• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

good action/adventure

Hmmm, Matthew Reilly comes to mind, when I think of action/adventure. Not necessarily good action/adventure, but action/adventure nonetheless. Just be prepared for lots of short, basic sentences, all ending with exclamation points!!!!! :rolleyes:

Hmmm, Matthew Reilly comes to mind, when I think of action/adventure. Not necessarily good action/adventure, but action/adventure nonetheless. Just be prepared for lots of short, basic sentences, all ending with exclamation points!!!!! :rolleyes:

Same, his books aren't necessary deep, per se. But they are all exciting page turners

Everything I've read from James Rollins is good.
Early Clive Cussler.
Rafael Sabatini The Sea-Hawk, Captain Blood, The Black Swan

How do you feel about Westerns?

I like Clive Cussler also. The Chase and Sahara are the only books I've read read so far, but I have a friend that has every Cussler book. He can't get enough. Tolkien is also a personal favourite.

I tried one Cussler book, but couldn't get into it. I can't even remember what it was called, but it was something to do with the sea. :confused: The main reason I didn't like it, was that it was the middle book in a 'series' all featuring the same characters, who were very well established at that point. I had no idea who they were, so I found it very hard to stay interested.

from what I understand cussler only writes a small fraction of the novels under his name. In my humble opinion some of the other authors have not managed the ability to keep the reader focused and the book liniar.

There used to be Tom Clancey, but from what I understand at this point he is not writting anymore, the books are published by others.

My vote has always gone to the Mack Bolan saga of books.

There used to be Tom Clancey, but from what I understand at this point he is not writting anymore, the books are published by others.

Sure but that's no reason to not read his early works. Hunt for Red October is great and so is The Cardinal of the Kremlin. Red Storm Rising is pretty much non-stop action.

I tried one Cussler book, but couldn't get into it. I can't even remember what it was called, but it was something to do with the sea. :confused: The main reason I didn't like it, was that it was the middle book in a 'series' all featuring the same characters, who were very well established at that point. I had no idea who they were, so I found it very hard to stay interested.

Except for his latest work, all of Cusslers works involve the sea. His main characters in two of three series are with NUMA, and the third (which I don't care for) involves a company of mercenaries that work off a ship. His early works are much better then the later stuff which he typically co-writes with another author.

Sure but that's no reason to not read his early works. Hunt for Red October is great and so is The Cardinal of the Kremlin. Red Storm Rising is pretty much non-stop action.

Red Storm Rising is my favorite. Don't forget Without Remorse.

I loved The Hunt for Red October. It's the only Clancy book I've read. I'm not sure about all the technical stuff, but if it's not true, Clancy fooled me.

I loved The Hunt for Red October. It's the only Clancy book I've read. I'm not sure about all the technical stuff, but if it's not true, Clancy fooled me.

I don't know about the caterpillar drive, but everything else was spot on. Did I mention that I'm retired navy? Anyway, The Hunt for Red October made him very popular in the naval community, especially the sub community.

Everything was so spot-on about Hunt for Red October that after it was published, the CIA had him debriefed.

CIA: How did you know about X?

Tom Clancy: Well, in Jane's it says A, and here it says B, and in this Time article it said C so it only makes sense that X.

CIA: ...

Wilbur Smith (20th C. African adventures)
Alistair MacLean (WWII; Cold War; rescue missions)
David Morrell (Spies; disaffected Vietnam vets trying to stay out the way of hothead, small-town, rural sheriffs not being able to do so and consequently reaking much havok)

Back