• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

GONE GIRL!!!!

I haven't seen the film jennybug. Its on my "to watch" list though. I'll let you know what I think (if your bothered) :'p

I haven't seen the film jennybug. Its on my "to watch" list though. I'll let you know what I think (if your bothered) :'p
How did you feel about the ending?

Don't waste your time on watching the movie, watch interstellar instead, now that was a phenomenal movie haha

How did you feel about the ending?

Don't waste your time on watching the movie, watch interstellar instead, now that was a phenomenal movie haha

I liked it. Saw it coming to an extent, but as a whole it all worked well with the book I thought.
Interstellar ? Ok I will watch that this week if i can. Your in trouble if its rubbish!!! Lol

I liked it. Saw it coming to an extent, but as a whole it all worked well with the book I thought.
Interstellar ? Ok I will watch that this week if i can. Your in trouble if its rubbish!!! Lol
I agree, and you won't be disappointed. ;)

Hey guys! I saw GONE GIRL the second day after its general release.
I've underlined my reasons in bold to pan the film version....anyone else have these problems?

stars-2-0._V192240756_.gif
Hollywood dirties up GONE GIRL the film with graphic scenes and lurid language..., October 7, 2014
By janebbooks

Gillian Flynn's novel, "Gone Girl" was published by Random House's Crown Publishing Company in June 2012. It was her third novel and sold more than two million copies in print and digital format in its first year of publication. On Amazon US pages, "Gone Girl" is still #63 in books purchased and #27 in mystery and thrillers. Nearly 25,000 customers wrote book reviews.

On October 3, 2014, "Gone Girl," an American mystery thriller film based on the novel, was released: Gillian Flynn wrote the screenplay and David Fincher directed. The film starts without a backstory: On the occasion of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck, "Argo") reports that his beautiful wife, Amy (Rosamund Pike, "Reacher"), has gone missing. Under pressure from the police and a growing media frenzy, Nick's portrait of a blissful union begins to crumble. Soon his lies, deceits and strange behavior have everyone asking the same dark question: Did Nick Dunne kill his wife?

Although the film starts with a disappearance, it soon erupts into a stream of unreliable innuendo, bloody violence, explicit sex, and foul language when the two main characters alternately recall prior events. Even the nice touch of Amy's treasure hunt that propels the suspense is lost in the fray.

The novel Gone Girl was #1 on the New York Times Hardcover Fiction Bestseller list for eight weeks and stayed on the list for nearly a year. We quickly learn that Nick and Amy meet at a cocktail party in New York City. Nick is a small town Missouri fellow who moved to the Big Apple to write for a city magazine. Amy is the darling daughter of parents who tell her story as `Amazing Amy' in a series of successful children's books; she currently writes quizzes for women's magazines. Their immediate attraction to each other amid witty repartee soon leads to marriage.

Their early marital bliss is disrupted when they both lose their jobs. Nick and Amy move to a small town in Missouri, when his mother is diagnosed with cancer. Using her trust fund from the children's books, Amy complains about the move but rents one of those empty "McMansions" in middle America as a home and buys a bar for Nick and his twin sister. By the time of the their fifth anniversary, the marriage has disintegrated.

Both the film and the novel have been described as a "he said, she said" story much in the manner of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe," one of Flynn's favorite plays. But reality television with its aggressive media in the manner of one Nancy Grace-like reporter makes the Dunne marriage a media circus in the film. And I suppose Flynn was not aware of the eventual lurid visual and auditory aspects of her story when she wrote the screenplay. Although she is renowned for writing her female characters as villains not victims, I read her novels as dark but clever figments of a pretty Chicago housewife's imagination.

By the way, when I saw "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe" in early film release, most of the theater audience stood and cheered when George finally stood up to his bickering wife. I only heard a nervous female giggle at some of the more graphic scenes from the audience of "Gone Girl". And they exited the theater quietly looking rather confused.

Hey guys! I saw GONE GIRL the second day after its general release.
I've underlined my reasons in bold to pan the film version....anyone else have these problems?

stars-2-0._V192240756_.gif
Hollywood dirties up GONE GIRL the film with graphic scenes and lurid language..., October 7, 2014
By janebbooks

Gillian Flynn's novel, "Gone Girl" was published by Random House's Crown Publishing Company in June 2012. It was her third novel and sold more than two million copies in print and digital format in its first year of publication. On Amazon US pages, "Gone Girl" is still #63 in books purchased and #27 in mystery and thrillers. Nearly 25,000 customers wrote book reviews.

On October 3, 2014, "Gone Girl," an American mystery thriller film based on the novel, was released: Gillian Flynn wrote the screenplay and David Fincher directed. The film starts without a backstory: On the occasion of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck, "Argo") reports that his beautiful wife, Amy (Rosamund Pike, "Reacher"), has gone missing. Under pressure from the police and a growing media frenzy, Nick's portrait of a blissful union begins to crumble. Soon his lies, deceits and strange behavior have everyone asking the same dark question: Did Nick Dunne kill his wife?

Although the film starts with a disappearance, it soon erupts into a stream of unreliable innuendo, bloody violence, explicit sex, and foul language when the two main characters alternately recall prior events. Even the nice touch of Amy's treasure hunt that propels the suspense is lost in the fray.

The novel Gone Girl was #1 on the New York Times Hardcover Fiction Bestseller list for eight weeks and stayed on the list for nearly a year. We quickly learn that Nick and Amy meet at a cocktail party in New York City. Nick is a small town Missouri fellow who moved to the Big Apple to write for a city magazine. Amy is the darling daughter of parents who tell her story as `Amazing Amy' in a series of successful children's books; she currently writes quizzes for women's magazines. Their immediate attraction to each other amid witty repartee soon leads to marriage.

Their early marital bliss is disrupted when they both lose their jobs. Nick and Amy move to a small town in Missouri, when his mother is diagnosed with cancer. Using her trust fund from the children's books, Amy complains about the move but rents one of those empty "McMansions" in middle America as a home and buys a bar for Nick and his twin sister. By the time of the their fifth anniversary, the marriage has disintegrated.

Both the film and the novel have been described as a "he said, she said" story much in the manner of "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe," one of Flynn's favorite plays. But reality television with its aggressive media in the manner of one Nancy Grace-like reporter makes the Dunne marriage a media circus in the film. And I suppose Flynn was not aware of the eventual lurid visual and auditory aspects of her story when she wrote the screenplay. Although she is renowned for writing her female characters as villains not victims, I read her novels as dark but clever figments of a pretty Chicago housewife's imagination.

By the way, when I saw "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe" in early film release, most of the theater audience stood and cheered when George finally stood up to his bickering wife. I only heard a nervous female giggle at some of the more graphic scenes from the audience of "Gone Girl". And they exited the theater quietly looking rather confused.
I think Hollywood down played the book.. I feel the book was graphic, more vulgarity, crude content. The movie lacked in so many areas, conversations, key points, they made almost a three hour movie out of icing.

I havent seen the film Janebbooks as im sure you realise, and although im not entirely against explicit sex and violence i can see how it could belittle or cheapen a storyline.
As for "the film starts without a backstory" im not sure i understand. If i remember correctly the book starts with husband describing the back of his wifes head, how he would recognise her anywhere, is this how the film starts? or am i going off on a tangent (and if that isnt how the book starts and ive got it completely and embarrasingly wrong, apologies)
Anyway, now you two have completely "trashed" this film (for want of a better word) im going to simply have to see it now!!!! :p

I think Hollywood down played the book.. I feel the book was graphic, more vulgarity, crude content. The movie lacked in so many areas, conversations, key points, they made almost a three hour movie out of icing.

Isnt that the case in so many books turned film. Im sat here trying to think of an example where a film turned out to be as good as the book Jennybug, but the only one i can think of that came close is One flew over the cuckoos nest, and even then it only came close, wasnt as good as in my humble opinion.

Isnt that the case in so many books turned film. Im sat here trying to think of an example where a film turned out to be as good as the book Jennybug, but the only one i can think of that came close is One flew over the cuckoos nest, and even then it only came close, wasnt as good as in my humble opinion.
Another would be girl with a dragon tattoo,I believe they did an outstanding job, keeping to story, keeping the details, left some situations out of the movie that would have been irrelevant for the viewers. (Was irrelevant in the book,I felt). I tried to give one flew over the cuckoo's nest a try when I was seeking for my next book, and I saw it was from the native guys perspective and for some reason I was turned off by it. The movie was great and in the end you find out it was the native guys story all along. I will have to give it another chance..

I forgot about that! Your so right, Girl with a dragon tattoo was an awesome film! The lad i work with, who NEVER reads books, went out and bought the trilogy after watching GWADT. Thanks for that!!

I forgot about that! Your so right, Girl with a dragon tattoo was an awesome film! The lad i work with, who NEVER reads books, went out and bought the trilogy after watching GWADT. Thanks for that!!

WARNING 3AM RAMBLING:

the girl with the Dragon tattoo, I saw the movie first, than I went to read the book. Mind was blown; Was like watching the movie again. I did appreciate what they did with the American version however the Swedish versions was good, followed the book very well, but I felt low quality, they were all produced in the same year. Both American and Swedish version had there moments which depicted the books story and some moments were also lacking. But over all both theatrical elements fitted the book very well, or came very close to capturing the books story line..

I agree with "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (The Swedish version is Technically more accurate to the book in parts, but it lack much of the flavour and character charm that the U.S. version has" I felt the characters were stunning and captured the emotion, raw, real characters that the book portrayed. The Swedish to me, felt a little rushed, and pressed for time. I could be wrong, it's been a fair while.

another movie that followed the book; (but the 1987 film lacked many) was flowers in the attic. Given the time; I'm sure no one wanted to see that on screen and I'm sure it was taboo back in the 70s and still is. The lifetime version captured the book. The lifetime movie is what implored me to read the book, switched on the 1987 film on Netflix after I finished and was disappointed on how bad they deviated from the story.

Well if that was a 3am rambling im impressed. Mine would have been a series of incoherent mumblings.

I read Dark Places and Sharp Objects by Gillian, a few months back. I thought both were EXCELLENT. Gone Girl is sitting on the shelf waiting it's turn - can't wait!!!

As a Brit I love reading stuff by Gillian, not just for the excellent stories, but for what I see as a window into Mid West American life.

i was actually quiet impressed by the plot of the movie but youre right the actors were meh, so the book is worth reading then...
will def give it a shot :D

Back