• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

General Chat Divided - Yay or Nay

Should General Chat be subdivided?

• Total voters
StillILearn said:
I never realized there could be so many rules!

What's so many? There are really just three. No Politics. No Religion. No personal attacks. Oh, and number 4...no "direct" advertising.

The thing that's important to try to remember is a forum that starts with less restriction can survive just fine, most problems would probably be forced to the surface when the rules start changing mid-stream after the forum has been open for years on end. People don't really like change.

Highjacking and spamming?

Digression is my middle name -- should be my first, actually. Digressing Still.

Here, it seems that free-association and aimless rambling (heaven forfend) are actually discouraged. That's the rule I find it difficult to adhere to, really. Linear thinkers must feel very comfortable here.

Insofar as politics are concerned, I have witnessed what they can do to a forum. Politics and religion will open their giant maws and swallow up any rational form of discussion. I can see where those subjects need the gentle hand of a moderator -- I can't be trusted with them myself.

When I feel the need to fling my arms about and blaspheme, I go over to 4m or Mind Matters. But they won't talk books with me. Or only enough to be polite.

So, I'll stay here and mind my pints and quarts, thank you very much.

Back