• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Great Books that Should Be Made Into Movies and Which Actors Would You Cast?

abecedarian said:
Jesus never told one of his followers to go and blow up airplanes or federal buildings anywhere..;)

Being a carpenter, Jesus was no stranger to a plane himself. As for federal buildings, his pals were tax collectors - he was up to something.

oh, i saw both of those (troy and KOH). neither were something i'll rush to see again, but mainly due to script writing and directing rather than acting. i thought brad pitt was yummy, though!

hmm. i like james patterson, i especially loved suzanne's diary to nicholas, which was his break-out from psychological thriller into tear-jerker.

a lot of my books i get from either my grandmother (who just died but left me her entire book collection, including many collectibles and ancient books from anything from shakespeare to jane austen to dan brown and many others - she read at least a book a day and her mind was as sharp at 81 as any 20+ year-old i meet. her doctors even said they rarely saw a brain that had no atrophy at that age - IT IS THE READING I TELL YOU! she kept her mind sharp and used it often). i also get them from my father-in-law, who also goes through books like i go through diet coke! he gives me whatever he finishes, but i don't always like what he gets and sometimes just take them to half price books to get a little $ and get something i like.

i devled into fantasy books on my own. well, my dad liked them, so i got a little from him, but then started reading recommendations by my favorite authors and have gone from there.

interesting article, which reminds me that stephen king is probably one of my favorite authors. i like some clancy, as well. just noted those in the articles.

pink shadow said:
I want to see Paradise Lost. It's the ultimate story.

Cast:

God: Sean Connery (as previously stated by Eddie Izzard)
Satan: Gary Oldman
Adam: Steve from Beverly Hills 90210 (No one cares about Adam anyway)
Eve:Jennifer Love Hewitt (No one cares about Eve anyway)

Any thoughts?

hmm . . . i think anything that requires the voice of God should be done by James Earl Jones.

I think the devil has best been played by Al Pacino.

And I think the other two you quoted are mediocre actors at best and should never be seen in a quality film, such as should be made for such notable works as Paradise Lost (IMHO) if you're going for great bods and faces for adam and eve might as well make it Angelina and Brad

spikeyli said:
Sean Connery is an interesting choice for god, but I think he's a fine actor and he can pull off the role (as long as I can keep my mind off him being a former Bond :p ). I don't think Gary Oldman would make a good Satan, my vision of Satan has always been very attractive, flashy, irresistable, and persuasive, I just don't see Gary Oldman as any of those. Now here's a question for you, do you envision Satan as old looking or young? I've always thought maybe Satan would look like a person around 30ish. I also imagined Satan as being female instead of male. But assuming the devil is male, I'd say Olivier Martinez from Unfaithful would do nicely. He's definitely got the look that can persuade a woman to fall from grace;) Now if Satan were a woman, there's no better actress to play the part than Angelina Jolie. That girl can seduce even the Pope if she wants to.

As for Adam and Eve, I don't see Ian Ziering or Jennifer Love Hewitt as either. I think of Adam as a man (sorry, I can't see past Zierring's 90210 surf boy days) with vulnerabilities but also loyalties and strength, maybe someone like Eric Bana or Russell Crowe. Eve I see someone who's confused, vain, and selfish, maybe someone like Jennifer Aniston (FYI, I'm not an Aniston fan) or Jennifer Lopez.

well, in the Hebrew translation of the Bible it is clear that the term angel (or messenger) is in the masculine form and thus all angels are male and Satan was the ultimate angel fallen from grace, so it would have to be a guy

spikeyli said:
No I hadn't read Paradise Lost, I was just going with an image of what I have of God and Satan in my head. I like the idea of Satan being a version of everybody's sweet grandpa, but I think the younger version still holds more allure. But then again, I'm sure Satan can shape shift.

Tom Cruise is not Satan, he's just an alien trapped in a short man's body. Bin Laden is Satan.

oh, you really need to read it. it is fascinating. and also read the story behind the author and his writing of it! awesome!

pink shadow said:
We're breaking now for a short message from our sponsors.......

Has everyone stopped discussing Jesus and his politics? Good.

I think beergood is on to something with Dustin Hoffman. I can definitely see him as Satan. I a good way.

You think Tom Cruise is an alien? What about George Bush? Totally bodysnatched!

i thought we were going off politics!

btw, i do not see dustin hoffman as satan. again, i stand by al pacino!

I agree with Brangelina being Adam and Eve, hee hee it can be art imitate life since she seduced him away from Aniston ;) And honestly, I think they make one heck of a beautiful couple.

I can't imagine James Earl Jones as the voice of god, somehow Darth Vader's voice doesn't cut it for me. Although I think Alan Rickman has a great voice as god, in fact he was the voice of God in Dogma. Great movie, very funny.

lady.cordelia said:
i thought we were going off politics!

btw, i do not see dustin hoffman as satan. again, i stand by al pacino!

you're just saying Pacino because he played Satan in Devil's Advocate;)

And yes I think Tom Cruise is an alien because that's what Scientologists believe, that they're alien souls trapped inside a human body (poor Katie Holmes). And I think he's an alien just because nobody on earth can be this insane and yet remain stubbornly popular, there must be some unexplained force behind it that we can't explain.

No explanation on George Bush, I think he's human, but I think on election day he put something in the water of Americans to vote for him. Well he's on his way out anyway, 2 more years...

spikeyli said:
And yes I think Tom Cruise is an alien because that's what Scientologists believe, that they're alien souls trapped inside a human body (poor Katie Holmes). And I think he's an alien just because nobody on earth can be this insane and yet remain stubbornly popular, there must be some unexplained force behind it that we can't explain.

No explanation on George Bush, I think he's human, but I think on election day he put something in the water of Americans to vote for him. Well he's on his way out anyway, 2 more years...

hmph . . . and i was starting to like you, too! :p

spikeyli said:
Judging by the time of crap that our libraries are filled with, I doubt the librarians care what they put on the shelf. You're assuming people who does the book ordering really care about the quality of reading material versus doing a job by filling the rooms with what is in the markets.
You are kidding. :eek:

I dont know about there (actually, I don't know where you are, but...) in the UK you need zillions of qualifications etc to become a librarian. These people know books, I think they do care about the types of books they are forced to stock, somehow.

Stewart said:
A Sweet Scent Of Death by Guillermo Arriaga. It was a film poorly disguised as a novel and Arriaga should just have written it as a screenplay from the start. It's where he excels.
21 Grams fella? Remember your review.

Stewart said:
abc said:
Jesus never told one of his followers to go and blow up airplanes or federal buildings anywhere..;)
Being a carpenter, Jesus was no stranger to a plane himself. As for federal buildings, his pals were tax collectors - he was up to something.
:D

But bin Laden does look like Jesus...

This Paradise Lost thing would just be like a Little Nicky, only without Adam Sandler it would be less cool.

I think Life of Pi by Yann Martel would make a good film. Not too bothered about the casting of the boy, but it would need a real Tiger, at least. :cool:

It could be a more interesting Open Water...

Jeez, can't think what I've read. Out, by Natsuo Kirino, would just be yet another crazy Japanese horror. ;)

The life stories was interesting...

Well, I was dusting my book shelf last night and I came across Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang. Since there seem to be a big movement of making war movies (Saving Private Ryan) and grotesque torture movies (Hostile) these days I thought they can combine two in one and make a movie about Rape of Nanking. First time I read the book, I threw up after chapter 2.

But I don't see this will ever be made a movie, it caused enough protest by the Japanese when the book was first published. I believe it's still banned in Japan to this day. Sad really. You don't see the German government denying what really happened during the war. Heck they turned it into a money making scheme by opening the concentration camps to tourists!

lady.cordelia said:
And I think the other two you quoted are mediocre actors at best and should never be seen in a quality film, such as should be made for such notable works as Paradise Lost (IMHO) if you're going for great bods and faces for adam and eve might as well make it Angelina and Brad

I shall never again joke about serious things like Paradise Lost. My bad. And I don't know about you, but I don't consider Steve from 90210 a "great bod and face" ;).

pink shadow said:
I shall never again joke about serious things like Paradise Lost. My bad. And I don't know about you, but I don't consider Steve from 90210 a "great bod and face" ;).

neither do i - totally not. yuck

however, i do think pretty faces should go with adam and eve, therefore i said brangelina! ;)

It might have been done already, but The Trial by Franz Kafka would make a great movie. With Nicholas Cage as lead actor! I wouldn't like a modernized version, but one with a modified-20's surrealist style about it would be great.

Also, For Whom The Bell Tolls would be great, but I can't imagine anyone who could be Robert Jordan.

Back