• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Georgian Cottage In A Village...

Marquis Rex

I've really had it with where I live right now. I'm fed up of jealous bitter people, perhaps jealous of success, scratching, vandalising my cars and throwing rubbish into my front garden.

I'm fed up of being treated rudely- when all I am is polite.

I've been putting my life on hold with the hope of emigrating to America- for the last four years but this doesn't seem to be happening.

So I've been looking at houses. Its not a great time to buy right now but I can't stand the bitter, lazy, rough and down right dangerous air around where I live now.

All I want is some peace and quiet. Not interested in being near to clubs or pubs. Ample space to work on my cars would be nice too.

Well I viewed a house on Friday and am mulling over the pros and cons

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/rm/templ...ails.vm/svr/1036?p_id=3103827&pa_n=4&tr_t=buy

On goes the search...

Marquis Rex - have you ever considered that you give out a little too much information about yourself over the internet?

Hide who you are? You've just practically given out your address. That's not 'open', it's foolish; especially considering the concerns you've raised in another thread.

I haven't moved there yet....but you have a point. But that link will become invalid soon anyway....

Anyway, now that case is much clearer and gotten to the bottom of- it's no longer threatening at all. Was someone close....

What a cute house! Ancient by US standards, tho I know y'all think it's practically new.

Freya said:
Marquis Rex - have you ever considered that you give out a little too much information about yourself over the internet?

Don't you think we all do? Where else can a person get such good therapy? And all we have to worry about is figuring out who's the serial killer and who's first for the chop.

You guys look around up here and I'll check out the cellar!

I have to agree with Billy Oblivion here, we're all pretty much open to different degrees in a forum like this.
And I don't believe in therapists, they cost alot.
Sometimes it's enough to have a sounding board. Similar in sentiments to what Ou Be Low Hoo said in the other thread but perhaps not as extreme.
I'm not going to change how I act and who I am and how open I am because of some twisted person. I needn't go into it now, but she's no threat and it was directed more at my friend then me. It's akin to a nation becoming a military dictatorship with military police patrols because of vandalism on sub way walls- all in the name of security....

If someone wanted to find out stuff about me, it would be much easier then reading posts in a book forum: I've been covered in magazines in my field, and also been interviews on automotive programmes. In other words I don't think myself self important enough or interesting enough to think I warrant someone snooping up on me...

Maya: Did you really not like the inside? Hmmm, I think it looks a bit dowdy perhaps too.....

Marquis Rex said:
Maya: Did you really not like the inside? Hmmm, I think it looks a bit dowdy perhaps too.....

No, didn't like the inside at all. It's no space in there. It's crowded with too much stuff. And the walls, blah, didn't like the colour. It's kind of dark in there. And what's up with the kitchen? That green-kinda colour doesn't fit in there. And the bathroom, have you tried standing in the bathtub? Because you might hit your head on the ceiling, you know. It kind of looks a little low, if you get what I mean.

I reckon you have your own furniture and stuff, and if you think about it, it might not blend in so well with the walls in this house, so I think you should consider painting the whole house, before moving in.

Or you can consider living in a tent out in the garden. ;)

But that's just my opinion.. :D

Billy Oblivion said:
Don't you think we all do? Where else can a person get such good therapy? And all we have to worry about is figuring out who's the serial killer and who's first for the chop.

You guys look around up here and I'll check out the cellar!

lol. I go with you!! *whisper--"do you think we can find some red wine in the cellar? "* :D

Seriously, and honestly, i liked one bed room only, picture 6, just because i liked the color of the bed sheet. and yes, the outside looked beautiful.

By the way, Goodmorning. :D

Good morning Watercrystal- I really should be doing more work now rather then thinking of cottages and far off place! *L*
Must be late where you are.....

Saw a nice place in Stratford last night, but it was Semi Detatched and and didn't have enough room.....

Marquis Rex said:
the hope of emigrating to America- for the last four years

Do you really think that is all that America has left? Based on recent events it may even be the world. :D

Marquis-boy,
I think it's charming. Probably gone to someone else already. The UK real estate market is so beastly. It is truly impossible for an American to comprehend, both the high prices and uniformity of what's typically on offer. It's really more like Japan than anywhere else I think.

My mother in law is up in bloody Lincolnshire and has neighbors now commuting practically to London.

novella said:
Marquis-boy,
I think it's charming. Probably gone to someone else already. The UK real estate market is so beastly. It is truly impossible for an American to comprehend, both the high prices and uniformity of what's typically on offer. It's really more like Japan than anywhere else I think.

My mother in law is up in bloody Lincolnshire and has neighbors now commuting practically to London.

Boy, I don't know. I just moved from the Denver, Colorado area, and prices are UNREAL! What's considered a "bungalow", which is 900 sq.ft. with a partial finished basement (that used to be a coal bunker) on a 10th acre lot sold for $120,000! We were on the fortunate end of the scale, because we bought our little place on the outskirts of a mobile home subdivision for $56,000 back in the 80's and sold for $175,000. I was almost embarrassed to write the contract!

Can UK prices be that much worse?? :confused:

Cathy

Oh yes. MUCH worse. You have no idea :D

Just a very basic apartment in London would set you about around £140,000 ( $258,581.90 )and upwards for middle class and upper class places.

Novella it was the insidious conformity I was trying to get away from - all the joined up houses and lack of space. This house is quite unique though....

Cathy C I've lived in America (Midwest) and also lived in Western canada, and know for sure that our prices are much much more expensive then almost anywhere there short of California. The asking price for this place is around $600,000. We're taxed highley over here, engineers are paid next to nothing, and we have these kinds of house prices to contend with - the reason why I've fruitlessly been trying to emigrate.

Time to make a stand here I think.

Novella It hasn't sold yet, there's a slump in the market and properties up there dont sell quickly. I'm planning to make an offer.

Back