• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Greatest Living British Author

Doug Johnson said:
IMO getting children to read is probably more difficult than getting an Ayatollah to put a bounty on your head. (I'm not willing to test my theory, but it would be an interesting experiment.;))
Speaking of which, the murder of the translator of "The Satanic Verses" is still not cleared up and will soon be written off as the statute of limitations on murder is 15 years in Japan. And Rushdie is still in hiding. But hey, writing books about 12-year-old wizards is, like, hard and stuff.

EDIT: Sorry, that may have sounded a bit harsh. I just don't think it's a very funny matter, that's all, especially since I happened to read the above article just a few minutes ago.

beer good said:
Sorry, that may have sounded a bit harsh. I just don't think it's a very funny matter, that's all, especially since I happened to read the above article just a few minutes ago.

I don't think it's funny that it's easier to make someone someone want to kill you than it is to get millions of kids to read. I do, however, think it's true. Lots of things are true, but not funny.

muggle said:
What we seem to be seeing is...."read what I like or do not read at all".

Nothing more or nothing less. To even suggest that people that like Rowling or Dan Brown would be better off not to read is .......:D

I think you may be one . short, Muggle :D Then again it might be a completely different word to what I think ;)

Doug Johnson said:
I don't think it's funny that it's easier to make someone someone want to kill you than it is to get millions of kids to read. I do, however, think it's true. Lots of things are true, but not funny.
Generally speaking, perhaps. But I find it very hard to believe that writing the beautiful, multi-layered work that is "The Satanic Verses" was any easier than writing "The Philosopher's Stone", and in the end, that's all Rushdie did to make people want to kill him.

But this, of course, is a non-argument. What matters is not how difficult a book was to write, but how good it is. I've read "The Philosopher's Stone", and if JK Rowling is the greatest English writer, I'm a bowl of soup.

How does a "great" piece of writing serve society if hardly anybody reads it?

verses

How "bad" can a book be if it engages, and encourages more reading in people that otherwise might not read at all?

I don't have a strong opinion on "Who's the greatest." I just think getting millions of children to read is a tremendous accomplishment.

I also think that becoming richer than the Queen of England by writing is a tremendous accomplishment. (If anyone out there truly believed that it was easy, they'd either:

A) try it.
B) not want to be richer than the Queen of England.
C) be making so much money in their day job that it wasn't worth their while.)

beer good said:
Generally speaking, perhaps. But I find it very hard to believe that writing the beautiful, multi-layered work that is "The Satanic Verses" was any easier than writing "The Philosopher's Stone", and in the end, that's all Rushdie did to make people want to kill him.

But this, of course, is a non-argument. What matters is not how difficult a book was to write, but how good it is. I've read "The Philosopher's Stone", and if JK Rowling is the greatest English writer, I'm a bowl of soup.

Rest assured BG you are not a bowl of soup! JK Rowling has churned out wonderfully entertaining stories that I enjoy reading with my kids. We have a wonderful time discussing them and speculating where Harry's story will go next. That's fun. But writers like Rushdie do much more than just entertain. They force their readers to think, sometimes forcing them to change preconcieved ideas. Comparing Rowling to Rushdie makes me think of apples and oranges, and that's not fair to either one.

abecedarian said:
Comparing Rowling to Rushdie makes me think of apples and oranges, and that's not fair to either one.

Very astute. I believe that commercial fiction and literary fiction both have their strengths and weaknesses. Readers can enjoy both. Enjoying one over the other doesn't automatically make you a good person. Good writers can take the strengths from both. (Shakespeare had some good blood splattering plots.)

Also, I heard about a child who asked her mother if a character in Harry Potter was "good or bad?" The mother said that the character was trying to decide whether he wanted to be good or bad.

The kid asked, "People can do that?"

I think the kid learned a very important lesson. Arguably, a more important lesson than any adult ever learned from (insert name of your favourite literary writer here.)

beer good said:
Interesting to here all about that. For me, I was surprised to see Salman Rushdie as part of the top 3 best authors. Actually, it’s the first time I know about him and his books.

For those who read his work, what do you think of it? In addition, what made it so popular although he was blasphemous?

Samerron said:
Interesting to here all about that. For me, I was surprised to see Salman Rushdie as part of the top 3 best authors. Actually, it’s the first time I know about him and his books.

For those who read his work, what do you think of it? In addition, what made it so popular although he was blasphemous?

I've only read Shalimar the Clown, so I'm not much of an expert on Mr. Rushdie's work. But here's a related thread to get you started:

http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9740&highlight=rushdie

Motokid said:

verses

How "bad" can a book be if it engages, and encourages more reading in people that otherwise might not read at all?
If I were an elitist, I'd argue that the value of encouraging people to read would be significantly diminished if "hardly any" of these moved on to reading great pieces of writing. Fortunately, I don't have to; there's plenty of great writers who have a lot of readers - perhaps not as many as Rowling, but still, more than "hardly anybody".

Doug Johnson said:
I just think getting millions of children to read is a tremendous accomplishment.
Absolutely. Writing good children's literature isn't something you do just like that, and Rowling apparently deserves praise for this. But when a poll like this is topped by a children's writer, the question is - is the list voted on by grown-ups who still read children's literature, or do grown-ups not read? And if so, what does that mean for the future of publishing? We've already seen it in music and movies; the industry focuses everything on the PG-13 Mickey Mouse crowd. Britney Spears, too, is richer than the Queen of England... or at least whoever makes money off her songs is. This is a big off-topic and I probably shouldn't even have started it. Oh well. Who knows, Rowling's fans are still young, maybe many of them will discover that there's other things to read. Hope springs eternal. At least...

abecedarian said:
Rest assured BG you are not a bowl of soup!
Well thank God. That would have been WAY too hot in this weather. :D

Motokid said:
Perhaps as an example of how not to write.

Motokid said:
Not bad at all. It is a great accomplishment to get people interested in reading. Many writers have no idea how to accomplish it.

Stewart said:
Who the hell is that then? :mad:
?
elton.john.jpg
?

Edit: That was as butch a photo as I could find...

I don't have an opinion on who is the greatest liveing british author but my favorite british author is Richard Adams. I have most of his works and really love them. (Except for Shardik - this one disapointed me)

muggle said:
Perhaps as an example of how not to write.

Not bad at all. It is a great accomplishment to get people interested in reading. Many writers have no idea how to accomplish it.

Cheers muggle my man...cheers...:)

(we don't do that very often do we...)

How does a "great" piece of writing serve society if hardly anybody reads it? How "bad" can a book be if it engages, and encourages more reading in people that otherwise might not read at all?

Motokid I'm not ignoring you - or by silence agreeing with you!! - but these points have been gone over ad nauseam in the Mainstream Blockbuster thread you linked to earlier. In brief however:

What's serving society got to do with it? It's not the writer's fault if a great book isn't widely read: it could be the fault of the publishers for not promoting it, or readers for not making the effort to engage with it. Only now, on my fourth attempt, am I really getting something out of Love in the Time of Cholera. That's not Márquez's fault for writing a book which requires more attention than most of the stuff I read; it's my fault for not being prepared to make the effort before now, and for expecting the book to conform to my usual reading requirements.

As for Rushdie, it's interesting that he scored so highly in the list because he is of course the most famous literary writer around, although sadly for non-literary reasons. My take on his stuff is probably elsewhere on the board, but he can be difficult (and his The Moor's Last Sigh, one of his most highly praised novels, is another one that I have attempted and failed a couple of times; next challenge after Márquez then?), but immensely rich and rewarding to read when he is on form.

There also seems to be a presumption in the points by muggle, Poppy1 and Motokid that only crappy formula fiction can get people interested in reading. Why would this be? There's plenty of highly accessible great writing out there, from Adams (Douglas or Richard) to Chandler to Fante to Greene to Ishiguro to Wells to Wodehouse to Wyndham to Yates. None of them writes difficult books structurally or linguistically.

As for becoming rich through writing, that's more a question of luck than judgement. In Rushdie's case, bad luck.

Shade said:
Motokid I'm not ignoring you - or by silence agreeing with you!!

Shade my friend, I'd never assume your silence meant you were agreeing with me. :) I think we've known each other long enough now that something of that nature isn't bound to happen.

Only now, on my fourth attempt, am I really getting something out of Love in the Time of Cholera.

Wow. You had to read a book 4 times before you could "really start getting something out of it"?

I certainly don't think you can expect many people to put that much effort into anything, let alone reading, but that's what makes us all different and unique. ;)

I just think to label something people have read as "crap" automatically puts others on the defensive, and you might make more headway in educating people about "better" books through congradulations and suggestions, rather than a direct assault on their past choices.

Back