• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Getting to know each other... (It's feezzzzzing cold in here :( )

When did you become a book-lover?

• Total voters
Rustam said:
[
- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside. Master&Margarita

hey welcome, and i heard about Master & Margarita!!
what was it about and how was it in the whole??? :)

(Personal details) :
- Where are you from?(Country, state, city...)
I live in Norway, my parents emigrated from a place in Asia.
- How old are you and what is your gender?
I'm old, 19, female.
- What are your hobbies (Other than reading books)?
Football, not playing myself, only watching. PS2. Daydreaming. Music. And... and...

(About books) :
- What kind of books do you like?
Good books!
- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside.
I feel like I haven't read enough books to answer that.
- Name a book that you dislike with a passion.
"The Smoke Jumper" written by Nicholas Evans. The worst book ever. I can't believe I read it!!!!
- How many books have you read? (A round number) :
Many, I've read since I was 5 or 6, we used to have a library not far from where we lived, so I went there almost everyday. When we moved, I stopped reading, for a strange reason, then started again when was 15 or 16. I must have read over 100 books atleast, more than that... I'm not sure, but I've read plenty.

honeydevil said:
oh my gosh, Animal Farm was soo good, i have to admit, that i don't like the style it's written in, but the story and the irony, and sarcasm behind the story are awsome!! :)

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
I hope I got it right.
I read this one 3 years ago, for an assignment in school.
I didn't like it at first, but gradually, as we reached the end, I found it to be brilliant. :D

I just realized that the poll for this thread is "When did you become a book-lover", and not "How old are you".

Oops. :) So now you know I can't read very well too.

ds

Technically, I'm not 28 until November, so I'll start reading then.

Now you know yet another thing about me: I can do predictions: in this case it's when I'll become a book-lover.

ds

(Personal details) :
- Where are you from? (Country, state, city...) Germany, way up in the north..
- How old are you and what is your gender? 17, female
- What are your hobbies (Other than reading books)? music, movies, meeting friends, traveling, languages, football (soccer) - not playing, but watching in the stadium or on tv

(About books) :
- What kind of books do you like? Pretty much everything, right now I read a lot of fantasy and contemporary fiction.
- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside. Hm.. 'The Discovery of Slowness' by Sten Nadolny got closest to that.
- Name a book that you dislike with a passion. Some children's book we had to read in school, most probably not translated to English. 'Blueprint' by Charlotte Kerner.
* More than 100 (I've lost count)

- Where are you from? Newport News, VA
- How old are you and what is your gender? 22 female
- What are your hobbies (Other than reading books)? Shopping, being w/ friends/boyfriend... its hard to have a lot of hobbies right now because I'm in school and don't have much time for anything else!

- What kind of books do you like? A large variety...
- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside. All of the ElfQuest comic books by Richard and Wendy Pini, also "Cracking India" by Bapsi Sidhwa
- Name a book that you dislike with a passion. "The Courage to Teach" by Parker J. Palmer... I'm reading it for a class right now and just can't read it fast enough!
- How many books have you read? (A round number) : probably over a hundred... started when I was six....

- Where are you from? West Midlands, England
- How old are you and what is your gender? 23 and female
- What are your hobbies (Other than reading books)? Building websites

- What kind of books do you like? If it's a book, I'll read it, but I do have a guilt passion for paranormal romance :p
- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside. Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer
- Name a book that you dislike with a passion. Alex Garland's The Beach. I really just couldn't get into it.
- How many books have you read? (A round number) :Too many to count.

To direstraits

direstraits said:
I was just back from Vienna 2 days ago. It was snowing the whole day on Valentine's, and my wife and I had great fun trekking around the city. :) A lot of the places we went to were closed, though: Naschmarkt, Belvedere, the underground chapel in Stephensdom, etc.

Vienna is a lovely city.

ds

Well it's already again snowing here :rolleyes: Everytime the snow starts melting a little bit, it starts snowing the next day again!

(Personal details) :
- Where are you from? Midwestern USA
- How old are you and what is your gender? I'm too old for you, and I'm a female
- What are your hobbies (Other than reading books)? Is there anything else? :D

(About books) :
- What kind of books do you like? Mysteries, fiction, biographies, history
- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside. "Bless the Beasts and Children" by Glendon Swarthout
- Name a book that you dislike with a passion. Anything by George Eliot or Charles Dickens. Eliot is too depressing and Dickens is too depressing AND too long.
- How many books have you read? (A round number) : Gee, I don't know. I once kept a record of what books I read and it was something like 500 in one year, so by now, that would be what, a million? :cool:

So - let's get to know each other better:

(Personal details) :

- Where are you from? (Country, state, city...)

I was born, raised, and still live in Henderson, Nevada, United States of America. Ever heard of Las Vegas? I'm 15 minutes away from it.

- How old are you and what is your gender?

I'm 19 at the moment.. 20 in about 16 days.. and I'm a male.

- What are your hobbies (Other than reading books)?

Playing trivia games, learning about different things, roleplaying, being on the Web, watching my L&O shows.. yes, I know I have no life. :p

(About books) :

I like just about anything and everything. Historical fiction/alternative history and fantasy are my favorite genres, however.

- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside.

Erm.. can't really think of any at the moment. Will get back to you on that one.

- Name a book that you dislike with a passion.

Can't say that I've ever read a book that I've disliked. I'm the sort of person that if the book doesn't catch me within the first hundred pages.. it's goodbye time.

* More than 100 (I've lost count) - :eek: Waaay more than a hundred. XD :eek:

I'm so excited, my first post!
(Personal details) :
- Where are you from? Born in Pakistan, raised in Pennsylvania, currently in Philly.
- How old are you and what is your gender? 15 and Female
- What are your hobbies? I love to sew, embroider, watch movies, surf the web, and have fun

(About books) :
- What kind of books do you like? I like just about everything, right now I'm in a Classics phase.
- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside. hmm...
- Name a book that you dislike with a passion. Longitude, I couldn't even get through it.
More than I can remember. :D

Geenh said:
As far as how many books read... sheesh. Thousands and thousands! I have over 1000 books in my personal library.

There aren't many Australians on here are there?

I've noticed that too, and I found it kind of odd. I must say I usually read your posts, Geenh. Some kind of nationalistic favouritism or something! Plus you've usually got something good to say :D .

And I might as well fill out the survey (which seems to have changed and evolved a little over this thread)... I also added a 'Genres I don't like' category, because I pretty much read everything else:

--------------------------------------------------
Age/Gender : Mid-twenties and Female.
Hobbies : Music, movies, hanging out with friends, kung fu, aspiring to get to the gym (figured I'd be honest), learning french, photography and, of course, reading. If I could get my hands on a hockey stick (field hockey, not ice) I'd be a complete and contented camper.

Books I like : A wide range. Contemporary fiction, short stories, fantasy, detective/mystery novels (although not when I'm alone at night - brr!), and I'm starting to read a lot more classics - Dickens, Jane Austin, etc. Which is weird for me!

Genres I don't like: I hate horror because it makes me uncomfortable, and I'm not a big fan of romance novels. Romance has a place in some stories, but not to the extent that I'm willing to compromise good quality writing and a decent plot.

A book that has touched me inside : Robert James Waller's 'Old Songs in a New Cafe' collection of short stories. It made me think about what's really important in life. His story 'Roadcat' made me cry like a baby. And I *never* cry when I read books, usually.

A book that I dislike with passion : Sons and Lovers by D. H. Lawrence. Uurgh! And it wasn't just because I *had* to read it for a literature class. No redeemable qualities to any of the characters, which meant I didn't give a damn about them.

Number of books I have read : How long is a ball of string?

The extra fields:

Person who has influenced me a lot when it come to reading books : My mum, a librarian and a voracious reader... but not of fiction, which is my passion.

One book that I want to read, but just cant : There is a book that I want to read, but I can't because I know some of the contributers and we're no longer on good terms. The falling out has nothing to do with the book or the writing of the book, although it was written while we were embroiled in a crappy crappy end to a really great friendship. Their names are in the forward and for this reason I simply can't pick up the book, as I just get angry. I fear I will judge the book based on these people rather than the quality of the book and the talent of the principle writer. Big skeleton in the closet, huh?

One thing I hate about myself when it comes to books : There's nothing I hate about myself. Contrary to the last comment (which seems very dark, now that I read back over it), I'm a happy shiny person :D

(Personal details) :
My name is Tara, I'm 19 and from a small town in southern Illinois. In my free time (I have a lot of homework) I enjoy spending time with my boyfriend Nathan, driving around town, playing tennis and golf, going to the movies and concerts, and I guess just being your average teenage girl. :)

(About books) :
I love reading horror, mystery, true crime, anything with your typical murder, investigation, and ending. I'm pretty simple to please! But in reality, I will read just about anything, but I'm not too fond of romance books, I just can't get into them for some reason. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate that stinking Lord of the Flies that you just have to read in high school. I don't understand why they still feel the need to teach it, but at least I got it over with and I can say that I experienced it! However, there are very many that I felt were very important. I would say that the one book that touched me the most was The Diary of Anne Frank, for obvious reasons. Anyone who has read that book should understand where I'm coming from. I can't tell you how many books I've read, but I would probably say that it's over 100.

(Personal details) :
- Where are you from? I live in Turners Falls MA (USA) I am from a town about 125 miles from here, Swansea MA (USA).
- How old are you and what is your gender? I'll be 25 in less than a month and I'm female.
- What are your hobbies (Other than reading books)? Watching movies, jogging (or trying to anyway), baking, gardening (I'm horrid, but I do try)

(About books) :
- What kind of books do you like? Most anything.
- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside. House on the Lagoon by Rosario Ferre
- Name a book that you dislike with a passion. Animal Husbandry by Laura Zigman (or something like that)

* Less than 10 books
* 10-20
* 20-50
* 50-100
* More than 100 (I've lost count)

HAHAHA. I've probably read close to 100 in the past year.

(Personal details) :
- Where are you from?
Texas, USA
- How old are you and what is your gender? I'm 26/F
- What are your hobbies (Other than reading books)? I draw and paint, write, sing, compose, play piano, make jewelry, cross-stitch, and game a bit.

(About books) :
Anything with a good set of characters. If the story's got weak characters or the author never does enough to help me get attached to them, I never care for the story as much. I like all genres of fiction - mystery, thriller, sci-fi, fantasy, romance, historical, chick lit, drama, etc.
- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside. That moved me? Hmmm...probably Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. It had such an amazing theme and story to it. The Life of Pi was wonderful too - especially the last chapter of it. Wow!
- Name a book that you dislike with a passion. I can't say there are many I dislike with a passion. Usually, if it's bad enough I simply won't finish it. I do remember disliking Gulliver's Travels in high school. That was so boring and I HAD to finish it for the test!
- How many books have you read? (A round number) : Oh gosh...WAY more than 100.

Hi :)

Where are you from? (Country, state, city...)

I am from Devon in England (the countryside) but I grew up for 10 years in a town called Hay-on-Wye (Y Gelli) on the Welsh border ... it's actually quite famous for its bookshops and the bookfair held in the castle

How old are you and what is your gender?

I am only 17 and I am a girl

What are your hobbies (Other than reading books)?

Hmm arty stuff like painting, history of art (I love Vermeer), textiles, fashion, etymology, food (eating not cooking), writing (journals and storys), names, mythology, French culture etc

What kind of books do you like?

I like kinda serious but strange books like DH Lawrence, Vladimir Nabokov and Marcel Proust and on the other end of the spectrum Lewis Carroll, Lemony Snicket and Phillip Pullman. I like books with unlikable characters, strange names and not too much explaining

Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside.

All books really (except the below), all books make me cry (shh! :rolleyes: )
I suppose the Ian Strachan books started me off ... Throwaways, The Flawed Glass, Journey of 1000 Miles etc

Name a book that you dislike with a passion.

Danielle Steel! actually most chick lit ... beautiful woeful women, handsome men ... you just know everything is going to turn out hunky dorey

How many books have you read?

Well over 500 :) Lost count ...

Alice

(Personal details) :
- Where are you from? (Country, state, city...) - Manila,Phils.,
- How old are you? Too old to remember :confused: and what is your gender? the last time I checked,I'm a female.
- What are your hobbies (Other than reading books)?Crosstitching,internet,fishing (if weather permits)

(About books) :
- What kind of books do you like? Science Fiction, Documentary,Self-Help
- Name a book that moved you, that touched you inside.Chicken Soup For the woman's Soul
- Name a book that you dislike with a passion. The Lord Of the Righs (for some reason,I don't understand it)
- How many books have you read? (A round number) : (I've lost count)

Back