• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Gmail

Do you use hushmail? I've never actually heard of it. :confused:

I'm so addicted to free email services. I'm not sure why either, because I own two domains and don't need them.

What's wrong with me!?

Thea said:
Do you use hushmail? I've never actually heard of it. :confused:
I don't personally. But it does make a mockery of all the little programs people have running to try and monitor people's emails. Anyone who really does have something dodgy to send will be so well encrypted that the only people able to read it will be the intended recipients.

If you are worried about privacy then it's worth getting an account with them.

Well, you could get your own server/domain and have as much storage as you need without anyone else prying into it :)

Webmail based email is quite handy if you travel a lot and need to access your mail from different PCs. It also doesn't matter which ISP and you can keep your email address if you decide to change.

I can't image Google keeping everyone's email even when they delete it, but they do have something like 58000 servers around the world so they've got the network capabilities.

I've tried GMail and it's a pretty good system. The threaded conversation mode for messages is a nice feature, and I'm sure the other email providers will develop something similar.

Just to agree with Martin et al that gmail seems pretty good. I am phasing down my hotmail as I am getting far too much spam (my fault for posting my hotmail address on various message boards over the years) and it is very very slow now (their fault), with some recent messages taking two days to arrive, from hotmail to hotmail!

Oh and you can now automatically forward to another email account:

1. Click 'Settings' at the top of any Gmail page.
2. Click 'Forwarding' along the top of the orange 'Mail Settings' box.
3. Enter the email address to which you would like your messages forwarded.
4. Select the action you would like your messages to take within Gmail from the drop-down menu. You can choose to keep Gmail's copy of the message in your inbox, or you can automatically send it to 'All Mail' or 'Trash.'
5. Click 'Save Changes.'

Gmail's low graphics interface makes it very quick to refresh. My one criticism is that the Gmail notifier makes you log in every time you start up, unlike MSN messenger etc.

Back