• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

great food memories

saliotthomas

I don't mean the gourmet restaurant,or perfectly made diner,but the conjunction of a moment and a special dish or snack that make it memorable.

Like a rainy night in Bangkok,living a jazz club and eating a noddle soup.It really made me fell like in Blade runner,the neon light,plastic roof,smoking excellent soup.

In jaipur in India,some fresh samosa and a lassi,a mornig of brigh sunshine.

A ripe goat cheese and a crispy baguette near Chenonceau in France.

A packet soup after a long treck in the alpes,when your frozen and exhausted,and it's warm and delicious(not in other circonstances).

An octopus "a la plancha"in the deep south of Morroco,in tiny restaurant on the beach.
the list is endless...

Foie gras and Champagne in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower last December.

Gambas in garlic oil right beside the Mediterranean (first time I'd seen it) at Argelès-Plage, just before Easter in 2006.

Bratwurst, sauerkraut, potatoes, pickles and soured cream, in a wonderful bar/restaurant on the Friedrichstaße in Berlin a few years ago.

My first steak tartare in Perpignan last year.

My first snails in an Italian restraurant in Blackpool a couple of years ago.

Poffertjes on the Bloemengracht in Amsterdam.

Great,reading your list make me start to salivate-i'll fixe some gnocci with to mato sauce,bit of garlic-
I'll be in Paris tomorrow,can't way for some proper cheese,simple wine,and charcuterie(pork meat)
The gambas sound delicious!

A black pudding and bacon crepe in Normandie – my introduction to the marvels of Galettes.

Open potato pie and red cabbage – every bonfire night.

Melted blue cheese and chips in a Boston bar a couple of years ago – I was jet lagged, forgot what US chips are and lucked out with this marvellous bar snack.

I remember....

My mother's home-made peach ice cream. She had a real ice cream freezer, the kind where you add salt and ice and turn the crank. Usually she made vanilla but once, during peach season, she made it with fresh peaches.

Fish and Chips................anywhere

Great chris! Thanks for the unpretentious, honest reply. :D

Talk about showing off -:rolleyes: It reminds me of the meal I had with Oscar Wilde and Billy Shakespere on Uranus - truffle and mash with tomato ketchup and a side order of Baluga cavier.

Unfortunately, I chucked-up.

Good food is a show off,and fish and ships honest?

Is it the same with books,like let say Tolstoy is a poseur,and Dick Francis a nice Honest fellow?

Good food is a show off,and fish and ships honest?

Is it the same with books,like let say Tolstoy is a poseur,and Dick Francis a nice Honest fellow?

Perhaps';)

You'll be telling us next how much fun you had reading Ulysses as you crunched into an apple under the tree in Eden.:D :D :D

Because you never left the hole you live in,does not mean the rest of the world a fancyfull fiction.

Jaybe's fishing hole is in the apple you bit. And the fish took the tackled worm in the festal passage, or barreled hole. A meal to remember no better than Eve's

quote saliotthomas Because you never left the hole you live in,does not mean the rest of the world a fancyfull fiction.

helgi Thanks for your response to this amazingly witty, original, well constructed sentence. I've been awake all night trying to think of a suitably crushing reply. And you did it for me.:) Ta again. kissy kissy.

I must say that the scent of food is what triggers my memories. For instance, the smell of fudge baking always reminds me of my grandmother's house in the country when I was a kid.

The smell of hickory smoke always makes me think of beautiful summer weekends at home with friends (I smoke a LOT of meat in the summer).

There is a smell that I cannot even describe (tropical, seafood, flowery) that reminds me of dinner near the Crater in Hawaii.

The scent of jasmine rice always makes me think of a close friend who introduced me to it. Curry reminds me of another.

The smell of Ramen noodles always takes me back to mine and the hubby's first apartment when we could afford to eat little else.

My all-time favorite scent, however, is the smell of (good) beer brewing. That scent reminds me of both warm and cold hours spent over a brew kettle brewing beer with my favorite person, my hubby. The malt and the hops, mmmmm. That smell will always remind me of him.

My all-time favorite scent, however, is the smell of (good) beer brewing. That scent reminds me of both warm and cold hours spent over a brew kettle brewing beer with my favorite person, my hubby. The malt and the hops, mmmmm. That smell will always remind me of him.

A very nice digression on the sense of smell,witch ,more abstrac is nonetheless as strong as taste.
I lived in Cork (Irlande)for a year and the smell of breweries is still strong on my mind.
On the main road to my house there a olive oil press and, specialy at night on my way home,make for a nice greeting.
Thanks again for this nice tough beerwench13

Back