• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Good bed time books

I just read The Old Woman Who Lived in a Vinegar Bottle by Margaret Read MacDonald. This one was a huge success, with one of the kids choosing to use it for her reading aloud practice after I'd read it to everyone. The youngest boy even stuck around to listen to it again, and had to add his observations of what would happen to the old woman if she kept complaining...:)

I love to read to my 3 year old before bedtime but the repetition of some books is driving me nuts. I never thought I'd ever want to destroy a book before. :eek:

He's been stuck on this horrible Golden Book version of Peter Cottontail (the one with the bad Irontail bunny) that he got from his grandmother for Easter. It's so poorly written I have a hard time reading it out loud. I've actually "dropped" it behind his bedside table a couple of times when he wasn't looking. :D

The good thing is that he likes the Beatrix Potter stories and any of the Dr. Seuss books. I don't mind reading those over and over again.

I love to read to my 3 year old before bedtime but the repetition of some books is driving me nuts. I never thought I'd ever want to destroy a book before. :eek:

He's been stuck on this horrible Golden Book version of Peter Cottontail (the one with the bad Irontail bunny) that he got from his grandmother for Easter. It's so poorly written I have a hard time reading it out loud. I've actually "dropped" it behind his bedside table a couple of times when he wasn't looking. :D

The good thing is that he likes the Beatrix Potter stories and any of the Dr. Seuss books. I don't mind reading those over and over again.

I've done that! Some books need to go on 'vacation' for awhile:p It might be a good move to shop for a different version of good old Peter Rabbit..so you can show your son the neat artwork..
Some books were read so many times, I can almost recite them without peeking( Is Your Mamma a Llama?) I totally understand your reluctance to read a poorly written story. I put my foot down on several popular series, such as Junie B. Jones and The Magic Treehouse..I expect shorter, choppier sentence structure for younger readers, but I can't stand incomplete sentences and glaring grammarical errors. In the case of Junie B. Jones, they are intended to portray how an average 6 year old might talk, but I'm trying to teach just the opposite here, and I don't appreciate these books thwarting my efforts and reinforcing bad habits.Grr!

Back