I can post about biscuits and penguins, too. Christ, it's not a big challenge. It's not clever. But I think it's a waste of my time--to either post like that or read that stuff.

Agreed, Novella. Completely.

So, shouldn't we give the Penguin/biscuit-people a place of their own?

Cheers

I think that it would have been a good idea to divide the general forum if discussions about politics and religion hadn't been verboten. There's not much discussion worth dividing otherwise.

I don't agree - look at all the threads Motokid starts - none of them political/religious, and all of them interesting and creating discussions.

Cheers

I'd say that a lot of Motokid's most interesting threads have been political actually (e.g. smoking in public laws, legalising marijuana and prostitution).

im with lies on having one spambox thread, i had been in forums with 50000+ members that use this sistem and threads in general chat area keeps mostly on topic, also been to forums with two general chat areas, (i.e. public discussion and talking bollocks), and still there is a lot of off topic in both.

there is nothing to loose with giving it a try, it just mean open just one thread named spambox or whatever, that can be simply deleted if necesary

I can't really see the point in splitting it myself - it's General Chat, you're able to talk about anything (apart from the obvious exceptions). Interesting to see what others think though.

I voted "nay". I don't think it'll solve anything.

PM people, PM mods, start a new thread, drag the discussion back on topic.

My vote is leave things as they are.

It's "general chat" for "non-book related", "off-topic" discussions....

This part of TBF is for exactly what we are doing, and if we police ourselves, which everybody here seems to be all in favor of, them we can direct a thread any way we please.

I really don't understand where or what the problem is.

Do I actually need to click the yay or nay button or does this post count as my vote?

As you can see the vote is divided. As I said ages ago in the Thumper thread, we have a balance. You can't please everybody. You have to compromise and accept there will always be things you don't like.

Pigeon said:
And who gets to decide what is 'bs' and what is 'proper'? What sort of catagories/regulations/restrictions would be set up? Don't get me wrong, I think it's an interesting idea. I am just not sure that it is feasible (and I'm not sure what's wrong with the forums as they are now).

As a point of interest regarding Pigeon's thoughts, where would my "Admit it, you fart , and you love it" thread be listed? Would this be in the non-serious catagory, or the serious catagory?

Back