• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Good place to buy books?

lfm

Barnes&Noble and Amazon/Borders are always reliable but arent always the cheapest places to buy books. Ive ordered books from deepdiscount.com before. Theyre usually the cheapest of the 3, but you cant always rely on them to get your order shipped out in a timely fashion.

Does anyone know of a cheap and reliable website to order books from?

Barnes & Noble is absolutely outrageous in regards to price. I got a gift certificate from someone and while I used it up, I could have received twice as many books had the person went through Amazon. I let them know that of course and advised them to get their money back, but with it being under $100.00, there really wasn't a point in their opinion.

Gotta go with Amazon. You can find just about anything there from the book jobbers, too. Like out-of-print or rare titles.
Pay close attention to the ratings on these jobbers when you use them.

While amazon does have used books at really great prices, sometimes as low as $.01, daedalusbooks.com and hamiltonbook.com both have new books at great prices and their shipping costs are per order, not per book.

I use half.com. I just ordered four new books today and it came to $15.00 total with shipping. 3 of the books are hard back. I hate to pay shipping on each individual item though. But it is still cheaper than the book store

Especially for those in college or with kids in college. I haven't bought text books from the bookstore in 3 years. I just go there to see what I need, then hit up half.com. This last semester I bought a book for $2 that was $75 for a used copy in my campus store. Score!

Especially for those in college or with kids in college. I haven't bought text books from the bookstore in 3 years. I just go there to see what I need, then hit up half.com. This last semester I bought a book for $2 that was $75 for a used copy in my campus store. Score!

Heck yes!!! I avoid buying my texts in the campus bookstore. I bought a book last semester from an online store for $10 that the campus store had for over $100 used :eek: . I believe in supporting my school, but come on, that's just a rip-off.:mad:

I usually use Amazon or B&N - if I plan to keep the book in my shelf.

If it´s just for the read, I try to swap trade my books at titletrader.com or, paperbackswap.com. That´s a cheap way and once in a while you really can get some treasures. :eek:

I like BN though they are pricey (especially without a membership) but the stores are quite nice, they carry most things and delivery is very speedy and well packed. Amazon is nice but never seems as fast as BN and of course they don't have any stores.

I love to browse small shops though, especially when I travel. Jupiter's books in oregon for instance. Or powell's in portland. Or any number of small shops locally (especially paperback shops that trade/sell cheap)

also buy from my local hastings entertainment store as well

I not only trade/sell locally but sell on amazon quite a bit as well

I like to buy the books that I'm going to read from Ebay, and the books that I'm going to sell from a real bricks and mortar auction.

I buy books from Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble. Usually Barnes and Noble, even though it's quite expensive (I'd use Amazon more often, but I don't feel like using the credit card all the time just to buy books).

sadly im unable to buy on the internet but i guess i make up for it! chapters is always a fav...library sales...oh there is a cute used bookstore in my town and i go there a lot...coles...OH the best ever! riverworks in st jacobs the highest price is 5 bucks and the books are new! hardcover...basiclly nethin you can get the BEST deals there!

Coles/Chapters (they are the same company, just different names) for my brand new books, but I sometimes go to a used bookstore for some of my selection as well. When I go to the used bookstore, I usually go to see what they have before I purchase something, if at all. If I go to purchase Christian materials, I go to a local Christian bookstore to get that sort of materials or I order through Chapters if I don't find it there.

But personally I think it depends on the selection of the material that one can get and where you prefer to go, whether it is a local bookstore or a national-wide chain.

Hi everyone :)

I buy my books from Half/Amazon.

booksalefinder.com/is also pretty cool to find out where the closest library sales are going on.

I always go with Amazon or the local used book shops. As for the B&N price, try living the UK, the prices here are entirely laughable. £8 for a new book which is $16... and that's just paperback. Even going to the charity shops for used books and paying £2 feels ridiculous to me. A return to reasonable book prices is one of the things I'm looking forward to most when I go back.

I usually just stick with Coles/Chapters and used book stores. I wish I could order from amazon or any online store but alas I do not have a working credit card. Now if only I could find one that took paypal.

First I go to Half Price Books. If they don't have it, I may go either to Barnes and Noble or online to Alibris.com. You can't really go wrong with Alibris - I get some really cheap books there. (But I still bow down to Half Price Books!)

Our local Goodwill Industries store has a HUGE book section. Not organized, but good. If not there, then Half-Price. If not there, then Amazon.

One place I drop by occasionally is a converted Wild-West saloon from a hundred and some years ago in Black Diamond, Washington called Baker Street Books. I once picked up a signed hardback of '2010' there.

Back