• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Gmail

Holy mother of God! Forget Gmail - now there is youvegotpost.com, which is offering 1 TB of storage (1 TB = 1 Terabyte = 1000 Gigabyte).

One thousand times as much as Gmail!

Cheers

This is all very good 1gig and and one terabyte of email storage BUT should you not focus on features, speed and quality of service????? I mean, REALLY, are you EVER going to use 1gig of email storage???? What the hell do you want one gig for? Willl you ever use one gig???? There are bandwith restrictions anyway so it's not like you can send a huge file there anyway and even if you could, it would take forever and EVEN if you could there are other ways to send it ( pager or p2p software ).

I mean, that real use is having 1gig of email storage? :)

I just took a look at the link I gave you two posts ago, and it looks like shit. Don't do it.

Anyway, Wabbit, I'll admit that 1 Gig is a bit overboard, but my hotmail account has been full on more than one occasion, resulting in people not being able to contact me. This will not happen with Gmail - you gotta look at it from both sides; I'll never have 1 Gig of email lying around, but I'll never have a full inbox either.

Plus, you can send 10MB attachments, which is an awful lot better than the 1MB attachments Hotmail allows. Sure, you can use P2P, if you want to get a virus or two.

And believe me, Gmail is fast and has a very friendly user interface.

And no, I'm not a shareholder.

Cheers

you WISH you were a shareholder! :D

Anyway, I see what you are saying there, but 1gig is really over the top. I would concentrate on what features it offers you. I like yahoo so will stick with that one.

Yahoo offers 10megs and that's more than enough! With my main email ISP email address that I give out to friends, I have 100 gigs of email storage ;)

should you not focus on features, speed and quality of service?????

I'm very satisfied with Gmail so far. It's very fast and refreshes automatically, so I can keep the window open and it's like having Outlook Express or Thunderbird in a browser. Very convenient.

Wabbit, sure, do what you want, I'm not selling anything here. I'm just giving my opinion on a new email-provider out there.

And Thea, you're absolutely right. And it has this nifty feature, that it strings the email-messages together like a thread, or a conversation. Tres cool!

Cheers

I know, i'm not saying that Gmail is rubbish! In fact, im sure it's great! I just am saying that as a feature, i would not get excited over it having one gig of storage. All that is is market hype it has no real use at all for the user. There are plenty email providers out there that offer a decent size inbox for free. Nobody needs one meg and let alone one gig :)

Yeah, I just noticed that feature earlier today when I was receiving replies from here, with all the older replies included. I was pretty confused for a few minutes. :p

SillyWabbit said:
Nobody needs one meg and let alone one gig :)

Well, I don't know about you, but I tend to babble on endlessly in my emails, and I keep all of the ones I send and receive, so it's nice to have all that storage space. Also, it's useful for novelists who want to email their entire manuscripts to friends or potential publishers.

Another neat thing about Gmail is the search function. I'm just in love with the whole thing right now.

Well, Wabbit, it is a useful feature for me. Especially the 10MB attachments; very handy for backing things up, and saving large files online. Plus, because this is a rather new provider, you (I) get to pick a username you like, without having to resort to numbers or stuff like that.

Thea, have you had some correspondence through Gmail with someone else. You should, because then you'll see the advantage of that thread-feature.

Cheers

Thea said:
Well, I don't know about you, but I tend to babble on endlessly in my emails, and I keep all of the ones I send and receive, so it's nice to have all that storage space. Also, it's useful for novelists who want to email their entire manuscripts to friends or potential publishers.

Another neat thing about Gmail is the search function. I'm just in love with the whole thing right now.

Don't matter HOW much you talk. You could never, even in your lifetime, use one gig!

It would be very difficult and can you really send 10meg at a time? And how long would it take to send? And now many could you send??? what are you sending each time that is 10 megs?????

It would be very difficult and can you really send 10meg at a time?
Yes, attachments can be up to 10MB.

And how long would it take to send?
Depends on your connection - for me, about 3 minutes, maybe less.

And now many could you send?
Depends on the person you're sending it to - you can't send 10MB attachments to hotmail accounts, Yahoo accounts, they wouldn't accept it. But you can send as many as you want to another Gmail account, or, if you want to back something up, you can send it to yourself.

what are you sending each time that is 10 megs?
Whatever you want. Textfiles, music, programs.

Cheers

Well, someone sure is feisty this afternoon!

Some people find the extra space useful. It's obvious that you don't.

And that's that.

The whole point in offering so much space is that they know very few people will actually use it. I doubt they have the capacity to store that much mail if everyone decided to take them up on the offer. There will be people that do use that much space, but a lot of them will probably get kicked out for some infraction of the rules as they simply won't be cost effective.

I have enough private email accounts that I just don't need the space, but if I was reliant on free webmail then I could see the appeal. But I still wouldn't use Gmail with all its dodgy implications. I send too many emails out to terrorist organisations. These new chaps I've never heard of so I can't comment on their motives.

And a 10MB limit, in practical terms will work out as about a 5-7MB attachment size prior to sending. Attachments are encoded and that can bulk them out an awful lot. So if I were you and it was an important attachment, I'd test first to see how much you can actually send.

You'd be wanting Hushmail for that. But I'm not sure how big their attachment size is. You might not be able to send all the plans for your secret base at the same time.

Back