• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

golden compass

musiqueperson

hello all...
was wondering if it is true that emails encouraging people to boycott "the golden compass" are going around... i think some people feel that it promotes atheism...

i personally thought the trilogy was great although the themes in it were a bit too difficult for children to grasp but i would think it does teach good values e.g. courage, selflessness, love, tolerance and so on...

hmm... :confused:

hello all...
was wondering if it is true that emails encouraging people to boycott "the golden compass" are going around... i think some people feel that it promotes atheism...

Wow! Now I am in! After Narnia that promoted Christianity I need to balance with a bit of atheism.

I saw the trailer, and it was very annoying. At some point it went like:"From creators of the Lord of the Rings...." - so obviously I was interested on what's will follow. And what followed was this "golden compass" - Ha! Not the same scale even!

i personally thought the trilogy was great although the themes in it were a bit too difficult for children to grasp but i would think it does teach good values e.g. courage, selflessness, love, tolerance and so on...

hmm... :confused:

I did not read any of the Golden Compass books. Is it really so good?

I read all three about a year or two ago and when I finished them I just sat there in my History class and just thought about a lot of things. It was the greatest feeling I have ever felt. It felt like new doors were opened to me and old questions were answered. The funny part was when all that thinking was over I said to myself "This would make a great movie." I'm so excited for this movie. I hope it doesn't let me down the way Eragon did.

Don't listen to all this boycotting crap. The news is just looking for something new to talk about for the sake of ratings. To tell you the truth if I had kids I would WANT them to read these books just because of what they did for me.

I guess I am being wilfully obtuse, but how can a book so full of angels be promoting atheism?

When I read the books, I did not pause to think about stuff like religion or God or atheism - it was just an amazingly absorbing yarn, really well told, chock-a-block with ideas. It certainly struck me as over the head of your average child, but then, why not?.

Incidentially, reading Narnia was very much the same experience for me: I did not think Religion at all until after finishing the story, it was just too riveting.

Of course, it might be argued that this is the most insidious way to penetrate a naive and open mind: tell them an irresistible story with a strong ideological undercurrent. Oh well. I shall have to live with having been brainwashed by Mr Lewis's Christianity and Mr Pullman's atheism.

Does anybody know whether Mr Pullman really is an atheist? I am just asking.

(Mr Lewis's Christianity is not in doubt, last I heard).

I guess I am being wilfully obtuse, but how can a book so full of angels be promoting atheism?

When I read the books, I did not pause to think about stuff like religion or God or atheism - it was just an amazingly absorbing yarn, really well told, chock-a-block with ideas. It certainly struck me as over the head of your average child, but then, why not?.

Incidentially, reading Narnia was very much the same experience for me: I did not think Religion at all until after finishing the story, it was just too riveting.

Of course, it might be argued that this is the most insidious way to penetrate a naive and open mind: tell them an irresistible story with a strong ideological undercurrent. Oh well. I shall have to live with having been brainwashed by Mr Lewis's Christianity and Mr Pullman's atheism.

Does anybody know whether Mr Pullman really is an atheist? I am just asking.

(Mr Lewis's Christianity is not in doubt, last I heard).

Yes, from what I've heard Pullman is an outspoken atheist and intended the trilogy to reflect what he believes.

Beliefnet.com has an excellent write-up on the whole controversy. I don't care if a movie is christian or atheist in content or leanings, I just care if it's an entertaining and interesting story. My kids did enjoy Narnia, will find out if they like this one too.

Noah took two arch angles into his arch. They were complimentary angles.

a rainbow arched over the arch when it found a place to park.

God makes rainbows with a golden compass,
or the sun can be called a shining tool for navigation that creates rainbows,
Students make archs and angles by compass
so archs and rainbows are products proper to two similar factors, wanting other factors

Beliefnet.com has an excellent write-up on the whole controversy. I don't care if a movie is christian or atheist in content or leanings, I just care if it's an entertaining and interesting story. My kids did enjoy Narnia, will find out if they like this one too.

You don't care if it's an atheist movie? That's like not caring where the wardrobe leads in Lion Witch &Wardrobe.

The Golden Compass remains one of my all-time favorite books. It has in it everything one could wish in adventure, characters and interaction; and it is not a children's, but a young adult book - in my library, anyway. My opinion of the author is consequently very high.

In his own words.

He seems a reasonable man, and I certainly will do everything in my power to go see that film. Are we supposed to reject all atheists in everything they do? That seems rather unreasonable.

You don't care if it's an atheist movie? That's like not caring where the wardrobe leads in Lion Witch &Wardrobe.

:rolleyes:

Comparing mainline plot sequence with a given theme is like comparing apples to oranges.

Comparing mainline plot sequence with a given theme is like comparing apples to oranges.

I'm not sure what a mainline plot sequence intends, but can't a theme be expressed by a plot? Then don't such expressions within the plot allow comparison with plainly expressed themes?

what I said was sound, I think, that a movie watched and the wardrobe entered both could result in a new disposition for the subject. That's all I was saying. If that can be agreed upon, a comparison has been made to satisfaction.

I've never understood what's invalid about comparing fruit with fruit.

I think it's really more like comparing hair with fish fingers.

Sorry, I only am accepting legitimate "Boycott Golden Compass" emails from legitimate closed-minded, bible-thumping types.

If you are indeed a closed-minded, bible-thumping type don't bother sending an email as I will be busy in my mission to destroy Christianity worldwide by re-reading His Dark Materials, reading the HP series, and other un-Christian, soon-to-be-banned/burned books.

I will also start a campaign to encourage children to name their teddy bears "Jesus".

Back