• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Great Books that Should Be Made Into Movies and Which Actors Would You Cast?

Stewart said:
Noted?

Anyway, here's how James Patterson does it.

by noted I meant dollar sales, which I guess your link explains it. Well I'm glad to say he's not getting my dollars. Libraries are such nice things to have when testing out authors I've never read before.

Stewart said:
Next time someone asks me what is a good example of a Great American Novel then I will most certainly point them in the direction of The Da Vinci Code or The Pelican Brief.

Didn't your mother teach you not to point? :p;)

spikeyli said:
by noted I meant dollar sales

Okay. By noted I would have presumed critical acclaim.

Well I'm glad to say he's not getting my dollars.
Not even a teency weency one? He really needs them. How else is he going to pay people to write his books for him? :rolleyes:

Libraries are such nice things to have when testing out authors I've never read before.
I bet the libraries loathe having to pay out cash to authors like him too when people borrow such books.

Judging by the time of crap that our libraries are filled with, I doubt the librarians care what they put on the shelf. You're assuming people who does the book ordering really care about the quality of reading material versus doing a job by filling the rooms with what is in the markets. Also like I said before, people are entitled to their opinions. I'm sure there are books you think are the greatest that many people on this forum will think are trash. Should they make an assumption on you based on what their opinion of your reading material? I sure hope not because that would mean that person is very narrow minded.

I do want to reiterate that this thread is about what books should be made into movies and which actors would you cast, not a debate on what constitutes "the Great American Novel".

Anyway, books that would make good films:

Based on a selection of the books I've read - and sometimes abandoned - this year, for better or for worse, then I would say:

Oranges by John McPhee. It would be a documentary although the orange picking chapters would have to be updated to describe modern processes.

Independent People by Halldor Laxness. Would make a good film purely because I haven't a clue what he was on about before I left it off at page 100. And I want to know how it ends. And I want to know how it starts.

A Sweet Scent Of Death by Guillermo Arriaga. It was a film poorly disguised as a novel and Arriaga should just have written it as a screenplay from the start. It's where he excels.

Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin. He's gay, the other's swinging both ways, and his pretty partner is on her way back to France. The triangle here, done gritty, could be interesting.

The Story Of Mr Sommer by Patrick Süskind. Probably more of an animation with a dark tone.

I've always thought David Lynch ought to make a movie out of one of Thomas Pynchon's novels - say, "V". With Bob Dylan in the lead role. No one would understand ANYTHING, but I'd love it.

I beat Jim Jarmusch could do something with Jonathan Lethem's "Motherless Brooklyn" (leaving aside that it would be way too much like "Ghost Dog"). And Paul Auster should make more movies of his own works; "Lulu On The Bridge" wasn't bad.

Generally speaking, though, I find it very hard to tell which books will make good movies. So much depends on the director, screenwriter and actors. I mean, who would have thought you could actually film "Naked Lunch", or that the utter tripe that is "Jaws" would make for a great movie? Normally, what gets transferred from book to movie is the bare bones of the plot, and a lot of the time that's the least interesting part of a book.

Cross Stitch (aka Outlander) by Diana Gabaldon is one book that I would love to see turned into a movie. I think that the movie rights may have been sold, but I'm not too sure on that.

And just as a little aside; what's up with casting Dakota Fanning as the young girl in everything? Two movies that I was really looking forward to (The Secret Life of Bees and The Lovely Bones) both have her on the cast, even though she doesn't fit either of the characters at all - I think that she is far too young for both. And her acting sucks. Go figure :rolleyes:

I want to see Paradise Lost. It's the ultimate story.

Cast:

God: Sean Connery (as previously stated by Eddie Izzard)
Satan: Gary Oldman
Adam: Steve from Beverly Hills 90210 (No one cares about Adam anyway)
Eve:Jennifer Love Hewitt (No one cares about Eve anyway)

Any thoughts?

pink shadow said:
I want to see Paradise Lost. It's the ultimate story.

Cast:

God: Sean Connery (as previously stated by Eddie Izzard)
Satan: Gary Oldman
Adam: Steve from Beverly Hills 90210 (No one cares about Adam anyway)
Eve:Jennifer Love Hewitt (No one cares about Eve anyway)

Any thoughts?

Sean Connery is an interesting choice for god, but I think he's a fine actor and he can pull off the role (as long as I can keep my mind off him being a former Bond :p ). I don't think Gary Oldman would make a good Satan, my vision of Satan has always been very attractive, flashy, irresistable, and persuasive, I just don't see Gary Oldman as any of those. Now here's a question for you, do you envision Satan as old looking or young? I've always thought maybe Satan would look like a person around 30ish. I also imagined Satan as being female instead of male. But assuming the devil is male, I'd say Olivier Martinez from Unfaithful would do nicely. He's definitely got the look that can persuade a woman to fall from grace;) Now if Satan were a woman, there's no better actress to play the part than Angelina Jolie. That girl can seduce even the Pope if she wants to.

As for Adam and Eve, I don't see Ian Ziering or Jennifer Love Hewitt as either. I think of Adam as a man (sorry, I can't see past Zierring's 90210 surf boy days) with vulnerabilities but also loyalties and strength, maybe someone like Eric Bana or Russell Crowe. Eve I see someone who's confused, vain, and selfish, maybe someone like Jennifer Aniston (FYI, I'm not an Aniston fan) or Jennifer Lopez.

Spikeyli, I think we have a different point of view when it comes to Satan. I don't know if you've read anything from Paradise Lost, but Satan is by far the most interesting and complicated character and certainly not of the "guy on the cover with his nipples showing" variety. That's why I suggested Oldman who I think is a great actor, very good at playing all sorts of parts, and since Satan is a man battling with all sorts of demons (no pun intended) I thought he might fit. Just look at him in Leon!

As for Adam and Eve, that was more of a joke. They're just not that interesting in the story at all and very pale compared to Satan, that's why I suggested those pale actors.

Having said that, this is an interesting discussion! How we perceive God and Satan. Hmmm...

Generally speaking, if I were to cast someone as Satan, I'd pick the nicest, most likable actor I could find; someone who's seen at least 65, with a grandfatherish quality. Someone everyone will trust instinctively, listen to his advice and follow without questioning or realizing that they're actually doing the devil's work. Someone like... oh, I dunno... Joel Grey, maybe. Gene Hackman or Dustin Hoffman might pull it off. Maybe even Donald Sutherland or Harry Dean Stanton, though they might be a bit too scruffy-looking.

This, of course, is opposed to Tom Cruise, who IS Satan.

beer good said:
Generally speaking, if I were to cast someone as Satan, I'd pick the nicest, most likable actor I could find; someone who's seen at least 65, with a grandfatherish quality. Someone everyone will trust instinctively, listen to his advice and follow without questioning or realizing that they're actually doing the devil's work. Someone like... oh, I dunno... Joel Grey, maybe. Gene Hackman or Dustin Hoffman might pull it off. Maybe even Donald Sutherland or Harry Dean Stanton, though they might be a bit too scruffy-looking.

This, of course, is opposed to Tom Cruise, who IS Satan.

BG-next time, please give warning when you're about to post a funny..I nearly choked on my sandwich:D

No I hadn't read Paradise Lost, I was just going with an image of what I have of God and Satan in my head. I like the idea of Satan being a version of everybody's sweet grandpa, but I think the younger version still holds more allure. But then again, I'm sure Satan can shape shift.

Tom Cruise is not Satan, he's just an alien trapped in a short man's body. Bin Laden is Satan.

bin Laden is more like Jesus, what with all that lurking about in caves and is he dead or is he alive stuff. Plus the beard.

Stewart said:
bin Laden is more like Jesus, what with all that lurking about in caves and is he dead or is he alive stuff. Plus the beard.

Well, Jesus never told one of his followers to go and blow up airplanes or federal buildings anywhere..;)

Bin Laden is not a son of God and Jesus did not start war on the "infidels". Now what people have done in the name of Christianity is a different story, but Jesus did not preach hate and discrimination. I equate Bin Laden more with Hitler, they share a cult leader like similarity.

We're breaking now for a short message from our sponsors.......

Has everyone stopped discussing Jesus and his politics? Good.

I think beergood is on to something with Dustin Hoffman. I can definitely see him as Satan. I a good way.

You think Tom Cruise is an alien? What about George Bush? Totally bodysnatched!

Back