• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Getting to know each other... (It's feezzzzzing cold in here :( )

When did you become a book-lover?

• Total voters
- How old are you and what is your gender?

28 male

- What are your hobbies (Other than reading books)?

Computer games, fishing.

(About books) :
- What kind of books do you like?

I like a lot but i read mostly Classics, sci-fi, history and science.

- Name a book that you dislike with a passion.

Naked Empire, by Goodkind.

- How many books have you read? (A round number) :

Several thousand (lost count).

My name's Mike, I'm 39 and live in Newark, Delaware in the good ol' US of A. I've been married 15 years and have 2 boys ages 13 and 7. I work for a Major Financial Institution. My hobbies besides reading are mostly spending time with my wife and kids whom I love and cherish dearly. I love Football and play Madden and NCAA on Playstation. I like to listen to music, mostly by obscure bands that nobody has ever heard of!

- Where are you from? (Country, state, city...)
The Netherlands, not from Amsterdam (It's not like any of you will know another city, right?)
27, female
dreaming, thinking (another word for 'being lazy'), playing with the beasties (have pets).

Fantasy, historical, mad minds (just the odd weird book I find, can't name an example right now).
- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside.
One of the latest: Confessions of Max Tivoli, by Sean Andrew Greer, I cried in a bus....
Anything by Danielle Steel. I don't like the colours of the covers...

I think about 500. I own about 1.000.

The Anne Frank-remark:
I felt a tiny sting too. Not because the person who said it (forgot name, sorry) is from Germany, not because I'm from Holland. But because it is a diary from a really young girl, going through a hard time, facing death in a horrible way. I don't think you should judge the book by it's writing, by it's story building. The story is amazing because it is real, it happened. I think it is a matter of distaste to name such a book as 'the book you dislike'. Of course it can be your opinion and everybody is in title to have his or hers own opinion, but I feel hurt and weird after reading that such a lifestory (and what a short life it was) can be found 'disliked'. It just doesn't feel right.

Phedre said:
The Netherlands, not from Amsterdam (It's not like any of you will know another city, right?)

I think Martin might know a few... ;)

I'm from Canada and live in the good old city of Saint John in the province of New Brunswick.
24, male
I love to play sports, mostly hockey. Playing accoustic guitar and mandolin.

Historical, Classics, Sci-Fi.

Animal Farm, George Orwell

I don't generally finish them if I dislike them. Therefore, None.

I think about 300.

Bernard said:
I'm from Canada and live in the good old city of Saint John in the province of New Brunswick.

hiya bernard,
i live in ns now, but am originally from fredericton. my husband's fam is from st. john area, grand bay-westfield.
welcome to the forum, have fun. :D
jenn

Where are you from? (Country, state, city...)
I'm from Vienna, Austria in Europe

How old are you and what is your gender?
I'm 20 years old and i'm male, but i guess my name already leads to this conclusion ;)

What are your hobbies (Other than reading books)?
Writing. I write really a lot and all different kind of stuff. Short Stories, Poetry, Essays, Novels (though i'm still working on my first one), Screenplays, Reviews about Books and Movies.
Movies. I absolutely love movies. Watching them, talking about them and of course also making movies.
Nature and Animals. I love being in nature and around animals. They both are an extremely important aspect in my life.
Although i'm already 20 years, i still like to play PS2 games or computer games, though lately i don't play that much actually.

About Books:

What kind of books do you like?
I actually like nearly all kind of books. My absolutely favorite genre is Comedy, all kind of comedies, in particular satire, black humor and gallow humor. Sci-Fi is also a genre i really love. I'm also a huge fan of the "Beat Generation", Snyder, Kerouac, Bukowski,.....
There are also many other writers whos books are extremely important to me, especially Joyce, Hesse, Dick, Adams, Orwell, Conrad and many more ;)
I guess the only genre i don't really care for are romantic cheesy love stories and i'm also not a huge fan of the Stephen King kind of Horror.
Since i'm a huge "fan" of nature and animals, i also like books who deal with these "topics", so i also read about these things, different philosophies and so on.
Hm, i guess that's it for the moment.

Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside.
I just finished "David Copperfield" and it has a nice ending. But the last thing that really touched or rather sent a lightning trough my bones, was a short story from Charles Bukowski, i recently read, i sadly don't know the original title of the story, only the german translation of it.
Another one was the last book of the "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series, the end was pretty shocking.

Name a book that you dislike with a passion.
The last book i remember that i really totally disliked was "Sabbath's Theater" by Philip Roth, which was really a total dissappointment, since i absolutely loved "Portnoy's Complaint", which i read before Sabbath.

How many books have you read? (A round number) :
Honestly i don't know, since i never made a list or counted them!!
but i guess it must be around:

* 20-50

Harry Gamblor said:
Where are you from? (Country, state, city...)
I'm from Vienna, Austria in Europe

I was just back from Vienna 2 days ago. It was snowing the whole day on Valentine's, and my wife and I had great fun trekking around the city. :) A lot of the places we went to were closed, though: Naschmarkt, Belvedere, the underground chapel in Stephensdom, etc.

Vienna is a lovely city.

ds

direstraits said:
I was just back from Vienna 2 days ago. It was snowing the whole day on Valentine's, and my wife and I had great fun trekking around the city. :) A lot of the places we went to were closed, though: Naschmarkt, Belvedere, the underground chapel in Stephensdom, etc.

Vienna is a lovely city.

ds

okay i wondered where you had been i hadn't seen you posting for sometime. hope you had a nice trip. i've never been to europe.

I'm a newbie, and thought this would be a good post to start with! :)

(Personal details) :
- Where are you from? Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA
- How old are you and what is your gender? 27 days shy of 27, Female
- What are your hobbies (Other than reading books)? music (playing & listening), cooking/baking, paper crafts, walking, gardening, surfing the Internet, traveling, learning new things

(About books) :
- What kind of books do you like? historical fiction, romance, mystery, humor, biographies

- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside. Most recently, The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. There are many more.
- Name a book that you dislike with a passion. Moby Dick by Herman Melville

At least 500, as a guess.

Hey Sweetsymphony, I was in Chatanooga a few years ago and thought the people were really nice and friendly. Know that has nothing to do with anything but hey... :) welcome to the forum!!!!

mojo said:
Hey Sweetsymphony, I was in Chatanooga a few years ago and thought the people were really nice and friendly. Know that has nothing to do with anything but hey... :) welcome to the forum!!!!

Hey, thanks! I'm glad to hear that your experience in Chattanooga was a good one. I've lived here most of my life (since I was 5) and I love it. Come on over again sometime, we'd love to have ya! ;)

sweetsymphony said:
Hey, thanks! I'm glad to hear that your experience in Chattanooga was a good one. I've lived here most of my life (since I was 5) and I love it. Come on over again sometime, we'd love to have ya! ;)

Aw, see, aren't you lovely?! Rest my case..... :)

Personal details) :
- Where are you from? Moscow, Russia
- How old are you and what is your gender? male
- What are your hobbies. I have free time only to read books. I am working other time .

(About books) :
- What kind of books do you like? Sci-fi, Classic
- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside. Master&Margarita
- Name a book that you dislike with a passion. If i don't like book, i am not reading it
- How many books have you read? I've lost count. But last year, about 25-30 in russian and 1.5 in english ;)

jenngorham said:
okay i wondered where you had been i hadn't seen you posting for sometime. hope you had a nice trip. i've never been to europe.
Yay! Thanks for noticing. :) You're very kind - I did have a nice trip. I'll post photos in another thread.

Okay:
(Personal details) :
KL, Malaysia. Great food!

28, bloke.

Whining, writing, sports, computers, music, visiting bookstores, and generally making lots of noise.

(About books) :
Fantasy! And scifi. Followed by everything else.

To Kill A Mockingbird, Harper Lee. Forced to read it in school. The first non-genre fiction I read that I actually enjoyed very much. Made me feel like I wanna be like Atticus (because he's a crackshot, not because he's a lawyer, haw haw).

Raymond E Fiest's Magician - it rubbed me in all the wrong places.

Lost count. I can't really count past 10.

ds

(Personal details) :
- Where are you from? England, Wiltshire
- How old are you and what is your gender? Very Young, Male
- What are your hobbies (Other than reading books)? Warhammer, Buying Books, Writing stories and poems, playing PC games, Online Roleplaying.

(About books) :
- What kind of books do you like? Any ( I generally stay away from romance as I do not think it would be my cup of tea.
- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside. Private Peaceful - Michael Morpurgo, Soldiers Heart - Gary Paulsen, Dogsong - Gary Paulsen, The Fire Eaters - David Almond. These books were all beautifully written and I loved them from the very beggining.
- Name a book that you dislike with a passion. Coraline - Nigel Gaiman. A steaming pile of dung that has spewed from the buttocks of a thousamnd flea ridden rats.
- How many books have you read? (A round number) : Around 50 which is alot for someone of my age. Most people I know have read about 3 books between 2002 - Now, and they all were books they had to read for their english lesson.

Phedre said:
The Anne Frank-remark:
I felt a tiny sting too. Not because the person who said it (forgot name, sorry) is from Germany, not because I'm from Holland. But because it is a diary from a really young girl, going through a hard time, facing death in a horrible way. I don't think you should judge the book by it's writing, by it's story building. The story is amazing because it is real, it happened. I think it is a matter of distaste to name such a book as 'the book you dislike'. Of course it can be your opinion and everybody is in title to have his or hers own opinion, but I feel hurt and weird after reading that such a lifestory (and what a short life it was) can be found 'disliked'. It just doesn't feel right.

oh and the person you talk about is me!!! :D no honestly, you can love it, i won't keep you from it!! most of my friends love it!! it is just my personal opinion, maybe because i know too much about this stuff, maybe because i HAD TO read it for school, but maybe just because i don't like it!! and this story is not the only one thats true, there is so much and only because some people read this book, they think they know everything. Enjoy!!
bye :D

Bernard said:
-
Animal Farm, George Orwell

oh my gosh, Animal Farm was soo good, i have to admit, that i don't like the style it's written in, but the story and the irony, and sarcasm behind the story are awsome!! :)

Back