• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Good books about the history of Rome.

diogyn

Good books about the history of the Roman Empire.

Anyone know any good books regarding the rise and fall of the Roman Empire?

Are you looking for non-fiction or fiction?

For fiction: Alice Borchardt's wolf series. Rome plays an important background. It's fantasy, tho.

Some people like Colleen McCullough's work in this area. (Fiction as well) I was never able to get into it.

Non-fiction is hard, I don't know if there's a good general work. The textbook I was assigned in my History of Rome class was basically unreadable. Probably should start with a biography of Caesar (Julius AND Augustus.) How the Irish Saved Civilization is an interesting side note on the fall of the empire. Has some basic background, too.

Read the old stuff, too, in a recent translation with a good commentary or introduction. Caesar's Gallic Wars, Tacitus.

LOL, how about 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' by Edward Gibbon!! It might be out of print but is well worth the read if you can get hold of it! :)

Phil

I am interested in the beginnings of the Roman Empire. I have subscribed to Easton Press' 100 Greatest Books series. One of them is "The Early History of Rome" by Livy. I haven't received it yet, and will have to wait for it :)

There are some older writings by Arthur Gilman that I would like to explore too. See gutenburg.net: Story of Rome From the Earliest Times to the End of the Republic. Do a search on Title's with the word "Rome".

--Tim

You could also try Jack Whyte's series The Camuloud Chronicles. The Roman empire and Roman citizens are the backbone of the series.

I can only suggest a famous book called "the 12 Ceasars"-it's not exactly about Rome, and I haven't read it, but it's one of the leading books on Rome and Roman leaders, I've heard. The Fall and Decline of the Roman empire sounds like a good bet, and Ceasar's Gallic Wars as well (I'm actually going to read them in latin soon).

Well, it's been over three years since the original poster asked about such books and they haven't been back since.

Back