• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

George R. R. Martin

Dawn

kickbox
I'm anxiously awaiting the next book in the Fire and Ice series, which is supposed to come out in April. I may have to reread the others to refresh my memory. Anyone else interested in Martin?

I like his writing style and his characterization. Everyone has depth. He has created a very interesting world, although it's not one I would wish to live in!

I've recently read the first of this series and have just bought the second. I think that Martin has created something different from the usual fantasy bestsellers; the way he is unafraid to kill his characters struck me - it seems to be not a book about specific characters but about the events taking place (though they are seen through the characters eyes!). Did that make any sense?!

it seems to be not a book about specific characters but about the events taking place (though they are seen through the characters eyes!). Did that make any sense?!

It makes perfect sense to me. I would say that the characters are important to the events, though. We learn more and more about each character as the events progress and what we learn is sometimes surprising and sometimes disturbing. We learn more and more about what motivates them to do what they do.
The villians are not always the most obvious ones either. At least the obvious ones aren't the only ones.

If you liked the first book, you'll definitely enjoy the second. I'm sorry to hear that we'll have to wait even longer for the next one. I was hoping to have a series to take up again after finishing Jordan's Crossroads of Twilight. I guess now I'll have to wait on the next Sword of Truth novel. That's due out in July...I hope.

Just stopped by his site and it looks like he is getting closer, BUT still has a while to go. I reckon we won't see anythimh till September at the earliest.

From here

YES, I'M STILL WORKING ON IT. HONEST.
Well, 2003 has come to an end... but sad to say, A FEAST FOR CROWS hasn't.

I'm getting closer, though, page by bloody page. Yesterday I finished another chapter, the forty-first (though I do move these chapters around as I write, so it probably won't be the forty-first when FEAST is finally published). It's a Davos chapter, his second in the volume.

I now have 911 manuscript pages in something very close to final draft form. I also have about eight additional chapters in fragmentary form, a couple of them fairly close to completion. But there's more that will be needed after that. I don't believe in saying, "Okay, I've got X number of pages, that's enough, I'll end the book." Each volume is a part of the overall story, but also needs its own beginning, middle, climax, and end to make for a satisfying read. As I have said here before, I am writing as fast as I can, but my first priority is to make the novel as good as it be.

The moment the book is done I will announce it here. The instant. The second. So if you visit this website, and this notice is still in place, it means I'm still writing. Various websites and bookshops have announced various publication dates, but until the book is actually finished and delivered, they are all pure guesswork.

No one really knows when A FEAST FOR CROWS will be finished, or when it will be published. Especially not me. When I do, know, I'll tell you here. For now, though, the only answer must remain, "As soon as possible."

Once again, I'd like to thank all my readers for their patience and support.

--George R.R. Martin, January 4, 2004

Arrgh OK I hear so much about George R.R. Martin I've got to check him out. Can anyone please tell me what book/series to start out with?

kasuta said:
Arrgh OK I hear so much about George R.R. Martin I've got to check him out. Can anyone please tell me what book/series to start out with?

A Game of Thrones. It's the first book in A Song of Ice and Fire. :)

don't you recognize me?
rimbaudbw.gif

kasuta said:

Well, if you like fantasy settings, you could start with 'A Game of Thrones' -book 1 of 'A song of Ice and Fire.' Personally, I prefer 'Fevre Dream' which is more horror orientated, and IMHO better written without resorting to as many shock tactics to advance the plot (Oh it's also a stand-alone book unlike ASOIAF which could take some time before it's finished). The only caveat is that Fevre Dream isn't readily available in the States and Canada. Us Brits don't have to worry about that however :)

I said that I hoped to have the book done by the end of the year. Famous last words. No, it's not done, though I am getting closer. I have more than thirteen hundred pages in final draft form and another hundred or so in roughs or fragments, but there are still some chapters yet to write. I'm telling myself that I'm on the home stretch. As soon as FEAST as done, I will announce it here.

—George R.R. Martin, January 17, 2005

The latest post by him. As you see, it is already the end of March and he has yet to put up a new post. Looks like the wait is still a long one..... :(

Yes but finally Feast Of Crows was released and I for one enjoyed it even if it only showed half the POVs. Dance of Dragons is supposedly scheduled for next year release but with this guy who knows?...:confused:

I'm just over halfway through A Game of Thrones and barring anything stupid happening I will likely continue the series. The only thing that's bothered me so far is he adds complexity to his language needlessly. Not too often so that it's a real hassle but it's there nonetheless.

ions... I'm glad to see you are back. :) How've you been buddy? Anything interesting to recommend us?

GRRM has been recommended earlier dude! If you had listened to me like you did with GGK, you would have enjoyed quality fantasy sooner. :D

ds

I may finish A Game of Thrones today. I've bought A Clash of Kings so I guess I am going to continue the series. I'm hoping I hear more about the fancy area beyond the Wall and less about Lords arguing about seats.

I did indeed finish A Game of Thrones and have picked up the next book in the series, A Clash of Kings. I hesitated before I did buy the second book because I kinda felt like I had read A Game of Thrones before. Kings and Lords squabbling over iron chairs. :rolleyes: It is typical fantasy. It is done well but typical nonetheless. Considering I use the Fantasy genre as my respite from heavier works I guess there's no harm in Martin's series. The writing isn't clicheed or silly. Plus the ending did leave me curious to see where the plot goes.
Dragons hanging off boobs!?
Now that's a cliffhanger! :p ;)

Back