• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Good novels you recommend that were published in the last 5-10 years

Sory I don't have all the authors but they shouldn't be hard to figure

Vernon God Little (?) - great book!
A Prayer for Owen Meany John Irving - my personal favorite
mr muo's traveling couch Dai Siji - Freud meets Kafka meets Woody Allen
The Historian Elizabeth Kostova - Sweeping and beautiful (read Dracula first though!)

rnmichelle said:
Well....I do, as compared to Anna Karenina, The Scarlet Letter, Jane Eyre, etc. :p In the bigger picture I guess I consider novels within the last century to be "recent."
Fair enough - I just thought that you may have made a mistake considering the title of this thread. No biggie :)

My recent favorites:

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

It depends on what you're looking for...
funny/fast/fiction the "SHOPOHOLIC" series...and other books by Sophie Kinsella

serious/post-holocaust/fiction The Golems of Gothem; Second Hand Smoke; Elijah Visable all by Thane Rosenbaum...

Enjoy!!!

mpop said:
some of the books I've enjoyed lately:

life of pi
shantaram
davinci code
holy cow
Do those have authors?

Agree with Yann Martel's Life of Pi. It's quite unique.

I have nothing wrong against formulaic writing-it's like fast food, it isn't your first choice, but it's o.k. from time to time.

SFG75 said:
I have nothing wrong against formulaic writing-it's like fast food, it isn't your first choice, but it's o.k. from time to time.

I would like to agree but I can't, because after reading so much good stuff I can't find any redeeming features in formulaic writing because a) the writing is sub-okay b) and it's far too predictable.

I've had a shot at reading a few other things recently (a thriller, a sci-fi, and a fantasy) and I can't say any of them had me wanting to read much beyond the first chapter.

I've got Atonement although I haven't read it. I have Amsterdam in my laptop bag, should I finish my current read sooner than expected.

Saturday was very good. It's written in real time. So basically you read it at a similar pace that it occurs. The entire story takes place in one, you guessed it, Saturday. The writing is lovely and the characters are easy to empathize with. The descriptions are beautiful and immersive.

I have recently purchased Amsterdam also by Ian McEwan and expect it to be just as good. I'll let you know after I've read it.

I have been reading a bunch of books since I have became a book reviewer, not so long ago though, and I have put up my blog where I write the reviews. some books are good and some not so good. but as a self-published author and knowing how hard it is to promote your book, I will place a link here to my blog where I post the reviews. you can chek it out if you have time. There is one book that I read lately, written by a self-published author that I thought was original and ingenious: "In the Light of the passing". you can check out other books as well on my blog:

http://www.neo-hippy.blogspot.com

cheers!

Back